Tommy Amaker

• 58 replies

Poison

Re: Tommy Amaker
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
Not a good fit. Amaker most def burn some bridges 'round here. Told a lotta peeps and parents he was stickin at the Hall and the next day he jet fo UM.

I bet he did exactly that, but all of the kids pull the same crap.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
I'd rather have guys who have consistently won.  Knowing his track record, where would Amaker rank among coaches currently in the Biggeast?  He was average at two big conference schools.  Anyone is an upgrade over Norm, but i dont want to take a coach that will likely take us between 9-12th place in the conference.  I'd rather take a chance on a successful mid-major guy where there is high risk, high reward.  He may be terrible like Norm, average like Amaker, or may be great like Bruce Pearl.  I know Norm's original hire was similar to this but I'll take my chances again. 

on a side note...is there any chance in Hell that Frank Martin at Kansas State would leave there for NYC and STJ?  I highly doubt it happens, b/c we wont pay, but I know one thing he wont be at Kansas State for long.  He'll prob end up getting a big job at a good school with a lot more money to spend.

well...currently his salary is about the same as norms, but switching school he'd want more, how much more though?
i like that he does have a 42-5 home record, which is awesome, but can he rebuild us? he stepped into a pretty good head coaching job, with michael beasley on the team.
You'd have to pay Dalonte Hill, who makes 400+k to get him players from DC Assault.

yeah....thats true. i didn't think of that.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Guys we hate Duke because they win. Amaker would be an improverment. I would alsobe all for bringing in either Wojo or Chris Collins. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
Personally I wouldn't really want wojo or collins bc they don't have head coaching experience. That said, both were smart players and are learning from the best so I'm sure they'd do better than norm.  Rumors that depaul might go after collins I hear...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
Rumors that depaul might go after collins I hear...
We'll see.
My cousin says that CC is definitely interested.

As for Amaker, he's still only 44 with 200+ D-I wins. He's better off waiting for a better fit for himself & his wife.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 11:41:04 PM »

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
Willard would be great to. Maybe get him and his dad to be an assistant.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »
willard and his dad would be great gets.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
willard and his dad would be great gets.
Is it because you feel anyone would be an upgrade over Roberts?
What have either of them done as a head coach that would make you believe that they were "great gets" for a Big East program? Just curious.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
Ralph was mediocre at... Pitt?  Was it Pitt?  But Kevin's doing a decent job bringing Iona up from a no-talent assclown of a team to one that's 9-1 in the MAAC.  He might be worth a look. 

Who do you think are the up and coming coaches, Not-Sleeveless?

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:06 PM »
Sadly at this point we need someone different. So anyone but Norm. Older Willard had good years at Holy Cross. I admit don't really remeber much about him from PITT. Younger Willard seems to be doing good job. I think he has ties to Calapari. Doesen't matter we need a change.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »
Sadly at this point we need someone different. So anyone but Norm. Older Willard had good years at Holy Cross. I admit don't really remeber much about him from PITT. Younger Willard seems to be doing good job. I think he has ties to Calapari. Doesen't matter we need a change.

Young Willard is a Pitino disciple

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
Cluess might be a good fit

attended STJ '78-'81

coached St. Mary�s High School in Manhasset, N.Y. (1991-05), where the Gaels went a remarkable 264-78 (.772) during his tenure

In 2006, his first year at the helm, Cluess guided the Pioneers to a 19-11 record and an appearance in the East Coast Conference Championships final.

2007-08 ...26-5 overall record, including an 18-2 clip in the conference. C.W. Post claimed its first regular season and conference titles since the 2003-04 season with a 60-57 win to advance to the NCAA Northeast Regional at Bentley College.

He was voted the East Coast Conference Coach of the Year by his peers, and was named the All-Met Division II Coach of the Year.

only issue is can he translate success on the BE level?

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
Maybe Roy Williams might like Queens?

LJSA

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 03:22:20 AM »
Maybe Roy Williams might like Queens?

Offer him $7.5 million for 10 years ... and he'll likely still turn it down, but at least it would get our name out there again and show that we mean business. Any billionaire alumni basketball fans out there?

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
Gaels are on MSG right now vs Canisius for those interested in seeing Willards style. IONA up 14, playing suffocating D using 11 players. This is hows its done people

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
  I brought this up last night during the game chat last night.  Curious as to what you guys think.  Is he ready for another job in a major conference?  Should he be considered as a possible replacement for Norm?   Not sure how it all went down at Michigan, but he can recruit and has done a good job at Harvard.  Thoughts?

Just to bring this back on topic did you see the beating that Cornell put on Harvard over the weekend, 86-50?  No Ivy League team has gotten within 25 of them yet.  I think that close loss to Kansas got them believing in themselves.  They're already ranked 25 in the ESPN/USA (first national ranking in 59 years) Today poll and 27th in the AP.  They're not going to lose another game until the dance and might climb as high as 15-20 in the polls.  I was sharing an update with my Mary Donlan Residence Hall crew and we're all having a laugh as the team was pretty awful when we were there.

So, Tommy Amaker, really???  I think Donahue is the Ivy Coach to look at.  He's taken a program that essentially didn't exist, improved it every year and will now have 3 consecutive league crowns and without athletic scholarships has attracted a few players some BE teams, cough cough, would love to have on their team.

Finally, when Cornell is 28-3 and ranked 20th in the country on selection Sunday what seed do you think they'll get?  They're an Ivy so I expect the shaft, somewhere between 7-9. 

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
I agree I like Donahue. I also suggested the Puke assistants. I like the Willards. What about the Siena coach. Not a big fan of Amaker or Cluless but they are acceptable. Basically anyone but the current staff. Tired of losing.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 09:57:41 PM »
Ralph was mediocre at... Pitt?  Was it Pitt?  But Kevin's doing a decent job bringing Iona up from a no-talent assclown of a team to one that's 9-1 in the MAAC.  He might be worth a look. 

Who do you think are the up and coming coaches, Not-Sleeveless?

Willard was Normesque at Pitt.

Even Brian Mahoney could beat him.

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »
Gaels are on MSG right now vs Canisius for those interested in seeing Willards style. IONA up 14, playing suffocating D using 11 players. This is hows its done people

I saw some.  They looked good.  I watched the Iona women's game before it.  The Iona coaches daughter plays on the same baskeball team with my daughter.

If they beat the Great Danes, they must be good.  :)