Gun to your head.......

• 64 replies

Marillac

Re: Gun to your head.......
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Fran McCaffrey.   

Let's just pray Siena doesn't do too well. They are 12-0 in conference and have won 13 straight.  It's amazing how good of a job McCaffrey has done with this team after starting off relatively poorly.

I would have to believe that Rossiter would follow him back to NYC.  He is a junior and will be the default starting center after he sits a year and we lose our entire roster.  I wouldn't be surprised in that freshman forward from S.I. they have follows either.

Both Rossitter and Anosike would get owned on a nightly basis in the Big East. Anosike barely plays,Rossitter is good and played great against some good competition-but I dont think he could hang in a full Big East season. I dont think Fran wants this job, I think he wants Mike Brey's job but if he did take the St Johns job-the only player I think he would bring with him is Basabe.

And btw I think Norm will be the coach next year

Why do you assume Brey's job is gone?  I haven't heard that at all. Even it is was, what connections does McCaffrey have to Notre Dame?  He is an East Coast guy.  Just because he's Irish he is waiting for Notre Dame? C'mon.

I don't think Rossiter will star, but he would be a fifth year senior with some much skill it is ridiculous. He'd also have three NCAA tournament runs and three conference runs under his belt with a year sitting and practicing in the Big East.

We would be beyond desperate for a big after we lose Evans, JB1, JB2, Kennedy, Coker, and Rob Thomas.  He could come back to NYC and get 30 mins+. 

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:30 PM »
I find this Tim Welsh and Kevin Willard tak hysterical.

Welsh?  Since when do we take Providence's trash?  The guy was run out of town there just like Norm here.  It was three years in the making. They HATED him there.  Why take him, when he has already failed somewhere.

What has Willard done?  Please.

McCaffrey has three tournament runs after this year.  The wins. He has never failed or been fired.  Does that mean anything to anyone?

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »

Welsh?  Since when do we take Providence's trash?  The guy was run out of town there just like Norm here.  It was three years in the making. They HATED him there.  Why take him, when he has already failed somewhere.

McCaffrey has three tournament runs after this year.  The wins. He has never failed or been fired.  Does that mean anything to anyone?

Please!  I'd be ticked, if Welsh ended up, as the next coach at St. John's.

Willard would be one of the last choices.  My choices are McCaffrey, Brian Gregory, Brad Stevens and Steve Donahue.

Foad

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
what connections does McCaffrey have to Notre Dame?

Huh? He was an assistant at ND for 10 years. His wife was an assistant coach there and she played women's BB there. They met and fell in love there.

What connection does he have to SJU?

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Fran McCaffrey.   

Let's just pray Siena doesn't do too well. They are 12-0 in conference and have won 13 straight.  It's amazing how good of a job McCaffrey has done with this team after starting off relatively poorly.

I would have to believe that Rossiter would follow him back to NYC.  He is a junior and will be the default starting center after he sits a year and we lose our entire roster.  I wouldn't be surprised in that freshman forward from S.I. they have follows either.

Both Rossitter and Anosike would get owned on a nightly basis in the Big East. Anosike barely plays,Rossitter is good and played great against some good competition-but I dont think he could hang in a full Big East season. I dont think Fran wants this job, I think he wants Mike Brey's job but if he did take the St Johns job-the only player I think he would bring with him is Basabe.

And btw I think Norm will be the coach next year

Why do you assume Brey's job is gone?  I haven't heard that at all. Even it is was, what connections does McCaffrey have to Notre Dame?  He is an East Coast guy.  Just because he's Irish he is waiting for Notre Dame? C'mon.

I don't think Rossiter will star, but he would be a fifth year senior with some much skill it is ridiculous. He'd also have three NCAA tournament runs and three conference runs under his belt with a year sitting and practicing in the Big East.

We would be beyond desperate for a big after we lose Evans, JB1, JB2, Kennedy, Coker, and Rob Thomas.  He could come back to NYC and get 30 mins+.

McCaffrey was an assistant under Digger Phelps and John McCleod. He brought in Pat Garrity and Troy Murphy. PWNED

Wods317

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:14 PM »
Jim Baron. They will want an established coach with NY background.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
what connections does McCaffrey have to Notre Dame?

Huh? He was an assistant at ND for 10 years. His wife was an assistant coach there and she played women's BB there. They met and fell in love there.

What connection does he have to SJU?

LOL Well, I stand corrected.  I thought he was a lifetime Philly guy for some reason. 

That ND job still isn't opening up, though, and he'd be a FOOL to wait around after he loses four starters this year.  His stock will never be higher than it is right now.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »
Jim Baron. They will want an established coach with NY background.

the last two coached didn't fit that bill.
It makes sense for them to look for that, but they won't.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

As a hysterical one  :D, I have to say this thread is about prediction, not who people think would be the best coach within reasonable parameters. 

Willard hasn't done much but you expect a coach who has done a lot?  That coach goes off to a school with bigger pockets.  And Willard's team is rolling through the MAAC right now, except for Siena.  he built a talent-bereft team into a contender in 3 years, picked up a great passer in recruiting, and has an excellent MAAC big man.  He'd be a "local" guy, with "pedigree" (Pitino) - the school can sell this guy as a young coach with real new direction, the way they couldn't with Baron or Welsh.

With Welsh, I just feel like he's been freely commenting on coaching in the Big East in articles and on SNY.  That might be his personality and his job, but I wonder if he's positioning himself to be a name for some of the job openings.  He recruited NY ok, found some diamond in the rough players, and can coach offense.   And he competed (yes, lost a bit, but his mediocrity was better than what St. John's has) in the league at what might be the least appealing school in the conference - Providence has no real local talent pool, less history than a lot of the competition, small city... a lot of coaches turned down the job, and maybe there's a reason they did.  It might be considered a "hard to win" place. 

