Ron Roberts - F - St. Peters Prep - Jersey City, NJ - ST. JOSEPH'S

• 227 replies
Re: Ron Roberts - F - St. Peters Prep - New Brunswick, NJ - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »
So do we like this signing??? More than other years...where does this rank in terms of the players we got who came in this year?

kob24

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »
sorry while im writing this im watching lance play and i have to say that this shit hurts. i was never a st.johnsfan until my guys came here. but i will always root for ny. i think he should have been here. i think he could have been here. any way i like both of them alot. mack a lttle more even though he is like 5'9 but they can freaking score. and can play the point mack alittle better.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
We've been on Myles and Myles for... miles? So I hope this is a prelude.  Here's hoping they're close to their boy Ron-Rob.

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
At least he's more of a post-playing tweener than a perimeter tweener.  Interesting pickup... can he score?

Also, he's a teammate of 4-star recruit Myles Davis: Myles Davis Bio And AAU teammate of Myles Mack...

HMMMM

If you have a Rivals account: http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=979645

Indiana was apparently on him.

""We sat down just last week to talk about what is so exciting about Indiana because now he has offers from just about everybody in the Big East," said Kelly. "Has offers from the Atlantic 10, the Big Ten and Maryland. He is just infatuated with the history of Indiana and that kind of shocked me because I didn't know what he knew of Indiana. He is really, really excited that they are recruiting him hard."

When Peegs.com got the chance to see Roberts in Las Vegas last month, the New Jersey native was impressive as a shot blocker and rebounder inside and showed solid perimeter skills as well.

"I think he is being recruited as an athletic four that can score inside and outside," said Kelly. "That gives coaches more of an opportunity to utilize his abilities in the paint. His strength -- we are pretty heavy into our strength and conditioning and he is becoming one of our strongest guys."

He talked about his developing perimeter game.

"365 days ago he shot line drives at the front of the rim," said Kelly. "He didn't really know how to hold the ball. It is all work in progress but his perimeter game has really stepped up. Having the god given tools and the athletic ability and couple that with being our hardest working guy--the sky is the limit for him."
"
Funny you should reference that article, I actually watched him out in LV with Peegs and my cousin. He's an athletic, but short four, as the article said. I don't think any of the conference's elite will lose sleep over Roberts getting Roberts. Kyle Anderson was the most intriguing prospect in the program, but he's got to work on his jumper. Lil' Myles Mack will be a fun four year player too.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
Welcome Ron! Keep working hard.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Welcome aboard...look forward to seeing him play for the Johnnies!

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:17 PM »
So do we like this signing??? More than other years...where does this rank in terms of the players we got who came in this year?

Other schools in the Big East continue to land 4 and 5 star prospects and St. John's is still focused on landing under the radar recruits.  Do we even have to look much further into why this program is as irrelevant as it is?  I'm sorry ... I know it's not the popular thing to say.  But this just continues the perpetual cycle that has been going on at St. John's for 6 years now.  When you don't land big time talent, it's hard to be a big time team.

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »

Other schools in the Big East continue to land 4 and 5 star prospects and St. John's is still focused on landing under the radar recruits.  Do we even have to look much further into why this program is as irrelevant as it is?  I'm sorry ... I know it's not the popular thing to say.  But this just continues the perpetual cycle that has been going on at St. John's for 6 years now.  When you don't land big time talent, it's hard to be a big time team.

I've never been to hung up on recruiting stars. I'll definitely make it out to a couple of St. Peter's Prep games this season and take some video.

We should be involved with and signing Doron Lamb, Tobias Harris, Jayvaughn Pinkston's. I agree we should be but right now we aren't(You want to point the finger here thats fine and acceptable gripe). Then if we play the waiting game and they go elsewhere where are we then?

I understand with 1 scholarship available you'd think this is the year we swing for the fences. I think we had to sign someone in the early period and couldn't afford to let it linger to the spring when hopefully we're getting 2011 commitments.

I like that we dipped into Seton Hall/Rutgers backyard for this recruit. I also like that we established some type of connection to the NJ Playaz who has a wealth of talent in 2011.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 01:45:04 AM »

I have to agree with you.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we really did need a BIGTIME talent with this 1 scholarship, and I don't think Ronald Roberts is that guy.  I've spoken to a few people who have all said he has huge upside but is a project. 

Because of all our current Juniors graduating in 2011, we're gonna need Roberts to be close to a finished product by a sophomore year. 

Now is it possible we land Pinkston or another prospect and "make room" for them?  Based on the fact that there have been transfers every year under Norm, I would say it's certainly possible. 

But who would you "push out the door"?  Would it be Rob Thomas?  That might be the most logical choice basketball wise, but based on what he's been able to overcome off the court, it would be a REAL tragedy to push him out.  Would it be Dele Coker?  Would it be Quincy Roberts?  Again, this is all hypothetical and probably VERY preliminary.

This is where Norm's mismanagement of scholarships will really hurt us.  We now have no room to work with and SJU needs guys that can be difference makers in the Big East as freshmen and sophomores.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

gonzalo

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 01:51:31 AM »
Welcome, Ron!

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56:28 AM »
Welcome to St. John's. Ron

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

I've never been to hung up on recruiting stars. I'll definitely make it out to a couple of St. Peter's Prep games this season and take some video.

