St. John's vs Fordham Post Game Discussion

• 78 replies
Re: St. John's vs Fordham Post Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »
I think we're pretty toned down during basketball games compared to soccer games lol. We should do some soccer chants at the basketball games

Poison

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2009, 02:09:09 AM »
In all seriousness, we do not need to be too hard on Fordham.
They played great for them, and we shot terribly, and still won by 17.

They have no hope of winning 10 games. I'm not sure they can win 5. Who can they beat? Do they play Wagner? Bryant? NJIT?

They really should. Gaston was very very good, but it all ends there.

matt6

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »
The duke game last year was deffinetly the most student I've seen @ a game in a while..did they make the tickets cheeper or was it just the buses to the garden..either way it was nice to see I jus wish most of them would have gotten a little louder..lol..it still seemed like duke fans were louder.
   The only bad part was all the students were scatterd all thru msg it would be nice if the would of put em all together either on one baseline or half n half..maybe they would have been a lil louder..I think they should do that for all b.e games @ msg

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 02:39:23 AM »
In all seriousness, we do not need to be too hard on Fordham.
They played great for them, and we shot terribly, and still won by 17.

They have no hope of winning 10 games. I'm not sure they can win 5. Who can they beat? Do they play Wagner? Bryant? NJIT?

They really should. Gaston was very very good, but it all ends there.
So you are telling the students to “play down” to the opponent???

I don’t have the time to search back specifics, but haven’t you killed the players for playing down for certain games?

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »
I see your middle finger, and I raise you a "your mother" comment from one of the Stony Brook players to us last week!  ;D
OK, but I call with a letter from the former commissioner, as well as an email the director of zebras for the BE!

tims19

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
The duke game last year was deffinetly the most student I've seen @ a game in a while..did they make the tickets cheeper or was it just the buses to the garden..either way it was nice to see I jus wish most of them would have gotten a little louder..lol..it still seemed like duke fans were louder.
   The only bad part was all the students were scatterd all thru msg it would be nice if the would of put em all together either on one baseline or half n half..maybe they would have been a lil louder..I think they should do that for all b.e games @ msg

if we were all together we would have been louder, im not saying all the students would have made noise but there are definately 40 or so students that wanted to be loud but they were probably scartered in 10 or so groups all over msg and couldnt really chant apart from hoping the 5 guys next to them would be really loud

matt6

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:33 AM »

if we were all together we would have been louder, im not saying all the students would have made noise but there are definately 40 or so students that wanted to be loud but they were probably scartered in 10 or so groups all over msg and couldnt really chant apart from hoping the 5 guys next to them would be really loud

That's what I'm saying..personally I think it was stupid having alllll those students in the building but scattered throughout diffrent sections..I feel the students would of gotten a lot more into bieng along side classmates..it would also make a lot more sense in other wise it pretty much defeats the point of having all the students in the building..
  Being in.  Hartford I've been to a few uconn  >:( games and the way the have it is all the students are in the lower section all on the same side behind the hoop by the opposing team bench..I don't see y we can't do this @ msg...

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
Kev, last year we sold nearly 800 student season tickets lol...so many freshmen just sign up during orientation, their parents buy the tickets and they dont go. Alot of people dont even pick up their season tickets. I agree, I still have a feeling there's gonna be problems at MSG, but we'll see i guess

I don't know who gave you the grief last year, but last week the WHOLE uconn student section was standing the ENTIRE game against kentucky behind the basket. 

Is it the SJU personnel or the MSG people that give u problems at the garden?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2009, 06:46:32 AM »
We'd be 10-1 and that win @ Temple is looking better every day.  They are running through some good teams--Va Tech, Penn State, Siena, Nova, lost by 1 at G'town...

You're welcome!

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
We'd be 10-1 and that win @ Temple is looking better every day.  They are running through some good teams--Va Tech, Penn State, Siena, Nova, lost by 1 at G'town...

You're welcome!