Additionally: St. John's might be considered hard to win at as well.  If so, Gregory and Brad Stevens (why would he come east? Unless the money is strong that makes little sense) will pass and leave St. John's holding a bag of Welsh.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 03:24:03 PM »
Welsh was FIRED.  He was hated for years at Providence.  Why would we take a man that was fired?

McCaffrey has won.  His style of play appeals to NY kids. He can win kids over because he can show that he both won and developed talent.  Hasbrouck was the last player cut by the Heat this year and wills surely make a roster or two in the NBA over the next few years. 

Foad

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »
That ND job still isn't opening up, though, and he'd be a FOOL to wait around after he loses four starters this year.  His stock will never be higher than it is right now.

“There are very few jobs I’d consider leaving here for,” McCaffery said. “I couldn’t be happier with the present situation, with the administration, with the support I get from (D’Argenio), Father Kevin (Mullin), the team I have. It would be a very, very rare situation that I would even think about it.”

"I look at it and say, 'Would I leave for money?' A lot of times money motivates that decision," McCaffery said. "I could have gotten more money last year and turned down jobs that in the past would have paid me more. But I love the people here, the athletic director and the administration. They pay me well. I'm not a millionaire, but I can live a comfortable lifestyle and I'm not opposed to a long-term thing here."

"If you think about it, the landscape has changed, and 15 years ago, what was a Big East job is not what it is now," McCaffery said.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
Link to the quote Foad posted: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3614256

Marillac, don't pop a vein.  I'm just saying what I think is most possible.  But that's given the info I have now.  If St. John's was throwing 2-mill out there it'd be different.  But McCaffery's name wasn't in the final list of candidates for any jobs; he wasn't even interviewed.  A hot mid-major coach with tournament wins doesn't interview anywhere?  That sounds like a guy who might just enjoy where he is.

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
Pecora
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
I have a contact that is pretty well connected to Siena.....and they are very worried that Fran will jump ship this year.  Particularly, if the Rutgers or St John's jobs open up!!  Not that a mid-major coach jumping to a major conference is ground breaking news...but thought I would share!!

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
I will refuse to believe norm will be gone until their is a press conference for the next head coach in town. If he still hasnt been canned yet, what makes you think a loss to rutgers is gonna do. The amn is bulletproof until its proven otherwise.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Norm Roberts

Sending Lambs To Lions
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 12:42:09 AM »
Kevin Willard.  I think.  But we have to hear what they say when they fire Norm - what they emphasize.  It could be Tim Welsh as well.
In speaking with a 2 fellow fans today, Welsh's name came up with both of them..

Has there ever been a Big East coach that was fired from one school school and hired by another..?
Man, it would be disappointing, if we're trying to compete against Hall of Fame coaches with Tim Welsh or a novice head coach. After going with a cheap coach for the past six years, you'd hope they could step up from the Mom & Pop days. They might as well make a run at Al Skinner, Mike Brey or Seth Greenberg.Between the cost of living, the reclamation project of a program (a certainty with Roberts' attempt to set an NCAA record for mediocre juniors), the below-average on-campus "arena," etc., they're going to have to pay up to compete against the big-time programs for recruits. Other programs have stepped up the arms race (look at the Carmelo Anthony Center in Syracuse) and they're thrilled with Taffner and Norm Roberts. What prospect in their right mind would pick Welsh or Willard over Calhoun, Boeheim, Thompson, Wright, Dixon, Pitino, Huggins and that's just limiting it to one conference?
If they're only going to pay 7-800k in NYC (albeit Queens), they're going to wind up with has been coaches and novices using it as a stepping stone.

Re: Sending Lambs To Lions
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:08 AM »
Kevin Willard.  I think.  But we have to hear what they say when they fire Norm - what they emphasize.  It could be Tim Welsh as well.
In speaking with a 2 fellow fans today, Welsh's name came up with both of them..

Has there ever been a Big East coach that was fired from one school school and hired by another..?
Man, it would be disappointing, if we're trying to compete against Hall of Fame coaches with Tim Welsh or a novice head coach. After going with a cheap coach for the past six years, you'd hope they could step up from the Mom & Pop days. They might as well make a run at Al Skinner, Mike Brey or Seth Greenberg.Between the cost of living, the reclamation project of a program (a certainty with Roberts' attempt to set an NCAA record for mediocre juniors), the below-average on-campus "arena," etc., they're going to have to pay up to compete against the big-time programs for recruits. Other programs have stepped up the arms race (look at the Carmelo Anthony Center in Syracuse) and they're thrilled with Taffner and Norm Roberts. What prospect in their right mind would pick Welsh or Willard over Calhoun, Boeheim, Thompson, Wright, Dixon, Pitino, Huggins and that's just limiting it to one conference?
If they're only going to pay 7-800k in NYC (albeit Queens), they're going to wind up with has been coaches and novices using it as a stepping stone.

We need to start paying players like the above mentioned Hall of Famer$

kob24

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 02:37:30 AM »
i agree with marco

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »
I have a contact that is pretty well connected to Siena.....and they are very worried that Fran will jump ship this year.  Particularly, if the Rutgers or St John's jobs open up!!  Not that a mid-major coach jumping to a major conference is ground breaking news...but thought I would share!!

Tell that particular contact that the Johnny brethren would love for McCaffery to come to Queens.