Angels & Demons

• 5 replies

Tha Kid

Angels & Demons
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
I read all of the Dan Brown books before the Da Vinci Code movie was ever made and even took a class on "The Da Vinci Code and other Forgeries" in college.

I said at the time that Angels & Demons was a better book and would make a FAR better movie.  While the book comparison is debatable, the movie comparison is not.  Angels & Demons was entertaining, kept you on the edge of your seat, and moved at a much faster pace than the Da Vinci Code movie (though Curtis Johnson on a fast break moved faster than Da Vinci Code).  Did others see it? What'd you think?

Dan Brown has a new book coming out in the fall that I'm psyched about...his other 2 books are pretty good but not quite Da Vinci or A&D, IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Angels & Demons
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
I read all of the Dan Brown books before the Da Vinci Code movie was ever made and even took a class on "The Da Vinci Code and other Forgeries" in college.

I said at the time that Angels & Demons was a better book and would make a FAR better movie.  While the book comparison is debatable, the movie comparison is not.  Angels & Demons was entertaining, kept you on the edge of your seat, and moved at a much faster pace than the Da Vinci Code movie (though Curtis Johnson on a fast break moved faster than Da Vinci Code).  Did others see it? What'd you think?

Dan Brown has a new book coming out in the fall that I'm psyched about...his other 2 books are pretty good but not quite Da Vinci or A&D, IMO.

I agree, I thought Angels and Demons was better than the Davinci Code, but I didnt like either movie for some reason.Both books were great though. For some reason that I cant point out, I just dont think Hanks is a good fit for Robert Langdon.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 03:40:45 PM by Marco Baldi »

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »

I agree, I thought Angels and Demons was better than the Davinci Code, but I didnt like either movie for some reason.Both books were great though. For some reason that I cant point out, I just dont think Hanks is a good fit for Robert Langdon.

I agree -- and Hanks is an awesome actor so I don't know if it's that the director's intepretation of Langdon is off or what.  I think Harrison Ford could have been a great Langdon - but dont remember in the books if they say he's not as old as Ford looks now.  Ford certainly had the professor/pursuer/historical buff down pat on Indiana Jones and this movie required no physical prowess so he wouldn't "need" to pretend he's younger.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

What is the new book about.? I read Digital Fortress and thought it was very weak as compared to Da Vinci & A&D.

If anyone wants good summer reading, check out: www.vinceflynn.com   - He has a series of books in which the central character is Mitch Rapp (he is a Jack Bauer type character). They easy reads for the beach/pool and are entertaining...

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »

I agree -- and Hanks is an awesome actor so I don't know if it's that the director's intepretation of Langdon is off or what.  I think Harrison Ford could have been a great Langdon - but dont remember in the books if they say he's not as old as Ford looks now.  Ford certainly had the professor/pursuer/historical buff down pat on Indiana Jones and this movie required no physical prowess so he wouldn't "need" to pretend he's younger.

I enjoyed Da Vinci Code the book a little more than Angels and Demons, but both were absolutely terrific.  I hated Da Vinci Code the movie.  I am with both of you that Tom Hanks as Langdon did not resonate with me.  I think it's because we all couldn't help but picture Langdon as Harrison Ford --consciously or subconsciously--because of the Indiana Jones movies.  When we think middle-aged college professor that is good with the ladies and goes out on a death-defying mission, how can we not think of Harrison Ford?

I will see Angels and Demons next weekend, but I never like the movie as much as the book.

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »

What is the new book about.? I read Digital Fortress and thought it was very weak as compared to Da Vinci & A&D.

If anyone wants good summer reading, check out: www.vinceflynn.com   - He has a series of books in which the central character is Mitch Rapp (he is a Jack Bauer type character). They easy reads for the beach/pool and are entertaining...

I agree Digital Fortress was weak - Deception Point wasn't on the level of A&D and Da Vinci Code either...but I am still hopeful