We should be involved with and signing Doron Lamb, Tobias Harris, Jayvaughn Pinkston's. I agree we should be but right now we aren't(You want to point the finger here thats fine and acceptable gripe). Then if we play the waiting game and they go elsewhere where are we then?

I understand with 1 scholarship available you'd think this is the year we swing for the fences. I think we had to sign someone in the early period and couldn't afford to let it linger to the spring when hopefully we're getting 2011 commitments.

I like that we dipped into Seton Hall/Rutgers backyard for this recruit. I also like that we established some type of connection to the NJ Playaz who has a wealth of talent in 2011.

Dave, I completely understand where you're coming from.  But in the same respect, Norm has been here for 5 years and still can't sign a difference maker for this program.  The bottom line is St. John's has been relegated to competing with mid-majors for recruits and has been for years.  And while you say that they are creating a type of connection the NJ Playaz, what in Norm's past would lead you to believe Norm can sign any prime time player from them?

I'm sorry, but it needs to be asked ... why is Norm still employed?  Outside of Fred Hill, he is probably the poorest in game coach in the conference.  And to boot, he still can't out recruit any coach in the Big East.

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »

Dave, I completely understand where you're coming from.  But in the same respect, Norm has been here for 5 years and still can't sign a difference maker for this program.  The bottom line is St. John's has been relegated to competing with mid-majors for recruits and has been for years.  And while you say that they are creating a type of connection the NJ Playaz, what in Norm's past would lead you to believe Norm can sign any prime time player from them?

I'm sorry, but it needs to be asked ... why is Norm still employed?  Outside of Fred Hill, he is probably the poorest in game coach in the conference.  And to boot, he still can't out recruit any coach in the Big East.

The administration wants no part of scandal, I think that trumps everything else in their eyes.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »
I hae no problem with this signing.  Marillac actually became a St. John's fan while living in New Brunswick, NJ.  Good to see a New Brunswick kid come aboard. 

I think these 6'7 bouncy kids are the types that blow up more than any other. 

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »

And while you say that they are creating a type of connection the NJ Playaz, what in Norm's past would lead you to believe Norm can sign any prime time player from them?

BINGO.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
I hae no problem with this signing.  Marillac actually became a St. John's fan while living in New Brunswick, NJ.  Good to see a New Brunswick kid come aboard. 

I think these 6'7 bouncy kids are the types that blow up more than any other.

Speaking in the 3rd person ;D
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »

Justin Burrell to Omari Lawrence and Dwight Hardy.

Ron Roberts to ???

Thats my line of thinking.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
he is good. saw him play twice. what is more important is that u got a kid from jimmy salmons. and that might be huge.
How good is his HS/AAU teammate Myles?

I remember paying close attention to Myles Mack at the NIKE Peach Jam over the summer....  He has pretty good quickness; distributes the ball fairly well and can stroke it from deep. 

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
Sounds like the kind of guy who will work hard to improve...with an instinct for rebounds. Welcome Ron!

Those 2000 teams w/Artest, Postell, Bootsy...everyone was 6-4 to 6-7 and had hops. Fun teams to watch.

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »
St. John's coach Norm Roberts likes athletic players who can play multiple positions. His team is loaded with them. And now he's bringing another on board.

The Red Storm got a signed national letter of intent Thursday from Ron Roberts, a 6-7 senior from Bayonne, N.J., now enrolled at Jersey City St. Peter's Prep. He chose the Johnnies over Saint Joseph's, the other school that's been heavily involved with him long term. In recent months a handful of elite programs have tried to make inroads with him, most notably Indiana.

Ron Roberts is a late bloomer who has played only one full season at St. Peter's Prep and averaged 17.4 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots. He primarily played in the low post. In the off-season with the N.J. Playaz club team he usually plays on the wing and faces the basket.

"This kid has played 26 varsity basketball games in his life. He didn't play a minute of varsity basketball at Bayonne (High) before he transferred," St. Peter's Prep coach Mike Kelly said. "It's a meteoric rise in terms of his ability. In 14 months it's a complete transformation. It's because he works his butt off every day.

"If the trend of maturing continues, he has a shot to be a pro. He's already got the sizzle. He just needs the steak and potatoes. It's a coup for St. John's."

"Ronald will be a great addition to our program," Norm Roberts said. "He is an outstanding young man who will give us versatility at the power forward and small forward positions. Ron has a great upside."

Kelly thought Ron Roberts was a lock to go to Saint Joseph's, which has sent three players to the NBA over the past eight seasons. He was stunned at how the player reacted to Norm Roberts.

"I didn't think it could happen, but he blew the kid away," Kelly said. "He fell in love with the idea of playing in the Big East. He was signed, sealed and delivered as soon as he went there."

St. John's (2-0), which meets Brown (1-2) Friday at 7 at Carnesecca Arena in a first-round game of the Philly Hoop Group Classic, has only one scholarship senior in Anthony Mason Jr. and this could be its only recruit of the year. In recent seasons, some players have opted to transfer in the spring so the Johnnies' staff will continue to recruit.

Kelly said that Ron Roberts has increased his weight training to prepare himself for the physical play in the Big East. "He wants to play minutes next season," he said.

Ron Roberts has not yet completed the NCAA-mandated requirements for freshman participation. Kelly said his grade-point average has him in good academic standing at the school, but that he won't take the college boards for the first time until next month.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/11/19/2009-11-19_st_johns.html#ixzz0XMF9nVCI
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!