Omar Cook vs Erick Barkley

• 31 replies
Re: Omar Cook vs Erick Barkley
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:41 PM »
the bottom line is cook's teams always seemed to lose..even in the ndbl where he put up some gaudy stats.  he's a stat sheet stuffer.

barkley led us to one bump ...a grant injury...and ohio state using paid players away from a final four.

you have to go with the results.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 07:50:39 PM »
the bottom line is cook's teams always seemed to lose..even in the ndbl where he put up some gaudy stats.  he's a stat sheet stuffer.

barkley led us to one bump ...a grant injury...and ohio state using paid players away from a final four.

to play devils advocate, Barkley had a team of pros to play with in college, and Cook had a bunch of guys who couldnt catch the ball.  barkley was out of the pros in 2 years.  cook, if he had stayed two years may have really benefitted from that.  they played in the same systems from 1st grade at St. Anne's in Brooklyn, through Christ the King and then St John's.  Cook was always considered the better player, and if Barkley didnt go to prep school he woulda never even been a McDonaldsAA.  Plus the fact that Cook was an 18 yr old frosh and EB was 21.  Barkley always had better players around him, but Cook put up better #'s.  Maybe if Cook was on the 99 team we make the Final 4.  this is something thats debatable forever.  At least O is making good money in Russia now.  Cant say the same for EB.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
Is the pay scale so drastically different in Poland?  I guess so given the number of big names willing to go back to play in Russia..

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
Is the pay scale so drastically different in Poland?  I guess so given the number of big names willing to go back to play in Russia..

all $$$ overseas is tax free.  i think EB is out of the game.  at least Omar is over there making a good salary as well as a great career. 

Pay scale in Europe is high, if you go to Asia and the Mid East it gets lower.  Turkey is on the Euro level.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »
EB is playing in Poland.  Only getting 14 mins/game in first 5 games of season.

To track ex-SJU players in Europe suggest this link:

http://www.usbasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=USA&Team=510&option=St.John's%20University%20%20(USA-%20NCAA%20I)&logo=stjohns.gif

Some info I got from there on guys who appear to be on rosters this season:

Alpha and Chud are playing in Lebanon this year.
Kyle in Venezuela
Glover in Argentina (19.5 pts/game).
Lamont in Spain (Tenerife, nice spot)
Z in Russia (strangely they don't show Omar on a roster for 08/09)
ManHatten in Italy (league 2, 21 pts/game)
Geno in Slovakia (18 assists, 15 to's in 3 games so far this season)
Lavor in Czech Republic
Bootsy in Turkey

or ask Gonzalo.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:02:54 PM by yankcranker »

gonzalo

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »
EB is playing in Poland.  Only getting 14 mins/game in first 5 games of season.

To track ex-SJU players in Europe suggest this link:

http://www.usbasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=USA&Team=510&option=St.John's%20University%20%20(USA-%20NCAA%20I)&logo=stjohns.gif

Some info I got from there on guys who appear to be on rosters this season:

Alpha and Chud are playing in Lebanon this year.
Kyle in Venezuela
Glover in Argentina (19.5 pts/game).
Lamont in Spain (Tenerife, nice spot)
Z in Russia (strangely they don't show Omar on a roster for 08/09)
ManHatten in Italy (league 2, 21 pts/game)
Geno in Slovakia (18 assists, 15 to's in 3 games so far this season)
Lavor in Czech Republic
Bootsy in Turkey

or ask Gonzalo.

Omar is playing in Spain.

http://www.acb.com/jugador.php?id=BFP

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »

to play devils advocate, Barkley had a team of pros to play with in college, and Cook had a bunch of guys who couldnt catch the ball.  barkley was out of the pros in 2 years.  cook, if he had stayed two years may have really benefitted from that.  they played in the same systems from 1st grade at St. Anne's in Brooklyn, through Christ the King and then St John's.  Cook was always considered the better player, and if Barkley didnt go to prep school he woulda never even been a McDonaldsAA.  Plus the fact that Cook was an 18 yr old frosh and EB was 21.  Barkley always had better players around him, but Cook put up better #'s.  Maybe if Cook was on the 99 team we make the Final 4.  this is something thats debatable forever.  At least O is making good money in Russia now.  Cant say the same for EB.

if barkley hadn't left early, we would have compared him favorably with mark jackson.  EB is the only st john's player to my knowledge to score 500 points in his freshman year.  he was an outstanding quarterback.  we won with him.  what other criteria is there?  walter berry won a wooden award, but wasn't an impact nba player.

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 07:56:51 AM »

if barkley hadn't left early, we would have compared him favorably with mark jackson.  EB is the only st john's player to my knowledge to score 500 points in his freshman year.  he was an outstanding quarterback.  we won with him.  what other criteria is there?  walter berry won a wooden award, but wasn't an impact nba player.

Walter never desired to be an NBA impact player, strange as that may seem.
Told me early on how he was envious of Antoine Carr who was playing in Europe at the time , living a great life and owning 2 Mercedes Benz automobiles.
He lived his dream, had a great career in Europe, made a fortune.

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 12:03:09 PM »
walter absolutely hated to practice...

that's what killed his nba career.  he had the skills, that's for sure.

i read somewhere he made more than 30 million dollars in europe following a long career there...so your last sentence is totally on the money.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »

i read somewhere he made more than 30 million dollars in europe following a long career there...so your last sentence is totally on the money.

How much did Walter make at $t Johns? :)

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »

So were my earlier remarks.
I was shocked when I heard him say it but what I wrote is straight from his mouth.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »
if you say he said it, i'm sure he said it. 
i'm not sure he really meant it.