Who Needs to Improve to Make This Team More Competitive?

• 17 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Who Needs to Improve to Make This Team More Competitive?
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
Who needs to improve in the short term to make this team more competitive this season? Who do you think most needs to take a look at game tape and realize they didn't pull their weight yesterday?  Which player is most in need of spending this week, between eating chicken/ turkey/ ham/ candy canes and opening presents, figuring out how to better use the skills he has? 

Realistically.  And not just coach.  I saw Evans play much the way he has all year (aggressive), and Kennedy was okay (not terrible on offense, but not great either).  And Dele Coker managed to stay out there (but missed a number of rebounds he should have corralled). 

But who do you think needs to step up their game to make the Johnnies more functional on both sides of the ball?  Not saying "how would they beat U Conn," because that would take an otherworldy effort from every single player, but asking for making this team at least a tough out.  Because they didn't look like that yesterday

Be nice if Quincy was a lights-out shooter, but no real evidence of that yet.  And Malik, he just looked gassed.  I'll say Paris - the team would look a lot better if someone could consistently hit jumpers.  Paris is going to end up being the player who takes lots of outside shots, and he had some looks yesterday.  As well, he could learn a little from Malcolm Delaney's crafty moves to the hoop - that kids is great at drawing fouls.  And I think he has it in him to be more of an impact defender. 

Who's your pick?

Re: Who Needs to Improve to Make This Team More Competitive?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
Justin Burrell
Sean Evans
DJ Kennedy
Paris Horne
Malik Boothe
Tomas Jasilonzxzxzxis
Phil Wait
Dele Coker
Rob Thomas
Quincy Roberts
Tyshawn Edmondson
those are my picks
If those guys can  improve about 50% I think we would be decent with a new coach.

The team plays hard, they are just poorly coached and not talented enough. Whole program need to be overhauled just to be decent. And honestly for the first time I am not sure this will ever happen even if Norm is miraculously let go at the end of the season.

I actually found myself content with a double digit loss to Virginia tech becuase I simply hated the Geno / Mase led teams. Even with better talent next year Norm is going to have to juggle an apparent 15 wing players, while still making sure Mase jr is the face of the team. The program is what it might be from now on. 14 -15 wins 0nly if we play the same weak schedule from now on. Sad!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:50:30 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
Can we pick more than one guy,(and not the whole team WASJU)?

If so, I go with TY, TJ and Phil.
The bigs have to get more rebounds per minute played.

Ty has to step up and be able to give Malik more than the one minute he played yesterday without us giving up ground.

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »

Ty has to step up and be able to give Malik more than the one minute he played yesterday without us giving up ground.

Why not pick Malik, Burrell, and Rob Thomas?  Then we don't even need to play those guys.  What's the point of having our bench improved -- and those guys all SUCK so any improvement would not help most likely?
"I drink and I know things"

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »
malik needs to develop a shot and jb has to be consistently good in the paint.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

Ok I will pick three like you did:

Malik needs to learn how to shoot and to learn how to grow about 5 inches.

Burrell needs to learn how to play harder, develop some post moves that he probably won't get to use since he doesn't get the ball all that much and also develope stronger facial bones. H might also want to work on getting better teamates and a better coach.

Kennedy needs to develop a much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, getting tired of typing but I am trying to express my point, much, much nicer jump shot if he wants to be the best player on a team. Otherwise if he could develop 3 really good teamates he would be an excellent 3rd or 4th option and a very good role player!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:10:13 PM by we are sju »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »

Why not pick Malik, Burrell, and Rob Thomas?  Then we don't even need to play those guys.  What's the point of having our bench improved -- and those guys all SUCK so any improvement would not help most likely?
Agreed.  Phil has some potential and Tomas... needs to stop jumping up and fouling.  I think Ty is going to spend a lot of time on the bench - he needs a year to develop into any kind of college player.  I think, for example, if Justin was hungry for the rebounds like he should be, or if Paris was more consistent or could handle the backup point guard role, the team would be closer to competent against the real teams they face.

