Name calling

• 10 replies
Name calling
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
Look, I have no doubt that everyone on this board is a fan and wants to see the program return to its days of glory, but castigating one another for showing support for the team, or painting faces or for not boycotting games is, imo  pointless. College students should all support the team regardless of how bad the coach is. That is perfectly appropriate. Disgruntled alumni (like myself) should do all in their power to communicate their displeasure to the Administration, the AD or whomever listens. The two positions aren't in conflict. Let's be grownup about this. Alumni ought to realize that supporting your team is part of the "college experience". It's up to the rest of us to make a stink.

Tha Kid

Re: Name calling
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
Look, I have no doubt that everyone on this board is a fan and wants to see the program return to its days of glory, but castigating one another for showing support for the team, or painting faces or for not boycotting games is, imo  pointless. College students should all support the team regardless of how bad the coach is. That is perfectly appropriate. Disgruntled alumni (like myself) should do all in their power to communicate their displeasure to the Administration, the AD or whomever listens. The two positions aren't in conflict. Let's be grownup about this. Alumni ought to realize that supporting your team is part of the "college experience". It's up to the rest of us to make a stink.

Good post Joeche.  I am one of the people you address in this post probably, but you put it very eloquently and I agree and will comply.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
Thanks for seeing my point. I was hoping for that kind of reply. As students we ought to have "blind loyalty".As alumni, we can be more discerning.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »

For the most part, I certainly agree with you.  Those that criticize students for showing up and being enthusiastic at the games need to remember what being a student in college is like.  At the same time, though, if the students are unhappy about something pertaining to the school that they pay for, they should be allowed to voice their displeasure, whether it's during games or otherwise.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
And seeing as I am the other culprit of late, I will cease too.
My Resolution is no more name calling or derogatory comments towards other posters.

We all want the same thing for the Program, and we are all frustrated with the current state of the Program.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
It was well put, but I can't agree with it.  I understand what being a student is all about--I am still in my 20's. 

However, the freshman, soph's, and juniors are doing themselves a HUGE disservice by cheering these teams on. If they voiced their displeasure like my class did during the Jarvis 2002-2003 season (Fire Jarvis chants, of which I was not a part of), they could actually help this team replace a HORRIBLE coach that is making this program more irrelevant with each passing day.

Every day he is here is that much harder the next coach has to work to get back to respectability. 

This team will win around three games the rest of the season.  The students should be downright livid that the administration has stripped away such a great part of the college experience from them. 

Instead, they cheer for a team that will absolutely find the bottom as a surelely as a piece of dog turd thrown into the air. No matter how high it goes in the beginning, it is going to come crashing down.

Don't these students want to be a part of bringing a change to the school? 

Funny thing is, I have no doubt the guy without sleeves and his crew will turn on the team eventually and start the bronx cheers.  But why waste three months pretending like the turd that is STJ basketball under Norman the Nightmare won't come crashing to the ground?

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
The students cheering on the team doesn't have to do with their coach but more with with friends, peers, and classmates aka the players.

Anyways behave yourselves and I'm having some computer woes that will hopefully be fixed by today. My apologies fir the site not being updated
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »
Marrilac, I have a better understanding of your POV knowing that you are still in your 20's. Perhaps when you reach my age, you will have learned to take a longer view of St. John's basketball. Over the years,(I've been following the team since "58) I have seen many great games, some extremely talented teams and some rather mediocre ones as well. I have suffered through losses to NYU, Fordham, Manhattan and St. Joe's. Granted, nothing like the recent past, but you get the idea. Believe it or not, one of the most frustrating years for me was '85 when after beating Georgetown the first time we played them, we lost on our next three meetings. Thompson ran a box and one D on Chris and that was that. You have to know there was much grumbling among the alumni that Louie was too old fashioned, that he couldn't adapt, that he should have set up double screens for Chris, blah,blah, blah. The truth was we just didn't match up well against Georgetown. Had Villinova played them in the semis, we might have had our first championship. Take the long view. I know it's frustrating because the Administration (ie. Fr. Harrington)doesn't seem to care. Believe me, that isn't new either. The Vincentians do better running orphanages than colleges. They made Joe Lapchick retire. They got Louie dirt cheap and likewise Mahoney. They are paternalistic and short-sighted. Get used to it. Maybe, one of these years, you can buy me a beer at a game.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:52:36 PM »
Believe it or not, one of the most frustrating years for me was '85 when after beating Georgetown the first time we played them, we lost on our next three meetings.

Yeah, the year we made our last final four was your most frustrating. Are you kidding me? I think our fan base would be beyond happy if we can even make the NCAA tourney on a mostly regular basis. We are now a garbage team and an easy win for any decent Div. 1 team. Amazing how your standards have fallen.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:39 PM »
Marrilac, I have a better understanding of your POV knowing that you are still in your 20's. Perhaps when you reach my age, you will have learned to take a longer view of St. John's basketball. Over the years,(I've been following the team since "58) I have seen many great games, some extremely talented teams and some rather mediocre ones as well. I have suffered through losses to NYU, Fordham, Manhattan and St. Joe's. Granted, nothing like the recent past, but you get the idea. Believe it or not, one of the most frustrating years for me was '85 when after beating Georgetown the first time we played them, we lost on our next three meetings. Thompson ran a box and one D on Chris and that was that. You have to know there was much grumbling among the alumni that Louie was too old fashioned, that he couldn't adapt, that he should have set up double screens for Chris, blah,blah, blah. The truth was we just didn't match up well against Georgetown. Had Villinova played them in the semis, we might have had our first championship. Take the long view. I know it's frustrating because the Administration (ie. Fr. Harrington)doesn't seem to care. Believe me, that isn't new either. The Vincentians do better running orphanages than colleges. They made Joe Lapchick retire. They got Louie dirt cheap and likewise Mahoney. They are paternalistic and short-sighted. Get used to it. Maybe, one of these years, you can buy me a beer at a game.

I understand your view.  I think if all fans were like me, however, we would have a real coach in here.  I was willing to demonstrate or do something at the end last year, but nobody else besides MJMaher was with me. 

We don't have to settle for an up-and-coming coach.  A good coach can pay his own salary and more and there have to be people that realize this.   

As luck would have it, I now have one more chance to make myself heard to the President himself and you can bet your arse I am going to make the most of it. 

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:09 PM »
We also have to think about the time we are living in today. Look at redman.com it is only ten years old. Students now are more connected than ever. The students have the players as friends on facebook. Some students don’t want to cheer against the team. Which includes the coach.