Good job outta Temple. That guard Fernandez lit up the Nova guards

Poison

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
Redstormhoopsfan, all I'm saying is that the team we played yesterday was the worst I've ever seen in all of my years watching games at alumni hall. And that's like 30.

I thought the students were fine yesterday. The We Are... SJU chant should be a given for every game. I've never heard it before.

It was the alumni that let the team down yesterday. 

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
if u guys can give me a name i can try to get it handled

The leader of redzone told me "facilities" told her that if we curse one more time, we were all gonna be kicked out and not allowed back in for any more games...public safety has backed off alot since last year, now this falls strictly with the st johns administration...when we went to west virginia for the mens soccer big east championship we werent even allowed to chant anything with "sucks" in it because we're "representing st johns"...is this just me being a college student or is that a little ridiculous?

did she really say "facilities," really? so the people that fix the air conditioners and unclog toilets told her to tell us to stop cursing.

what an idiot.

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »
Kev, last year we sold nearly 800 student season tickets lol...so many freshmen just sign up during orientation, their parents buy the tickets and they dont go. Alot of people dont even pick up their season tickets. I agree, I still have a feeling there's gonna be problems at MSG, but we'll see i guess

I don't know who gave you the grief last year, but last week the WHOLE uconn student section was standing the ENTIRE game against kentucky behind the basket. 

at msg, the people that have given me problems were the ushers. so its msg's people.

they seriously treat us like convicts.

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
With all the losses that occurred to top 35 teams and the fact that the win over Temple is now considered a top 20 team by RPI rating (with their win over Villanova), my prediction is that SJU should be ranked #23 this week.

The win over Fordham was not something in which to be proud.  A win is a win but our level of play was not impressive.  Booth, Horne, Cooker & Brownlee played well.  Evans and Hardy did not bring their A game.

I wish Coach Roberts would use these weak opponents to develop and gel our star talents.  Instead he is using these games to give the B squad playing experience.  We still have a lot of work to do on our defense and we need to develop a half court game.  Of paramount importance, we need to practice on shooting and free throws.  A better coach would have observed that our shooting game was off and called plays to move the ball inside to our bigs.  This would have been a perfect opportunity to put 3 bigs in the lineup as we certainly had a size advantage on Fordham.  Instead, Roberts puts 4 guards in for a good portion of the 2nd half.  We should have beaten this team by 40.   

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

UConn students were probably rocking a whole section 15 seats wide and 20 rows deep. St. John's student section isn't a section its 3 heads here, 8 heads there, another 2 over somewhere and grumpy old men and families in between who can't see the game.

I've been campaigning for years for the school to purchase a block of tickets instead of scattering students behind both baskets. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »
i dont know if it is traditional to have the student section behind the basket, but it would be awesome to have it front center court opposite of the benches.

it would at least make us look better on tv

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »
i dont know if it is traditional to have the student section behind the basket, but it would be awesome to have it front center court opposite of the benches.

it would at least make us look better on tv

Most schools have it behind the basket to influence second half defense and opposing free throws.  At CA the student sections are perfectly placed.  There are some schools that have it along the sideline though like Duke, Oregon State, Michigan to name a few.  And if we were opposite the benches like they used to be before the renovation, you can't see the students on TV because the cameras are behind that side.

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »
behind their bench would be really fun haha

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »

UConn students were probably rocking a whole section 15 seats wide and 20 rows deep. St. John's student section isn't a section its 3 heads here, 8 heads there, another 2 over somewhere and grumpy old men and families in between who can't see the game.

I've been campaigning for years for the school to purchase a block of tickets instead of scattering students behind both baskets.
More disturbing to me was the fact that our players had nowhere to sit after our game.Dj,Paris,and Sea sat behind me behind the basket and someone showed up in the seats they were sitting in and they got booted. ZI asked why Mr.Orange couldn't get them some seats. We have a2 bit administration.
Also yesterday was billed as a doulbleheader, the only problem was if you had tickets for the Men's game you were not allowed into the Women's game without a ticket for that game. Season tix holder for 35 years, i find this outrageous.