Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)

• 60 replies
Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »
Bitting off the best shooters thread.... I think the best one man show was Hatten hands down!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:19:22 PM by Johnny4Life »

Re: Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
This is a pretty interesting question. I'm looking forward to eveyone's thoughts
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
Pistol Pete Maravich.  End of Story.  Next question?

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
Larry Bird.

Bird led his team to an undefeated regular season and the national championship game. His only real offensive help came from Carl Nicks, who did nothing at the next level. Bird made Nicks, and everyone else on the team, better.

In comparison, Maravich:
Pete never took his team further than the NIT (as a senior). His main help came from three players who went onto brief careers in the ABA (Danny Hester, Bill Newton, Al Saunders). For the most part, the other players weren't incorporated into the offense (except in the NIT, when Pete fizzled and Hester was the team's tourney scoring leader). Pistol had free reign to do everything himself.

Both were entertaining but I'll take Bird. He not only put up numbers but led his school to its only national success.
Maravich was entertaining but didn't win much. He shot the ball more than 40 times a game because his dad was the coach.

Other contenders: Bob Lanier at St. Bonaventure. Had he not gotten hurt in the semifinal, the Bonnies might have won it all.

Bill Bradley at Princeton. He was entirely the reason the team went to the Final Four.

mkras99

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
Agree that it's probably Maravich or Bird, but would put David Robinson up there as well.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:52:54 PM »
Larry Bird.

Bird led his team to an undefeated regular season and the national championship game. His only real offensive help came from Carl Nicks, who did nothing at the next level. Bird made Nicks, and everyone else on the team, better.

In comparison, Maravich:
Pete never took his team further than the NIT (as a senior). His main help came from three players who went onto brief careers in the ABA (Danny Hester, Bill Newton, Al Saunders). For the most part, the other players weren't incorporated into the offense (except in the NIT, when Pete fizzled and Hester was the team's tourney scoring leader). Pistol had free reign to do everything himself.

Both were entertaining but I'll take Bird. He not only put up numbers but led his school to its only national success.
Maravich was entertaining but didn't win much. He shot the ball more than 40 times a game because his dad was the coach.

Other contenders: Bob Lanier at St. Bonaventure. Had he not gotten hurt in the semifinal, the Bonnies might have won it all.

Bill Bradley at Princeton. He was entirely the reason the team went to the Final Four.

All valid points.  I did take the term "show" into greater account than you. 

Also during Maravich's college years the NCAA field was significantly smaller than during Bird's years but they would have been a fringe participant even with larger fields.  There were 3-20 the year before Maravich started playing and played in a far more competitive conference.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »
Larry Bird.

In comparison, Maravich:

All valid points.  I did take the term "show" into greater account than you. 

Also during Maravich's college years the NCAA field was significantly smaller than during Bird's years but they would have been a fringe participant even with larger fields.  There were 3-20 the year before Maravich started playing and played in a far more competitive conference.

I meant the term "show" as in what a player accomplished essentially by himself with no supporting cast around him. In reference to Maravich and Bird... Maravich played before I was born and Bird played in college while I was an infant. Therefore, I couldn't even argue or agree with your statements.

But definitely over the last decade... Hatten had to be up there.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:42:38 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
yankcranker, absolutely right on the field. I believe it was 25 teams when Maravich was a senior. He was surely a show. Bird could put one on, too.

David Robinson is another valid suggestion. How about Calvin Murphy? He'd score a ton of points and  would even twirl the baton at halftime.

Not Division One, but Earl Monroe must have been something to see at Winston-Salem State.

Two great NBA shows I wish I'd seen: the time Earl Monroe scored 56 for the Bullets, and the time Maravich torched the great Clyde Frazier for 67.

Another great show in college was David Thompson. Not exactly a one-man team, but something to see. I think a lot of people became interested in college basketball because of him.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
Besides Hatten in the last decade, you've got Quincy Douby and Stephon Curry. Another local player would be Keydren Clark at St. Peter's. He really had no help. Of course the team didn't win a whole lot.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:55:24 PM »
this is a great read...i would have opted for bird right off the bat.

magic johnson also comes to mind.  his team wins a national championship...he leaves...and michigan state loses to us in the lapchick tournament the next season.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
 ;D ;D I'll second Pistol Pete. Remember what he did to us & we had 2 good big guards. Johnny Warren & can't remember other one. Pete went for over 50.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
;D ;D I'll second Pistol Pete. Remember what he did to us & we had 2 good big guards. Johnny Warren & can't remember other one. Pete went for over 50.
maravich lit us up for 53 in the 1969 rainbow classic.  johnny warren was on the knicks that year.  joe depre and billy paultz were our star players in hawaii.

sjd8886

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 05:51:30 PM »
i already mentioned my view on the best all around college player on the best shooter thread...he applies just as much for this topic...pistol pete

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »
this is a great read...i would have opted for bird right off the bat.

magic johnson also comes to mind.  his team wins a national championship...he leaves...and michigan state loses to us in the lapchick tournament the next season.

Greg Kelser (Special K) was also on that team.  He graduated and was the 4th pick in the draft that year so they weren't devoid of talent in Magic's last year but of course Magic was an all time great.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
SJD, how could Pete be best "all-around?" He did one thing and that was score. And the reason he did that was because he took a TON of shots.
You would see headlines like "Maravich Scores 50." But he took 52 shots - plus free throws. Plus he never played defense in his life.
Plus, when he got out of college he ruined an excellent Hawks. Entertaining, yes. Great player, no.

Players like Oscar Robertson, Lew Alcindor, Bird, Russell, Walton, and many more were better all-around players.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:37:45 PM by jimsouls »

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 06:47:20 PM »
How about Wally Szczerbiak

Randomhero423

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
although not the best of all time or anything.  michael beasley was great last year.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Danny Manning

kob24

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
that I saw..... Jameer nelson and danny manning

Randomhero423

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »
nelson had delonte west