And I think Malik is what he is- no evidence that a consistent jump shot is coming, though he could step in and take 17-foot 2-pointers and only when bigs are there to rebound.  He needs to not take long three's.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »

Wow, I never heard of a team that didn't need it's bench players. Interesting concept.

I think Rob is getting better every game. I'm not worried about him, I like what I see so far.
Malik was not himself yesterday, and I don't mean his injury. He looked to be out of sorts from the early stage of the game. He played much better on Saturday. Yes there is room for improvement, but I think we would get more bang for the buck in my choices.

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »

Wow, I never heard of a team that didn't need it's bench players. Interesting concept. 

I think Rob is getting better every game. I'm not worried about him, I like what I see so far.
Malik was not himself yesterday, and I don't mean his injury. He looked to be out of sorts from the early stage of the game. He played much better on Saturday. Yes there is room for improvement, but I think we would get more bang for the buck in my choices. 

My point isn't that we don't need our bench --- my point is that our STARTERS are so far below the average Big East team that improving the subs will do nothing.  Subs improving is something important for a team who needs to put the finishing touches on a national title run - a la Duke, UNC, UConn this year.  We need our STARTERS - the guys playing the majority of minutes - to improve greatly before we can even sniff an NCAA or maybe even NIT berth --- that's why I don't see why we would want Q, Wait, and TJ (who is beyond awful) to improve before we turn Malik into a BE pg, Justin into a superstar, and Rob/Kennedy/Horne into a legit Big East starter.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:29:59 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »

My point isn't that we don't need our bench --- my point is that our STARTERS are so far below the average Big East team that improving the subs will do nothing.  Subs improving is something important for a team who needs to put the finishing touches on a national title run - a la Duke, UNC, UConn this year.  We need our STARTERS - the guys playing the majority of minutes - to improve greatly before we can even sniff an NCAA or maybe even NIT berth --- that's why I don't see why we would want Q, Wait, and TJ (who is beyond awful) to improve before we turn Malik into a BE pg, Justin into a superstar, and Rob/Kennedy/Horne into a legit Big East starter.

OK, I see your point, but I don't think the players on this team (specifically the starters) can improve enough to become a NCAA team, certainly not while still a member from the BE. I just don't think the talent level is there. Of course this is just my opinion, but I don't think if the Almightly came down and coached them for an entire season we would get to the Dance. The NIT yes, but not the NCAA's.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »
This might sound like doom and gloom, but there is nothing anyone on our roster can do that will make us competitive this year.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 03:51:20 PM »
The obvious answer is Burrell---but since he didn't play this weekend, we can only speculate as to what difference he would have made.  I think, in spite of Rob's good play, we are stronger when Justin is in there.

Also, although i think he has improved over last year, we need consistent and effective play from Coker.  He would take a lot of pressure off Sean if he could consistently establish position, and score some points in the half court set.  Defensively, if he can slog up the middle without getting into foul trouble, it would help the other guys defend the perimeter.

You can't ask for more from Evans.  He is playing excellent basketball right now.  I just hope he can do it against better opponents.  Kennedy has excellent balance and form on his jumper.  He just needs to make his shots.  Paris gives excellent effort on every play.  Other than Evans, he has been the biggest positive, in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »
Malik has to take really good care of the ball and JB needs to develop a low post game where we can depend on him to be a low post presence every game.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »
We need to play up tempo even after made baskets and JB needs to get out on the break the way Sean does.

Malik played 1 1/2 games with only one hand.  Can't knock the kid for his toughness.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »
Who needs to improve in the short term to make this team more competitive this season? Who do you think most needs to take a look at game tape and realize they didn't pull their weight yesterday?  Which player is most in need of spending this week, between eating chicken/ turkey/ ham/ candy canes and opening presents, figuring out how to better use the skills he has? 

