Zags on Big East

• 63 replies

Marillac

Re: Zags on Big East
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
I'm not knocking stick think he had a great high school career and had a good coach and family who had put him in  a good level. He isn't the answer to brian Lang and I wouldn't take him over Paris there is a reason why his nickname is stixs. Now he can score no doubt bout that and as far as I know he has good character but to say he will start for us I just can't see. If stix was a redman y'all would be roasting norm. The only guys I would take from the hall is nunu cab driver and guase that's it

He's not going to be Laing.  They are very different players.  Paris would never be able to put up almost 17 a game against some really good A-10 teams--especially not as a freshman.  I think he'll have a big impact on SH.  I hope he has put on some weight, though, because he looked like Skeletor the last time I saw him.

kob24

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
KOB. . curious to hear an honest answer...        do you think Justin Burrell will be an NBA player..?

How could he say no, PMG?  Justin is good and can be a lot better, but there are just not a lot of 6'8 pure PF's in the league anymore. 

14 Teams in the NBA have starting PF 6-9 & under , the NBA is getting shorter not taller the 1990's are when the Giraffes played

Knicks , Hawks , Pistons , Cavs, Heat , Wiz, Rockets , Grizz , Hornets , Nuggets , T-Wolves , Thunder, Jazz & Warriors

Yes, but 6'9 is a world away from 6'8.  Every inch in the NBA means a lot.  A 6'4 2G is considered undersized, but 6'5 is okay.  That list you put wouid almost disapperar for guys 6'8 and under.  Also, I did say true PF and the Hawks, for example, don't have one.  I can't imagine Justin being a combo forward at the next level.  I just don't think he'll be an NBA player, but there is still time and he just might be the rare freak that is athletic enough to make 6'8 work.
thadeus young, leon powe, jarvis hayes eduardo najera, wilson chandler, ewing jr, malik rose(6'7), reggie evans,ben wallace, big baby, jason maxiell(6'7),joe alexander, luc mbah a moute,othello hunter, josh smith, marvin williams, sean may, udonis haslem, kenny thomas, boris diaw,al thorton, paul millsap, ryan gomes, renaldo balkman, linas kleiza, james mays, anthony tolliver,julian wright,joey dorsey, brandon bass, charles rhodes. just a list of players 6'8 playing the power foward and in some cases a combo foward in the league. now we are asking if burrell can make the league after just 1!!!! year of college ball. 1 year of starting with and playing with a bunch of freshmen in the best league in college ball. making the rookie team of this league at a school who is struggling and doing this with a point guard who in all due respect didnt use his ability at all. at this point and time he is a pf and he is gonna be that this year again. that doesnt mean he isnt working on tools to expand his game and become a combo foward like some of the guys i named. but once again he has three years to do this if thats what it takes. but hey if you think he wont be a nba player after seeing him for just one season than thats what u feel. i think he is gonna end up a nba player. he is doing the right things he just have to perform well on the court which i know he will.

Randomhero423

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:24 PM »
thad young, ewing jr, mbah a moute, smith, thornton, balkman, wright are all SF's.

and most of the other guys you named are great great great athletes.  i do think Burrell is a future PF in the league.  It's too early to say right now though. 

kob24

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »
played pf one point in time in college except for smith and they all still play the four in the league at times that's why i called them combos

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »
KOB. . curious to hear an honest answer...        do you think Justin Burrell will be an NBA player..?

How could he say no, PMG?  Justin is good and can be a lot better, but there are just not a lot of 6'8 pure PF's in the league anymore. 

14 Teams in the NBA have starting PF 6-9 & under , the NBA is getting shorter not taller the 1990's are when the Giraffes played

Knicks , Hawks , Pistons , Cavs, Heat , Wiz, Rockets , Grizz , Hornets , Nuggets , T-Wolves , Thunder, Jazz & Warriors

