http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/the-starting-fives-big-east-part-2-114900
ST. JOHN'S

G Malik Boothe So
G Quincy Roberts Fr
F DJ Kennedy So
F Anthony Mason Jr Sr
C Justin Burrell So

6 Paris Horne (G/F)

Notes: The other main reserves will be freshman TyShawn Edmondson, who has the talent to possibly knock Boothe out of the PG role, as well as returning forwards Sean Evans and Tomas Jasiulionis

Re: BIG EAST: PART TWO, STARTING 5's
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »
Good job outta Peter with the comments down at the bottom

kob24

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »
Horrible

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 04:18:56 AM »
Horrible

Agreed.  This is a absurd.  Burrell is not going to be the center and Q is not going to start at guard.  The notion that Boothe even has a chance of being the 2nd string PG is insane.  Really couldn't have done any worse IMO. 

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:23:03 PM »
Horrible

Agreed.  This is a absurd.  Burrell is not going to be the center and Q is not going to start at guard.  The notion that Boothe even has a chance of being the 2nd string PG is insane.  Really couldn't have done any worse IMO. 

The only things the author got correct was Paris being the 6th man and sean as the first big off the bench.

Tyshawn is not ready to contribute on this level so expect malik to play 30+ minutes at the point. Can he handle it alone?

Tomas will get some burn early on but expect his minutes to dwindle down to zero once phil gets more comfortable.

PG-Boothe
SG-Mason Jr.
SF-Kennedy
PF-Burrell
C-Coker

Don't sleep on rob or quincy.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »
West Virginia and Cuse looked stacked

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
This is pretty funny. I'd agree with niterider and we might see Tomas early on but as the season wears on more and more Dele. I think coach might fear Dele getting into foul trouble too early if he starts him. This way Tomas gives a fresh 5 min of high energy to start the game and rides the bench. I also think we see Evans/Burrell combo a lot too but Evans is most effective off the bench. He is a high energy spark player who changes the tempo of the game a bit. Where does Wait fit in to all of this? We'll see.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »
if tomas improves as much from his junior year to his senior year as he did from his sophomore to his junior...he should be a decent player.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
if tomas improves as much from his junior year to his senior year as he did from his sophomore to his junior...he should be a decent player.
???!!!  No offense, but I don't see how Tomas improved.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »
i'll admit i haven't seen him.  just speculating here.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »
I mean from soph to junior year.  If anything, I think he was a little hurt and looked (suprisingly) less mobile when he played.

kob24

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
night rider mason was the starting three last year what make u think he is gonna be the two.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
I mean from soph to junior year.  If anything, I think he was a little hurt and looked (suprisingly) less mobile when he played.

Tomas is good for spurts of about 4 min. I do think he is servicable in small spurts. After that 4 min though he stops boxing out, stop making his cuts and picks as hard, etc.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »
night rider mason was the starting three last year what make u think he is gonna be the two.

I don't think we really have a true two that is a legit Big East starter.  Kennedy and Mase are both better suited for the three, but I can't see either sitting too long. I think we'l see a lot of Boothe-Kennedy-Mase-Burrell 1-4 and I don't know who will be playing the two out of Kennedy and Mase.  Then again, coach likes to have two ball handlers out there and both of those guys have suspect handles.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 11:04:36 PM »

I don't think we really have a true two that is a legit Big East starter.  Kennedy and Mase are both better suited for the three, but I can't see either sitting too long. I think we'l see a lot of Boothe-Kennedy-Mase-Burrell 1-4 and I don't know who will be playing the two out of Kennedy and Mase.  Then again, coach likes to have two ball handlers out there and both of those guys have suspect handles.
Maybe Paris will get more PT.  Not that he has a strong handle either... but if coach doesn't bring in enough ball handlers, it's on him.  And you're right, that will be the most common lineup.

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 12:24:29 AM »

The fact he is our best three point shooter and a better passer than DJ.  I also believe encouraging Mase to get to the basket  more is a bad idea. He might end up leading the conference in TO's if he handles the ball too much in the half court. If i am norm i run a bunch of screens every poseesion and tell Mase to bomb away whenever he gets an open shot.  Then crash the boards and fill the lane on the break.

Kennedy is a perfect fit at the 3 spot imo.

Malik is the key to the season.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:59 AM »

The fact he is our best three point shooter and a better passer than DJ.  I also believe encouraging Mase to get to the basket  more is a bad idea. He might end up leading the conference in TO's if he handles the ball too much in the half court. If i am norm i run a bunch of screens every poseesion and tell Mase to bomb away whenever he gets an open shot.  Then crash the boards and fill the lane on the break.

Kennedy is a perfect fit at the 3 spot imo.

Malik is the key to the season.

I'm glad you aren't our coach. I think Mason needs to get to the line a whole lot more and he has a pretty good game above the rim so why not use it? Just because he wants him to get to the rim more doesn't necessarily mean he is going to handle the ball too much. I'd like Mason to play a bit more like Stanley Robinson than JJ Reddick.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »
I too failed to see the improvement in Tomas last year and thought there was some regression at least in his focus. I also agree that Mason should go to the basket more but also crash the boards for rebounds when he and others shoot. Early on he made some outstanding offensive bounds that were translated into easy hoops or at least another possession. He seems to take a probable angle (reminiscent of Oakley) making it easier to scoop up the ball and either rack up easy deuces or get to the line.