Realistically.  And not just coach.  I saw Evans play much the way he has all year (aggressive), and Kennedy was okay (not terrible on offense, but not great either).  And Dele Coker managed to stay out there (but missed a number of rebounds he should have corralled). 

But who do you think needs to step up their game to make the Johnnies more functional on both sides of the ball?  Not saying "how would they beat U Conn," because that would take an otherworldy effort from every single player, but asking for making this team at least a tough out.  Because they didn't look like that yesterday

Be nice if Quincy was a lights-out shooter, but no real evidence of that yet.  And Malik, he just looked gassed.  I'll say Paris - the team would look a lot better if someone could consistently hit jumpers.  Paris is going to end up being the player who takes lots of outside shots, and he had some looks yesterday.  As well, he could learn a little from Malcolm Delaney's crafty moves to the hoop - that kids is great at drawing fouls.  And I think he has it in him to be more of an impact defender. 

Who's your pick?

Boothe, but really, they all have to improve.

Boothe. He was lousy on d. careless with ball, overall overwhelmed by va tech's size at the guard position.

Horne was fine. Slow in the 2nd half, and I'm still not sure why he doesn't try other ways to score. Can't live and die by the 3.

Kennedy is a great 2nd fiddle. He's fine.

Evans has to hit free throws, and stay out of foul trouble.
His early 2 killed us.

Thomas has improved, and he keeps getting better.
Can't pick on him.

Roberts is going to have to score for us.

Coker has to develop a move that he's confident with.
He actually backed his man down and scored. He has to keep that up.

TJ has to play more conservatively. Be there to rebound, maybe pass. That's it. He may have regressed.

Wait needs to keep his hands up, and forget about leaping for an up and under. He can still be okay, because he's somewhat athletic.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »
In my mind i believe Justin or DJ need to improve the most. not only to help the team but also somebody the team can lean on. i for some reason like the team without mase but without him they do not have a goto guy.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:35 AM »

Who's your pick?

Boothe, but really, they all have to improve.

Boothe. He was lousy on d. careless with ball, overall overwhelmed by va tech's size at the guard position.

Horne was fine. Slow in the 2nd half, and I'm still not sure why he doesn't try other ways to score. Can't live and die by the 3.

Kennedy is a great 2nd fiddle. He's fine.

Evans has to hit free throws, and stay out of foul trouble.
His early 2 killed us.

Thomas has improved, and he keeps getting better.
Can't pick on him.

Roberts is going to have to score for us.

Coker has to develop a move that he's confident with.
He actually backed his man down and scored. He has to keep that up.

TJ has to play more conservatively. Be there to rebound, maybe pass. That's it. He may have regressed.

Wait needs to keep his hands up, and forget about leaping for an up and under. He can still be okay, because he's somewhat athletic.
Like your list.

My thing with Paris is this - you want to look for him to look for other ways of scoring, but I don't know that's he's that good driving into traffic.  He may not be strong enough to make the ball go into the hole when he gets fouled, and he's not crafty enough with the ball to throw a defender off balance.  I noted it in the WVa game last year and he has the same problem - he's better shooting or beating his man up court than he is doing traffic moves.  I believe he blew a lay up when the defender was on his back - I wanted him to finish that with the flush.  If he can play/ make shots in traffic, and stick a few more open shots (or get open more), he's a much more dangerous player.

Right now he's a guy who takes a chunk of shots, and hits some of them.  But he's not putting the fear into defenders.  And he's fast and seemingly quick enough that he should.  That's just my opinion.  I think DJ's a great role player but I don't see the dead speed, quickness, or strength to make him a go-to, everyday scorer in this league.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 02:33:51 AM »
I think we have to identify and stick to our strengths as individuals and as a team.

Paris and DJ don't need to develop a nasty outside shot...they need to stop shooting 3 pointers and keep driving to the basket. I think they have good shots when wide open but within limitation.

Overall its play and improve our strengths rather than try and fix all our weaknesses. I'll be putting up a OOC report card up sometime before the PC game. 

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle