BLUE RIBBON

• 35 replies
Re: BLUE RIBBON
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 03:24:09 AM »
norm has shown he has nine lives.  there isn't another college in america that would have retained him after last season and yet another big transfer.

ninth place is pretty poor for a fifth season...and we're only dreaming about reaching that "height".

20 wins and i sign him for one more year.  20 wins and monasch gives him a lifetime contract.

Nova was 8th place last year and a sweet 16 team. The difference between us and Nova was 2 games in the Big East last season. My point being is there is the gap isn't far for any team and a bad season, a good season, and a great season can be the difference of a few games.

A few games last year we could have come out on top but we didn't and there were games we simply were never in. Can we improve upon that this year? If we do we're in the thick of things but if not we're stuck not closing the gap again. I think we have the potential to win some games whether we reach that potential is the question that remains.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 05:07:39 AM »
there was a world of difference between us and nova.

we won eleven games out of 30 last year.  that's pretty poor by any standard.  don't forget some of the embarassing blowouts.  we were lucky to score 50 points half the time.

at some point, we have to raise our expectations.  we're in the big east...not the maac.  if norm had been fired...there isn't a team in the maac that would have hired him. 

kob24

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 08:05:12 AM »
so if he makes the NCAA he needs to be fired?

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »

KOB. . if Norm makes the NCAA Tourney this year..     I will take you to dinner at any restaurant in the city you like...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »

KOB. . if Norm makes the NCAA Tourney this year..     I will take you to dinner at any restaurant in the city you like...

Oh, no, is this turning into a betting site now?  What do I get if Norm makes the NIT?

kob24

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
nah I'm not saying he will or won't. I'm not a betting man unless I myself have something to do with it but I'm saying if he does make it I don't think he should be fired or given a multi million dollar contract. It should be a one year at a time thing

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
then we're on the same page.  it's not realistic to say norm is going to be fired if he makes the ncaa's and he has a couple of studs coming in.  going to be...and should be are two different things.  we'll probably play something like 32 games...including the usual assortment of cream puffs that are toss ups for us.  20 wins won't get us in the ncaa's.  if he gets "only" 20 wins in year five, i'd ask him to approach bill self and ask if there are any openings.

his contract should be year to year.  this lifetime deal thing is crap to me. 

monasch has done an outstanding job with the program...with the exception of retaining norm.  unfortunately, that's like saying the play at the ford theater was great...too bad lincoln got shot before it ended.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »

we won eleven games out of 30 last year.  that's pretty poor by any standard.  don't forget some of the embarassing blowouts.  we were lucky to score 50 points half the time.

at some point, we have to raise our expectations.  we're in the big east...not the maac.  if norm had been fired...there isn't a team in the maac that would have hired him. 

I was never a fan of Nova last year and I do think we could have beaten them at the garden last year. To me that was a winnable game but we didn't even show up to play. I also said the difference between us was 2 games in the big east and there was a time we could have been ahead of them in the standings. My point was Nova was borderline making the Big East Tourney and then they went on to make sweet 16. College basketball is crazy and if a team gets hot for a few games that can make or break a season.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »

I was never a fan of Nova last year and I do think we could have beaten them at the garden last year. To me that was a winnable game but we didn't even show up to play. I also said the difference between us was 2 games in the big east and there was a time we could have been ahead of them in the standings. My point was Nova was borderline making the Big East Tourney and then they went on to make sweet 16. College basketball is crazy and if a team gets hot for a few games that can make or break a season.

Who did Nova beat in the 1st round last year, I know they beat Siena to get to the Sweet 16

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Clemson

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »

i agree college basketball is crazy...especially with so many one and done players.  i just don't see the villanova comparison.  we haven't beaten them at all in the roberts error...so they look past us and come close to losing.  that doesn't put an eleven win team on a par with one that "lucked" into the sweet 16.  we're hardly ever that "lucky".

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »

i agree college basketball is crazy...especially with so many one and done players.  i just don't see the villanova comparison.  we haven't beaten them at all in the roberts error...so they look past us and come close to losing.  that doesn't put an eleven win team on a par with one that "lucked" into the sweet 16.  we're hardly ever that "lucky".

I'm not comparing us to villanova especially not over the past 5 years but last season I didn't think Nova was that good of a team. They didn't have great size or good shooting guards. They were quick and streaky. A team who I didn't think was that great all season long made it to the sweet 16 and they were 2 games better than us in conference play. The difference between bad and good isn't that great. We have to get over the hill though and thats something we've yet to do.

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
maybe...just maybe.

if wright coached us and roberts coached villanova...we would have made the sweet 16 and they would have won eleven games.

i never underestimate the impact of coaching.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »
maybe...just maybe.

if wright coached us and roberts coached villanova...we would have made the sweet 16 and they would have won eleven games.

i never underestimate the impact of coaching.

Ya that and if we had a PG

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »

Jay Wright always has Nova competing. I'm not sure if Roberts will ever beat him.

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »

Jay Wright always has Nova competing. I'm not sure if Roberts will ever beat him.

That is a pretty outlandish statement. Why should we bother to play the games?