Tommy Amaker

• 58 replies

boo3

Tommy Amaker
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
  I brought this up last night during the game chat last night.  Curious as to what you guys think.  Is he ready for another job in a major conference?  Should he be considered as a possible replacement for Norm?   Not sure how it all went down at Michigan, but he can recruit and has done a good job at Harvard.  Thoughts?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Tommy Amaker
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
Those Michigan teams were consistently middle of the pack, and I think the talent at Michigan was middle of the pack and disgruntled.  Why him and not Steve Alford or some other second chance guy?

A couple of links:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2802320

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/187106/michigan_fires_head_coach_tommy_amaker.html?cat=14
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:14:01 AM by peter »

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »
I would take Amaker in a heartbeat. I think he is everything that norm is plus he succeeded at shu, did better than norm at mich, and his harvard team would prob beat this st johns team this year.

He's still on the young side but he's experienced and I think would be a great hire.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »
Norm was at Michigan? 

I don't remember his game coaching being all that great but you know, he might not be a bad choice.  But would he want to leave Harvard?  Next year he has a chance to go to a string of NCAA Tournaments, be the first (or second, depending on how Cornell does this year - I'm assuming they'll still win the Ivy) guy to get an NCAA tourney win with a Harvard team...

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
I would take Tommy Amaker in a heartbeat.

You would also take Tommy Hilfiger in a heartbeat :)

boo3

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »

I'd take Tommy Lee over this clown. ;D

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »

Yeah I'd take Norm wearing Tommy clothing...it'd be an upgrade.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:08 AM »
First of all the homeless guy that yells at passing cars in front of my subway would be a huge upgrade over Norm. HOWEVER I would prefer not to have Amaker, Dawkins or any of the seemingly endless supply of goofy white guys coach K currently employs as his assistants as our next coach.

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
First of all the homeless guy that yells at passing cars in front of my subway would be a huge upgrade over Norm. HOWEVER I would prefer not to have Amaker, Dawkins or any of the seemingly endless supply of goofy white guys coach K currently employs as his assistants as our next coach.

Johnny Dawkins is in his 2nd season as coach.  Capel has done pretty well.  Brey is a decent coach at ND.  Amaker has made a NCAA tourney before.  Snyder was good, until he was caught cheating.  What's your problem with duke assistants?  Have any of them failed as a head coach?

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »

Johnny Dawkins is in his 2nd season as coach.  Capel has done pretty well.  Brey is a decent coach at ND.  Amaker has made a NCAA tourney before.  Snyder was good, until he was caught cheating.  What's your problem with duke assistants?  Have any of them failed as a head coach?

I like Mike Brey as a coach and you are a good dude, but I generally hate anyone associated with Duke as a rule. Since Mike Brey and you are my two exceptions I simply can not make anymore and still keep I hate Duke as one of my rules. And as I am sure you know w/o rules their will be anarchy.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
I think we'd be happier with Brian Mahoney over Norm, because at least he could recruit.
That said, I'm not sure Amaker can handle the BE any better than Mahoney did.

I recall both had the top class in the nation and the best they could do was the NIT.

Amaker is doing very well at Harvard, and I think it's there he should stay.

I like this McCaffrey guy at Siena. Jim Baron at RI, and maybe, Mark Jackson.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
I'd rather have guys who have consistently won.  Knowing his track record, where would Amaker rank among coaches currently in the Biggeast?  He was average at two big conference schools.  Anyone is an upgrade over Norm, but i dont want to take a coach that will likely take us between 9-12th place in the conference.  I'd rather take a chance on a successful mid-major guy where there is high risk, high reward.  He may be terrible like Norm, average like Amaker, or may be great like Bruce Pearl.  I know Norm's original hire was similar to this but I'll take my chances again. 

on a side note...is there any chance in Hell that Frank Martin at Kansas State would leave there for NYC and STJ?  I highly doubt it happens, b/c we wont pay, but I know one thing he wont be at Kansas State for long.  He'll prob end up getting a big job at a good school with a lot more money to spend. 

Foad

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »
  I brought this up last night during the game chat last night.  Curious as to what you guys think.  Is he ready for another job in a major conference?  Should he be considered as a possible replacement for Norm?   Not sure how it all went down at Michigan, but he can recruit and has done a good job at Harvard.  Thoughts?

No PuKiEs need apply.

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
My college coaching buddy tells me you can't go wrong with Fran McCaffery, noting his attention to detail, recruiting skills and game strategy.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »

I like Mike Brey as a coach and you are a good dude, but I generally hate anyone associated with Duke as a rule. Since Mike Brey and you are my two exceptions I simply can not make anymore and still keep I hate Duke as one of my rules. And as I am sure you know w/o rules their will be anarchy.

I'm with you.  I only like two Pukies as well, the kid and Roshawn.  We don't need no stinkin Pukies coaching at St. Johns.  What next?  Dirty huskies in Queen's?

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »

I'm with you.  I only like two Pukies as well, the kid and Roshawn.  We don't need no stinkin Pukies coaching at St. Johns.  What next?  Dirty huskies in Queen's?

Both Tha Kid and Roshawn were Johnnies at heart anyways,

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
How about we clone Lapchick?

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »
Not a good fit. Amaker most def burn some bridges 'round here. Told a lotta peeps and parents he was stickin at the Hall and the next day he jet fo UM.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »
I'd rather have guys who have consistently won.  Knowing his track record, where would Amaker rank among coaches currently in the Biggeast?  He was average at two big conference schools.  Anyone is an upgrade over Norm, but i dont want to take a coach that will likely take us between 9-12th place in the conference.  I'd rather take a chance on a successful mid-major guy where there is high risk, high reward.  He may be terrible like Norm, average like Amaker, or may be great like Bruce Pearl.  I know Norm's original hire was similar to this but I'll take my chances again. 

on a side note...is there any chance in Hell that Frank Martin at Kansas State would leave there for NYC and STJ?  I highly doubt it happens, b/c we wont pay, but I know one thing he wont be at Kansas State for long.  He'll prob end up getting a big job at a good school with a lot more money to spend.

well...currently his salary is about the same as norms, but switching school he'd want more, how much more though?
i like that he does have a 42-5 home record, which is awesome, but can he rebuild us? he stepped into a pretty good head coaching job, with michael beasley on the team.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »

well...currently his salary is about the same as norms, but switching school he'd want more, how much more though?
i like that he does have a 42-5 home record, which is awesome, but can he rebuild us? he stepped into a pretty good head coaching job, with michael beasley on the team.
You'd have to pay Dalonte Hill, who makes 400+k to get him players from DC Assault.