Omar Cook vs Erick Barkley

• 31 replies
Omar Cook vs Erick Barkley
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »
Who was the better college player? Its unfortunate that both did not stay longer, both would have been great at the college level. Barkley was on the better team but I think Cook could have excelled with that team as well. That being said, I take Barkley

Re: Omar Cook vs Erick Barkley
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »
Talk about a gimme.  I know you just post to keep busy but this question is more ridiculous than some of your jokingly inflammatory stuff.  Barkley by the largest of margins. 

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
Talk about a gimme.  I know you just post to keep busy but this question is more ridiculous than some of your jokingly inflammatory stuff.  Barkley by the largest of margins. 

HAHA, was Barkley that much better?

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »
if cook stayed for another yr it would be him. 

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »
Gotta go with EB.  Cook was a better a passer but thats about it.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »
Who was the better college player? Its unfortunate that both did not stay longer, both would have been great at the college level. Barkley was on the better team but I think Cook could have excelled with that team as well. That being said, I take Barkley

Barkley was. Cook had some incredible moments, but Barkley did it all.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
Who were the starting 5 for Cooks year?

mkras99

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:03:37 PM »
Barkley - not even close.  Marco, how long have you been a St. John's fan?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »
Funny, I was working on a post (on the blog) that's a bit about this.  But the upshot is - Barkley had a better assist to turnover ratio, he was a proficient steals man, he drew fouls (even if he wasn't the best FT shooter).  And Barkley turned the ball over a pretty low amount for a point guard/ lead ball handler.  The Elite 8 year, his numbers were straight sick.

Meanwhile, Cook's love of the outside shot (and jacking up shots in general) really shot the team out of some games.  And the squad went 14-15 in his year.  And he acted like an a-hole.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »

80's. I dont think Barkley was that much better, he was surrounded by much better players. Cook could have been just as good, that s all Im saying

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Cook was flashier.  That's the only area he's ahead.  It also led to a poorer A/TO as he tried to do too much, whether it was because of inferior teammates or simply careless play on Omar's part it's on him to make whatever teammates he has better.  That's what a PG does.  Never felt like Omar was in control of a game or system like Erick.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

80's. I dont think Barkley was that much better, he was surrounded by much better players. Cook could have been just as good, that s all Im saying
AHHHH, man.  Cook's teammates were worse:

Abe Keita
Alpha Bangura
Anthony Glover
Christian Diaz
Curtis Johnson
Donald Emanuel
Jack Wolfinger
John Parker
Jon Scheiman
Kyle Cuffe
Mohammed Diakite
Omar Cook
Reggie Jessie
Sharif Fordham
Willie Shaw

(from Statsheet)

with Glover and Shaw starting 28 games; Diakate, Cuffe, Emanuel, Reggie Jessie, Alpha Bangura started in the other slots.  (And Jack Wolfinger.  That guy was supposed to be something but he couldn't even stay on the team.  Abe Keita was on that team as well.)

That was Willie Shaw's best year in terms of points per game; the team didn't rebound particularly well.  But man, Omar might have thought his teammates inferior, but he wasn't helping by trying to be a one-man show as a 6-footer with a shaky erratic jumper.  Barkley could control himself; Cook was everyone's worst nightmare as a one-year player, a chemistry killing egomaniac.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »
No contest here man.  Barkley was an AWESOME college player.  Who knows about Cook.  He only played a year.  If they each played three years, maybe it would a comparison.  Barkley just made everybody around him better.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
Cook was flashier.  That's the only area he's ahead.  It also led to a poorer A/TO as he tried to do too much, whether it was because of inferior teammates or simply careless play on Omar's part it's on him to make whatever teammates he has better.  That's what a PG does.  Never felt like Omar was in control of a game or system like Erick.

Another mention of alumni of mine from both college and high school (CTK).

As mentioned, Cook was definitely flashier. Had better highlight passes... and probably a streakier shooter/scorer. But I would take Barkley hands down to run my team. Made better decisions and was more consistent overall.

But to fair... we should ask Willie Shaw what he thinks!  ;)

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »
Remember y'all, O had to carry a young team hisself.

They was three frosh startin (O, Willie and Kyle) plus a senior who wudn't playin like it (Reggie J).

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »

They was three frosh startin (O, Willie and Kyle) plus a senior who wudn't playin like it (Reggie J).

Exactly Choz, Barkley got to pass the ball to Artest,Ty Grant,Bootsy and Lavor Postell. Cook got to play with Shaw,Shariff Fordham,Diakite,Glover and Cuffe. Not exactly an offensive force

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 02:55:22 PM »
Exactly Choz, Barkley got to pass the ball to Artest,Ty Grant,Bootsy and Lavor Postell.

It makes me think... what were all of these guys rated before the signed up? I am sure Artest and Barkley was a 4 star or better. But I don't think Postell and Grant were even 3 stars.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »
Lavor wuz top 50 outta Georgia.
Dont know if any other BE school went after Ty when he was doin his thing at Grady.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »

I hear you...but who would you pick to run your team?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

I hear you...but who would you pick to run your team?

Erick... no doubt.