Roberts Banking on Mason, Burrell (Goodman on Fox blog)

• 9 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Roberts Banking on Mason, Burrell (Goodman on Fox blog)
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:25 PM »
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/10/16/ROBERTS_BANKING_ON_MASON_BURRELL

So we can discuss the article and not pieces of it, here it go. 

St. John’s coach Norm Roberts lost the one guy last season he couldn’t afford to be without.

On a team loaded with newcomers, then-junior Anthony Mason missed eight games and wasn’t at 100 percent for many others as the Red Storm stumbled to an 11-win campaign.

However, Roberts is excited about the future in Queens.

He said in addition to staying healthy, the key is that Mason and sophomore big man Justin Burrell will have to produce each and every night.

``Our big-time players have to play big-time,” Roberts said. “They need to bring it every night. If not, we’re going to be up and down.”

Roberts said that the 6-foot-7 Mason, who averaged 14 points last season, will need to expand his offensive game and rely less on his jump shot.

``He’s got to get to the basket more,” Roberts said of Mason. “He’s got to play more aggressive and attacking and the way we’re going to play will help him.”

St. John’s returns three full-time starters – Mason, Burrell and wing D.J. Kennedy. Don’t be surprised if 6-foot-10 sophomore Dele Coker moves into the starting lineup. He’s lost about 25 pounds, is down to 262 and should impact the game – especially on the defensive end.

``I’ve had people come in and ask who the new kid is,” Roberts said. “He’s got bounce to him, he’s more aggressive offensively and he’s going to be able to help.”

The one major change is that sophomore Malik Boothe, who started six games a year ago behind departed point guard Eugene Lawrence, will run the team.

``We’re going to play different,” Roberts said. “Faster. We’re capable of doing it because of Malik and the fact that we have speed.”

Let’s face it. Last year it was an unenviable task for a group of young guys.

``You’ve got to go through the Big East to understand it,” Roberts said. “You can’t tell freshman what it’s going to be like. They have to go through it.”

In addition to a solid starting five and a frontline that could match up with just about anyone in the league, Roberts has some depth with the likes of Rob Thomas, Paris Horne and Sean Evans. Freshmen Quincy Roberts and TyShawn Edmondson will battle to back up Boothe.

``I think we’ve got as much talent as we’ve ever had since I’ve been here,” Roberts said.

sjd8886

Re: Roberts Banking on Mason, Burrell (Goodman on Fox blog)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
not only does it have to be good, but mason needs a year like hill had his sophmore year

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:09 PM »
Personally i liked everything Norm said in that article.  I think its true Mason and Burrell have to be on every game no more of the crap last year when one played awesome and the other was dead quiet.  These two guys have to be on and work together that is the only way we are winning games.  Also, I hope Norm is a man of his word and we see more running this year.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »
I mean gee whiz, I think we all know Mason is playing for a pro contract this year, so he should shoot 18-20 times a game. Burrell has a ton of potential, but he played out of positiion last year and it showed in a lot of the games.

Mason better stop being so one dimensional, develop a drive and a left hand...he certainly is athletic enough to play at a high level, he can not continue shooting jumpers though at the pace he is.

If I were his Pops I would be so disappointed in him for the showings he puts on in the same building he was part of some of the greatest moments.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:18:20 AM »
i wouldn't be disappointed.  jr is a decent player on a big east team.  the expectations were'nt that great coming in. not everyone can be a superstar.

sjd8886

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
i wouldn't be disappointed.  jr is a decent player on a big east team.  the expectations were'nt that great coming in. not everyone can be a superstar.

i would be disappointed only bc the potential is there for him to be a 2nd rounder this year...but if he has a good year and still misses it, then it wouldnt be too great a disappointment bc as you said, comming in he wasnt a superstar by any means, and you cant expect a kid to just blow up one year or another, its unfair expectations

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »
i never saw the second round potential.  there's way too much competition now.  he's going to make millions in europe.  how bad is that??

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »
i never saw the second round potential.  there's way too much competition now.  he's going to make millions in europe.  how bad is that??

I think youre right Newman, he'll have his degree and eat well in Italy.Put some meat on those bones

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
Helloooooooooooooooo, Newman.    >:(

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »
just another incarnation...or typo.