Yes, but 6'9 is a world away from 6'8.  Every inch in the NBA means a lot.  A 6'4 2G is considered undersized, but 6'5 is okay.  That list you put wouid almost disapperar for guys 6'8 and under.  Also, I did say true PF and the Hawks, for example, don't have one.  I can't imagine Justin being a combo forward at the next level.  I just don't think he'll be an NBA player, but there is still time and he just might be the rare freak that is athletic enough to make 6'8 work.
thadeus young, leon powe, jarvis hayes eduardo najera, wilson chandler, ewing jr, malik rose(6'7), reggie evans,ben wallace, big baby, jason maxiell(6'7),joe alexander, luc mbah a moute,othello hunter, josh smith, marvin williams, sean may, udonis haslem, kenny thomas, boris diaw,al thorton, paul millsap, ryan gomes, renaldo balkman, linas kleiza, james mays, anthony tolliver,julian wright,joey dorsey, brandon bass, charles rhodes. just a list of players 6'8 playing the power foward and in some cases a combo foward in the league. now we are asking if burrell can make the league after just 1!!!! year of college ball. 1 year of starting with and playing with a bunch of freshmen in the best league in college ball. making the rookie team of this league at a school who is struggling and doing this with a point guard who in all due respect didnt use his ability at all. at this point and time he is a pf and he is gonna be that this year again. that doesnt mean he isnt working on tools to expand his game and become a combo foward like some of the guys i named. but once again he has three years to do this if thats what it takes. but hey if you think he wont be a nba player after seeing him for just one season than thats what u feel. i think he is gonna end up a nba player. he is doing the right things he just have to perform well on the court which i know he will.

Most of those guys you named are either SF's or combo forwards.  Only a few of them like Haslem and May are true PF's.  It's clearly not impossible, I mean Charles Barkley was 6'5, but I just can't see Burrell in the NBA.  I hope I am wrong and there is certainly a lot of time for him to get better. 

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »
even if burrell doesn't make the nba...he'll make a whole lot of money overseas.

real money.

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
I think KOB's point is there are more 6'8 guys than people think or at least are making out to be in this thread. A lot of people get caught up on height. Remember our debate about who could play C in the Big East? To me 2 inches isn't a great deal especially when a guy has superior athleticism to play above his height, like Burrell.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 04:09:02 AM »
I think KOB's point is there are more 6'8 guys than people think or at least are making out to be in this thread. A lot of people get caught up on height. Remember our debate about who could play C in the Big East? To me 2 inches isn't a great deal especially when a guy has superior athleticism to play above his height, like Burrell.

Yes, but he went on to name a ton of guys that are pure SF's and a bunch that are combo forwards.  Only a few were legit PF's and I just don't see Burrell, at this point in his career, being someone that is good enough to overcome the height issue.  The good news is he still has time and he is quite an athlete.  Length is also very important, as a guy like Diaw can overcome his height with a very large wingspan. 

If somebody feels so strongly that he will, then I would love to make a wager.  It seems pretty clear cut to me right now.  Any takers?

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »
whats the bet?

kob24

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 06:48:37 AM »
who are the pure small fowards that I named

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
whats the bet?

$100 (or more) that Burrell is not drafted in the first round of the NBA draft. 

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »
whats the bet?

With all the foreigners in the draft now 1st round can be tough.

I'll bet you $100 that at the very least he'd be drafted no later than the top half of the 2nd round

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
whats the bet?

I'll bet you $100 that at the very least he'd be drafted no later than the top half of the 2nd round

So he won't be a top 45 pick?  I'll take that bet. 

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »
whats the bet?

Cool. Bet is on.

Now I just jope he stays 3 more years :)

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 08:16:04 PM »
whats the bet?

Cool. Bet is on.

Now I just jope he stays 3 more years :)

For the sake of my bet I hope he and Norm stay three more years :)  If he transfers out to a better coach or we bring one in, I could be in trouble.   I feel really good about this bet though.

kob24

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »
so u are basing this on norm?!

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2008, 09:54:48 PM »
so u are basing this on norm?!

Not entirely.  There are just so many talented young big men and when you drop down a few inches the pool of talented big men grows exponentially.  Unfortunately, JB won't be considered a winner by the time he leaves here, he will have a minimum of two years under a terrible coach, he is not a terribly lengthy player, he is only 6'8, betting against St. John's lately is always a good bet, and he will have very high TO #'s for the simple fact that the poor kid is going to have 3-4 sets of hands picking at the ball everytime he touches it--courtesy of our terrible team shooting. 

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »
I'm going to create a contract thread for this bet and sticky it.

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 01:35:32 AM »

Sounds good. I feel much better about MJ paying up then I did for Scotch/Old Red.  Pay me my $500 Scotch!!!  I am EXTREMELY confident in my wager once again.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 01:39:26 AM »

Sounds good. I feel much better about MJ paying up then I did for Scotch/Old Red.  Pay me my $500 Scotch!!!  I am EXTREMELY confident in my wager once again.
There should be a betting section of this site... We'll take odds on all sorts of numbers.  It'll be like Vegas but without the showgirls and the booze.

JJ, can you get some showgirls on this thread?  [Kidding]