Lenn Robbins article on Carnesecca Arena Makeover

• 15 replies
Lenn Robbins article on Carnesecca Arena Makeover
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10172008/sports/moresports/extreme_makeover_for_norms_storm_134048.htm

EXTREME MAKEOVER FOR NORM'S STORM
Comments: 0 Read Comments Leave a Comment By LENN ROBBINS
Posted: 10:52 am
October 17, 2008

The next time a coach scoffs at having to play in Carnesecca Arena, he better take a look around what once was a rat trap on the corner of Union and Utopia Parkways.

The House That Louie Built is in the throes of being turned into a state of the art facility with an emphasis on creating an intimidating a home court advantage for the Red Storm.

The Post toured the arena yesterday and the changes are startling. The addition of new seating, many with chair backs, creates a bowl atmosphere that will make it tough on the Big East opponents - Seton Hall, Cincinnati and South Florida - and non-conference foes that play at Carnesecca this year.

After the 2008-09 season, the ceiling will be torn out and a new dome, complete with a video scoreboard will be installed. The main entrance boasts a Hall of Fame section and a new ticket lobby.

"One of the most important factors in college basketball is a homecourt advantage," said St. John's coach Norm Roberts. "You want to make it as tough as possible on your opponent and you want your fans to give you a boost."

Roberts said he believes the Red Storm is capable of posting a better than .500 record overall and a .500 record in league play this year. He has a nucleus of players led by Justin Burrell and Anthony Mason Jr.

Mason Jr., who was hampered by a severely sprained ankle injury last season, had surgery to clean out the joint. Roberts said this is the first offseason that his star swingman has been healthy and able to work out with his teammates.

St. John's, coming off an 11-19 season overall (5-13 in the Big East play), opens the season on Nov. 14 against LIU in Carnesecca.

Power forward Rob Thomas, who suffered a potential career-ending knee injury before undergoing reconstructive surgery, has lost weight and not suffered any complications during rehab.

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

Re: Lenn Robbins article on Carnesecca Arena Makeover
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
I wish they could do the ceiling before this season just because that would be awesome but I think it should be really nice when all said and done.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »
I still think they should have just knocked it down, and rebuilt

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »
i see norm, the hustler, has kept the bar low again in order to keep his job.

you have to give him credit....

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10172008/sports/moresports/extreme_makeover_for_norms_storm_134048.htm

"One of the most important factors in college basketball is a homecourt advantage," said St. John's coach Norm Roberts. "You want to make it as tough as possible on your opponent and you want your fans to give you a boost."

another classic quote

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
i see norm, the hustler, has kept the bar low again in order to keep his job.

you have to give him credit....
In my opinion he drew his line in the sand.  If he doesn't achieve those goals he shouldn't even bother showing up the day after the season ends.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
if he gets to 9-9 in the Big East... that's not a low bar at all!  That's NIT caliber, there.  Actually, I think there are going to be a lot of teams bunched around .500 - the bottom feeders are mostly improved.  Though I can see a dropoff from Cincy, DePaul, South Florida, and maybe even Seton Hall.  Can't see St. John's getting worse.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
if he gets to 9-9 in the Big East... that's not a low bar at all!  That's NIT caliber, there.  Actually, I think there are going to be a lot of teams bunched around .500 - the bottom feeders are mostly improved.  Though I can see a dropoff from Cincy, DePaul, South Florida, and maybe even Seton Hall.  Can't see St. John's getting worse.

norm was referring to the overall record

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »

I agree with you. I think the top 8 teams are pretty set in the Big East from 9-16 its pretty wide open.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »

norm was referring to the overall record

He said better than .500 overall and .500 in league play which is what Peter referred to with his 9-9
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:50:44 PM by JJ »

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »

I agree with you. I think the top 8 teams are pretty set in the Big East from 9-16 its pretty wide open.

West Virginia has been picked 9th in the Big East, I actually can see them being near the top and maybe winning the BE tourny

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
i have much respect for you, peter...but the nit in year five of a coach's deal is low bar.  i know it's a realistic goal coming off an eleven win season...but, geez... he's pointing towards .500?  he eked out .500 two years ago by playing the sisters of the poor.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »
i have much respect for you, peter...but the nit in year five of a coach's deal is low bar.  i know it's a realistic goal coming off an eleven win season...but, geez... he's pointing towards .500?  he eked out .500 two years ago by playing the sisters of the poor.
well, two things - one i'm saying it's not a low bar compared to where this team has been.  and while i'd like to say every team's goal is to win the Big East outright... St. John's hasn't constantly had that top-of-league kind of team.  and the administration seems to accept the last few years of, ah, "lumps," and the idea of an extremely slow restoration of the program... if that's their goal.

it'd be ridiculous for him to say he wants a 20-win season, and it's unrealistic for fans of the team to expect that.  is this a poor job 5 years in?  no question, this is not what was expected.  other coaches who have had ebbs and flows to their record (gottfried at alabama, tim welsh when he was at prov) had higher highs. 

i could go on and on about the state of the program and what's already happened... but it's already gone, and as long as St. John's employs this coaching staff, we have to take the improvements year by year and for what they are - slow, uncertain steps to what we all hope is a level of national competitiveness.

kob24

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 05:50:04 PM »
Seriously jj I would love to hear old red thoughts on this can u make it possible that he can't pm no one and only post on this topic?

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
Seriously jj I would love to hear old red thoughts on this can u make it possible that he can't pm no one and only post on this topic?

I'm pretty sure we can all use our imagination on what he'd say.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 05:58:08 PM »
Giant videos screen would be pretty fly yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.