Bad news for Seton Hall

• 20 replies
Bad news for Seton Hall
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:45:32 PM »

http://www.zagsblog.net/
Some bad news for Seton Hall fans.

Herb Pope’s initial request for a waiver that would enable him to play for the 2008-09 season has been denied. Seton Hall plans to appeal the decision to the NCAA Subcommittee.

The 6-foot-9 Pope transferred from New Mexico State and was hoping to play this year because of extenuating circumstances related to his family.

Seton Hall, meanwhile, is still awaiting word on whether 6-11 freshman Melvyn “Big Mel” Oliver has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

“They got all the stuff in the Clearinghouse so they’re waiting to hear back from them right now,” said Victor Evans, Oliver’s high school coach. “You never know. You just give them what they ask for. They’re just waiting. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. It shouldn’t be.”

If Oliver, Pope and Missouri transfer Keon Lawrence, who is also seeking a waiver to play this year, are not cleared to play, the Pirates will have eight scholarship players, seven when Robert “Stix” Mitchell serves his two-game suspension at the Puerto Rico Tip

Re: Bad news for Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

http://www.zagsblog.net/
Some bad news for Seton Hall fans.

Herb Pope’s initial request for a waiver that would enable him to play for the 2008-09 season has been denied. Seton Hall plans to appeal the decision to the NCAA Subcommittee.

The 6-foot-9 Pope transferred from New Mexico State and was hoping to play this year because of extenuating circumstances related to his family.

Seton Hall, meanwhile, is still awaiting word on whether 6-11 freshman Melvyn “Big Mel” Oliver has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

“They got all the stuff in the Clearinghouse so they’re waiting to hear back from them right now,” said Victor Evans, Oliver’s high school coach. “You never know. You just give them what they ask for. They’re just waiting. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. It shouldn’t be.”

If Oliver, Pope and Missouri transfer Keon Lawrence, who is also seeking a waiver to play this year, are not cleared to play, the Pirates will have eight scholarship players, seven when Robert “Stix” Mitchell serves his two-game suspension at the Puerto Rico Tip

Hard to feel bad for them or anyone else when we have had more than our recent share of troubles/bad luck.
IMHO no reason for any of these kids to get preferential treatment.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/10/14/glover-lawsuit-dismissed/#more-4922

So what happens with Glover now? Can he still play Div 1 or does he got to go D2? whats the rule? Maybe he ends up at a Mid Major here in NY?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »
Wow things have really fallen apart at SHU.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »

I'd be suprised if Gonzo makes it thru this year. The NCAA and the Seton Hall administration are making it hard on him. Guess he shouldnt have burned those bridges

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:50:33 PM »
Feel bad fo Baby Glove.
Keep yo head up bre!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »
Nobody actually thought their waivers would go through.  Seton Hall is in much better shape than STJ.   When Pope and Keon are cleared Seton Hall will be a tournament team and that my friends is a guarantee.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
Already talk 'bout Pope headin to Europe.

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »
after what we have been through with basically everything since 2003, i hate to see a program suffer like that...now i dont like gonzo, but i feel bad for the fans and alumni, who have to deal with this kinda stuff, and then, obviously, the players

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »

I'd be suprised if Gonzo makes it thru this year. The NCAA and the Seton Hall administration are making it hard on him. Guess he shouldnt have burned those bridges

Please enlighten all of us to those "bridges" you claim Bobby G has burned..?

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »
The Hall deserve better.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »

You love sticking up for these guys. Anyways, Manhattan College wasnt exactly upset when he left to take the job at SH. This guys is out for himself and proves it time and time again

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »

You love sticking up for these guys. Anyways, Manhattan College wasnt exactly upset when he left to take the job at SH. This guys is out for himself and proves it time and time again

Sticking up..?   I didn't defend him. .   but you claimed he burned bridges..  I just want to hear what bridges you think he burned...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:04:19 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »

Sticking up..?   I didn't defend him. .   but you claimed he burned bridges..  I just want to hear what bridges you think he burned....

He left Manhatan in shambles. 2 of his top recruits(CJ Anderson,Dubois) fail off the team all of a sudden when Gonzo leaves? Did they get stupid all of a sudden? I dont know, Somethings not right with that. The NCAA and his own school President have a bullseye on his back because of his actions on and off the court. Im sure the Seton Hall fans arent happy with the situation he has the team in. I for one am glad SJU didnt hire this jerkoff

sjd8886

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »

Sticking up..?   I didn't defend him. .   but you claimed he burned bridges..  I just want to hear what bridges you think he burned...

well acting like a douche to everyone kinda is burning bridges

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »
Gonzalez and Seton Hall are in trouble. DOminic Cheek says Seton Hall is out because of its "situation".

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/10/30/cheek-may-take-official-to-rutgers/#more-5987

“He’s no longer interested in Indiana and he’s no longer interested in Seton Hall,” Gamble said Thursday afternoon by phone. “He just wasn’t comfortable with those situations.”

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »
Things are so bad, I'm starting to envy the tranquility you folks are enjoying over at St. John's. Wanna trade coaches?

kjd01067

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:18 PM »
Things are so bad, I'm starting to envy the tranquility you folks are enjoying over at St. John's. Wanna trade coaches?

When Norm was hired I really wanted Bobby G but now I don't know if he would have been any better for us.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »
I had taught Bobby G. was a good recruiter, what happen??? ??? ???

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 08:39:24 PM »
Bobby G's Pirates looking pretty good to me.