Ryan Rhoomes - PF - NIA Prep - Queens, NY - FORDHAM

• 155 replies
Re: Ryan Rhoomes - F - Cardozo HS - Queens, NY
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 02:49:08 AM »
Ryan Rhoomes knew he was coming to see him that day.

Still, Rhoomes couldn't believe it. There he was, West Virginia men's basketball coach Bob Huggins, walking into the gym at Benjamin Cardozo High School during eighth period gym class this past September.

Huggins, one of the most colorful coaches in the country, chatted with Rhoomes, telling him he would like Rhoomes to play in Morgantown.

"I mean, it was crazy," said Rhoomes, who played for Middletown High for two seasons before transferring last year to Cardozo in Bayside, Queens. "I was just like 'wow.' I'm in the gym, just playing, and he starts talking to me. It can get to your head with everyone saying 'Ryan this, Ryan that.' It's a great life, but I just make sure I don't get cocky."

St. John's coach Norm Roberts and Virginia Tech's Seth Greenberg have visited Rhoomes, a 6-foot-8 senior power forward, at Cardozo. It's not uncommon for him to walk into a Bayside pizzeria and run into a Division I assistant coach, in Queens to recruit him.

Rhoomes, intimidated by the New York City game when he arrived to Cardozo, is now one of the top prospects in the talent-rich five boroughs. West Virginia, St. John's, Providence, Virginia Tech and Cincinnati have already made him full scholarship offers. Rhoomes, averaging 16.8 points, 12.2 rebounds and 3.1 blocks this season, will prepare for big-time college basketball by polishing his grades for a year at South Kent School, a prep school in Connecticut.

He could make his college decision by the end of Cardozo's season.

Read more at http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100112/SPORTS31/1120328

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
Cardozo 6-foot-8 big man Ryan Rhoomes was a key contributor in the Judges’ 66-57 win over St. Raymond’s and Boys & Girls High School guard Mike Taylor, as usual, had a hand in the Kangaroos’ 53-40 win over Long Island Lutheran to close out Saturday’s action. Afterwards each spent a few moments updating their recruitment picture for NBE readers.

After scoring 14 points as Cardozo held off a second half rally from St. Raymond’s to earn a 66-57 win in the Big Apple Basketball High School Invitational on Saturday, Ryan Rhoomes was asked if he saw himself playing in the Big East one day.

“Definitely,” replied Rhoomes, who earned MVP honors for his effort in Saturday’s game. “I think my game has to progress a lot more to play in the Big East. I’m not really ready yet, that’s why I’m going to prep school next year, so I like think I have to get mentally and physically ready for the Big East, but I think I should be able to make it.”

Rhoomes is planning to take a year of prep at the popular destination for NYC-area players, the South Kent (CT) School. After a strong performance this summer at the Reebok All-American Camp in Philadelphia and a solid season for Ron Naclerio at Cardozo, Rhoomes is now claiming scholarship offers from West Virginia, Virginia Tech, St. John’s, Providence and Pittsburgh while also mentioning interest coming from Seton Hall and Memphis. He has taken an unofficial visit to get a closer look at St. John’s and indicated the Red Storm would “definitely” be among his favorites when it is time to narrow the process down.

“Growing up as a kid my favorite team was St. John’s because of Justin Burrell,” said Rhoomes Saturday. “Me and Justin are real close, he’s from the same city I’m from so I always wanted to there because they have a real nice school.”

Rhoomes has also previously listed Cincinnati, Marquette and Iowa State as schools involved in his recruitment when talking with NBE recently.

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2010/01/19/2011-nyc-prospects-rhoomes-taylor-like-big-east/
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

LJSA

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »
He never said he wanted to come because of the coach, which is good if by some miracle Norm is asked to leave.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:46 AM »
Very good looking prospect.  He used to play at Middletown, which is currently #25 in the state.  Another section 9 team, Newburgh, is ranked #2 overall in the state and has some good talent. 

Gotta love the JB connection.  I think we can land him sooner rather than later.  The South Kent connection can't hurt either, but it's sad that having Naclerio on his side is not a benefit to STJ anymore.

SJU79

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
Rhoomes will be a nice BE player but the kid who will be a STAR is JACK from Rice. Around the gyms last weekend people were stunned how good he's gotten....also heard some rumblings that Norm has realized that his best bet for the class of 11' might be attracting some out of state kids who might be attracted by NYC, MSG and the BE. Working on specific names.

mkras99

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
Rhoomes will be a nice BE player but the kid who will be a STAR is JACK from Rice. Around the gyms last weekend people were stunned how good he's gotten....also heard some rumblings that Norm has realized that his best bet for the class of 11' might be attracting some out of state kids who might be attracted by NYC, MSG and the BE. Working on specific names.
What's up with the impending commit that you were talking about?  Any updates?

SJU79

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
Word was Rhoomes was going to verbal...my comments about him holding out was the word is his "coach" wanted him to wait and explore other options. Im hearing he will commit by the end of his season

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
Hey SJU79 by coach do you mean Ron?

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 02:15:21 PM »
It would be great to see Davontay & Ryan both goto South Kent and play together for a year.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:16:13 PM by Red2395 »

mkras99

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
Word was Rhoomes was going to verbal...my comments about him holding out was the word is his "coach" wanted him to wait and explore other options. Im hearing he will commit by the end of his season
Cool - thanks for the info.  Sounds like Rhoomes would be a nice get so hopefully it happens.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Hey SJU79 by coach do you mean Ron?

Anytime I see Rhoomes he is with Gary Charles.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
http://temple.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1038647

In case you have a Rivals account, here's Ryan talking about his game to Rivals.

SJU79

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
to be fair it is in a kids best interest to explore all his options before making a decision. Hurley Sr. is notorious for not allowing kids to make a decision right after a visit. I would not read into this as Ron being anti-SJU(which may or may not be accurate)

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
to be fair it is in a kids best interest to explore all his options before making a decision. Hurley Sr. is notorious for not allowing kids to make a decision right after a visit. I would not read into this as Ron being anti-SJU(which may or may not be accurate)

So youre saying some of Hurleys kids actually thought long and hard before signing on at Rutgers and Fordham?

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »

So youre saying some of Hurleys kids actually thought long and hard before signing on at Rutgers and Fordham?

Good point Baldi

kob24

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
hello

mkras99

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »

boo3

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »
 Is he better than Burrell, at  this stage?

kob24

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
i have things to subtract