" We are st. john's "

• 17 replies
" We are st. john's "
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »
Geno:
On the crowd's reaction to the DePaul comeback:
"I don't play basketball for the fans, I play for St. John's."

You have been here four years, and u make a comment like that?

We (the fans) are St. Johns!!!!  Its hard to root for these guys anymore.

I DVR'd the game, but I am not even going to watch it.

Randomhero423

Re: " We are st. john's "
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
he got A LOT of heat from my section.  he's become the face (aka: scapegoat) of st john's struggles.  so i can see him being frustrated, but it's very idiotic for him to say that.

all i know is that next game i go to, i'll have no problem yelling "BOOOOOOOOOOthe" when he's in and stinking up the joint.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:52:12 AM »
my favorite is before the game my friend was making BOOOOOOOOOOOTH signs on the back of the posters that have the schedula on it. Yea they are pretty big but will get the attention of anybody. well by his second O public safty was allready on the walkie talkies saying a kid was making signs that spelled out BOOOOO. at this time i saw 2 other public safty people start walking over to us. a band member heard him and said no no they for BOOOOOOOOOTH. but oh guess what they told him on the walkie talkie? the signs would be to big and we could not hold up the signs. my 2nd favorite moment was during like 10 seconds like 5 students stood on the buttom bleacher for cheering on there team and the guy came over right away and told us we know we cant stand on it and don't do it again. it is amazing how there are 10 sections in CA and the only one that is not allowed to use the bottum bench is the student section.

so sad how far the knicks and johnnies have fallen. this once great city...

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
Geno is a nice guy and OK point guard who is feeling the heat with Malik!
To make a statement like that is not cool

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:31:38 AM »
Geno:
On the crowd's reaction to the DePaul comeback:
"I don't play basketball for the fans, I play for St. John's."

You have been here four years, and u make a comment like that?

We (the fans) are St. Johns!!!!  Its hard to root for these guys anymore.

I DVR'd the game, but I am not even going to watch it.

thats the stupidiest comment i have heard from any athelete since kellen winslow of University of Miami comparing himself to a soldier in the iraqi war. geno need to accept the fact that boothe runs the point better.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »
i saw the comment and some of the press conference on video and it wasnt in this kind of context.  everyone on here knows that i am not a fan of geno but this isnt comment isnt something to fault him on.  he was asked if the fans booing was getting to him and this was his way of saying that it wasnt and that he has to focus on the team and not what the fans are saying.  yes, there  couldve been a better choice of words to makeit clearer but of all the things geno could and should be at fault for, this is not one of them
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
i saw the comment and some of the press conference on video and it wasnt in this kind of context.  everyone on here knows that i am not a fan of geno but this isnt comment isnt something to fault him on.  he was asked if the fans booing was getting to him and this was his way of saying that it wasnt and that he has to focus on the team and not what the fans are saying.  yes, there  couldve been a better choice of words to makeit clearer but of all the things geno could and should be at fault for, this is not one of them

I dont care what context it was in, I dont play for the fans should never come out of his mouth.  Its so sad what this program has come too. 

The reason I follow St. Johns so closely, and I am sure most of you, is that we are all associated with SJU somehow.  Its not like a professional team where a million factors come into how someone became a fan. 

What kind of example for the young guys is this? JB had the best comments if you ask me.

kob24

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:36:54 PM »
ok i know how it came out was bad. and i know hes playing horrible. but i dont think he meant it like this. its kinda like when u have a kid and u tell him dont worry what others think about u just do what u feel is right. i guess he was saying im not playing for them im playing so that my team can win.plus he was applauded when he was subbed so add that on top of it hes upset.  i mean he could have picked other words but in the heat of the moment he said the 1st thing that came to his mind. do i still think he suck hell yeah but i dont think he was disrepcting yall like that.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »
ok i know how it came out was bad. and i know hes playing horrible. but i dont think he meant it like this. its kinda like when u have a kid and u tell him dont worry what others think about u just do what u feel is right. i guess he was saying im not playing for them im playing so that my team can win.plus he was applauded when he was subbed so add that on top of it hes upset.  i mean he could have picked other words but in the heat of the moment he said the 1st thing that came to his mind. do i still think he suck hell yeah but i dont think he was disrepcting yall like that.

saying the first thing that comes to his mind is a reflection of how he plays as well. that is why he is prone to turnovers.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »
he's a college kid.  dealing with the media can be rough.  we take sentences out of context for impact.  it's what happens when news becomes a string of soundbites rather than real stories.

i get after norm because he knows better.

cut geno some slack.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »
he's a college kid.  dealing with the media can be rough.  we take sentences out of context for impact.  it's what happens when news becomes a string of soundbites rather than real stories.

i get after norm because he knows better.

cut geno some slack.

Yeah you are right, let him say what he wants about the fans.  Cmon is a grown man, been here for four years, and doesnt realize what the fans mean to the program??

Cut him some slack, he gets a free education, living expenses, and who knows what else.  I took this comment to heart, i am stupid enough to actually follow this team and watch the games.

I can tell most of the fans and media have cut themselves some slack too and given up on sju.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »

amen.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »
Its not like Geno gets paid.  And he get a lot of flack.  How can you blame him?  He frustrated. Burrell is frustrated.  Its clear that we are all frustrated.  Railing on the kid isn't going to get Boothe in the game and it certainly isn't going to get Geno to play better. 

I can't believe people are going crazy over this quote.  Do we not have enough legitimate problems with the team?  Do we have to focus on a quote that we don't like?

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »
The guy is clearly frustrated, I don't think you should crucify him for making a silly statement out of frustration.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
The guy is clearly frustrated, I don't think you should crucify him for making a silly statement out of frustration.

Who is crucifying him?  I guess i am frustrated from watching his play all season.  I think for myself, it just might be the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Like thetux from redmen just said, "I dont root for geno, I root for st. johns"

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
Amen. I have been as critical of Geno as anyone but we shouldn't forget that our team would have lost quite a few more games and others by wider margins over the last three seasons without his contributions. But, we had not real alternative to Geno. This year he seems to be burned out and unless the spark miraculously returns I think that we need to see a lot more Malik - now, not later.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
my favorite is before the game my friend was making BOOOOOOOOOOOTH signs on the back of the posters that have the schedula on it. Yea they are pretty big but will get the attention of anybody. well by his second O public safty was allready on the walkie talkies saying a kid was making signs that spelled out BOOOOO. at this time i saw 2 other public safty people start walking over to us. a band member heard him and said no no they for BOOOOOOOOOTH. but oh guess what they told him on the walkie talkie? the signs would be to big and we could not hold up the signs. my 2nd favorite moment was during like 10 seconds like 5 students stood on the buttom bleacher for cheering on there team and the guy came over right away and told us we know we cant stand on it and don't do it again. it is amazing how there are 10 sections in CA and the only one that is not allowed to use the bottum bench is the student section.

so sad how far the knicks and johnnies have fallen. this once great city...

jeff, is that why they told me to stop making the signs?!  I never even thought of that, that they would think im making a sign that says "boooo," but its still ridiculous..this is not in any way negative towards anyone or anything...the more i think about it, thats probably what it was..they thought it was gonna be a large "booo" sign...what the hell kind of excuse is "the signs are too big"...that doesnt even make sense...i saw a girl in the beginning of the season hold up a large poster for geno...they sell the freakin schedules that i used at the games!!!!  ughhh the more games i attend the more frustrated i become with the joke that is st johns...ive never seen a school try so hard to draw fans\students AWAY from the team\game...the pitt game at the garden should be very interesting ::) ::)

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »
I think I might use mase spray on an usher if he tried to throw me out of the game
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle