Big East preview: Bet you've never seen the league this tough

• 14 replies
Big East preview: Bet you've never seen the league this tough
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11090242

Ranked last!!!!!!! I wish someone at the school shows this to the guys to light a fire under their @ss.

Randomhero423

Re: Big East preview: Bet you've never seen the league this tough
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »
the guys will know this... it's cbs

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
Parrish has lost respect of mine with a couple of his articles lately. To me anyone who doesn't pick USF last in this conference is nuts. This is not say that USF will be last but on paper they are dead last. They did nothing last season to deserve any better. I find that Parrish contradicts himself a lot but he does write on good topics.

14. Depaul

The good: Few outside the Big East are familiar with Dar Tucker, who posted fine freshman numbers in the Year of the Freshmen. The 6-4 wing averaged 13.6 points and 4.8 rebounds, and if he could focus a little more on defense and make a couple of more shots (Tucker shot 32.1 percent from 3-point range last season) he could develop into the go-to-guy Jerry Wainwright needs.

So we're praising Depaul for a guy who didn't have as good of a freshman year as Justin Burrell or DJ Kennedy? They also lost the only thing on their team that got them 6 conference wins in Draelon Burns. No one can score the ball for Depaul all their guys are raw hustle guys. So I don't see how this warrants them being ranked ahead.

We all know Seton Halls situation and lack of depth is a major major cause of concern and even though I don't agree with it but you could at least muster up a case for them to be ranked ahead of us.

Then Rutgers who hasn't done a thing either gets a lot of praise for Mike Rosario but no mention of Greg Echenique who might be the bigger impact player for the team.

Finally where I feel Parrish often contradicts himself

For Cincy...

The bottom line: Mick Cronin is quietly compiling the type of talent to compete in this league even if he still might be a year away from earning an NCAA tournament bid. But a 2009-10 roster featuring Vaughn, Williams, Wright, Yancy Gates and a healthy John Riek should be ready to make a push.

For St. John's....

The bottom line: St. John's was once a basketball power, but things have slipped drastically. Assuming the Red Storm finish down here, it's doubtful Roberts can hang on for another year even if he secures a commitment from New York phenom Lance Stephenson, which is too bad, yet the nature of the business.

Now if you are going to praise Mick Cronin for acquiring "Vaughn, Williams, Wright, Yancy Gates and a healthy John Riek" How do you bash Norm even if he gets Stephenson which would be in addition to our current roster plus Stith and Lawrence. I'm not saying either deserves praise but be consistent. I don't think Cronin's roster deserves praise. I really like Cronin as a coach but to say Cronin is compiling a roster a year or two away from NCAA bid and St. John's is the worst team in the Big East. Come on. Then again Parrish would pick Jeff Adrien over Dejuan Blair.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11058854

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »
i saw this article yesterday...i would be pissed if it wasnt written by that douchebag, Parrish...screw him, he writes mostly garbage, and this stuff doesnt affect our season one bit...and its an opportunity to make him and every other writer ranking st johns in the cellar look bad at their job at the end of the season

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:50:29 PM »
that's right...let's kill the messenger.  i haven't seen anyone put us above 14th in this league...and this is norm's fifth year.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Think y'all is missin the bigger picture.
We debatin if we the worse team or second worse or third worse or fourth worse.
Am I the only brother who find that troublin in year 5?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
that is very troubling and shows why norm should be on his way out.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »

ANd replace him with who? please be realistic

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

I think we could finish in top 10 and that is a large difference from dead last however I'm debating the logic behind the rankings. I don't think Parrish knows too much about basketball. Also why do people get hung up on this year 5 business? If we all had a crystal ball and said if he could be somewhere in 4 years it wouldn't be where we are but the fact is we are and I like this current team and like the current direction. Lets focus on this year not the past 4 years.

What is troubling? Come on you need to bring better posts than this since you are a big time paid writer for nyhoops now.

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
what is troubling = post above me.  we cannot still be in the gutter of the big east after year 5....  even though rutgers is there, they are now getting major recruits.  why is that, faculties? no, it's because of fred hill and his coaching staff.... 

replace him with who?  are you telling me norm is the best available candidate to be the coach? get real.  bob mckillop says hello.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »
what is troubling = post above me.  we cannot still be in the gutter of the big east after year 5....  even though rutgers is there, they are now getting major recruits.  why is that, faculties? no, it's because of fred hill and his coaching staff.... 

replace him with who?  are you telling me norm is the best available candidate to be the coach? get real.  bob mckillop says hello.

When did you attend the PMG posting academy.....? How are we in the gutter of the Big East and the season hasn't started yet? How is Rutgers ahead of St. John's in terms of recruiting? Norm is our coach not a candidate to be our coach.

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »
we've been in the gutter for 4 years, and it's clear we will be in year 5. 

How isn't Rutgers ahead of St. John's in recruiting?  Mike Rosario and Greg Echinque are both much better recruits than Omari Lawrence... They also have a real chance of getting Tobias Harris in 2010, or Jay Pinkston in 2009... 

In 2009 Norm got Omari, which was great, but then struck out on every single recruit after that except for Lance.  And with Lance, who knows if he'll he elgible, or go to Europe.  It's a telling sign if not many schools are recruiting him.

mkras99

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »

How isn't Rutgers ahead of St. John's in recruiting?  Mike Rosario and Greg Echinque are both much better recruits than Omari Lawrence... They also have a real chance of getting Tobias Harris in 2010, or Jay Pinkston in 2009... 

In 2009 Norm got Omari, which was great, but then struck out on every single recruit after that except for Lance.  And with Lance, who knows if he'll he elgible, or go to Europe.  It's a telling sign if not many schools are recruiting him.
Not sure Rosario is a better player than Omari and Echenique plays a different position (not sure he's better than Justin).  Pinkston is a 2010 recruit, not a 2009 recruit and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he ends up here if we want him.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »

So let me get this straight you're praising Rutgers for having a chance at Tobias Harris but giving no credit for St. John's having a shot at Lance? Mkrass caught onto what I was hinting at with Rutgers comparing Rosario/Echenique to Omari/Justin. You are killing St. John's for exactly what you're praising Rutgers for and vice versa.

Also how is it clear we'll be in the gutter this year?

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »

I think we could finish in top 10 and that is a large difference from dead last however I'm debating the logic behind the rankings. I don't think Parrish knows too much about basketball. Also why do people get hung up on this year 5 business? If we all had a crystal ball and said if he could be somewhere in 4 years it wouldn't be where we are but the fact is we are and I like this current team and like the current direction. Lets focus on this year not the past 4 years.

Those who forget the past is doom to repeat it.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.