Gun to your head.......

• 64 replies

Poison

Re: Gun to your head.......
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 09:30:18 AM »
Seth Greenberg would be incredible.

I doubt he'd come here.
I watched the Seton Hall Va Tech game and I was thoroughly impressed with how fast Tech moves the ball around.

AND without Malcom Delaney, their only All ACC caliber player.

Even in a down year, Tech competes.

Now that I think about it, of the names I've seen listed on this site, I like him best.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
Just asking - why would Greenberg move up to NYC to rebuild a team?  He's in the middle of the ACC every year, and works at a state school with football (so there's probably more money for upgrades and the like). 

mkras99

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
Just asking - why would Greenberg move up to NYC to rebuild a team?  He's in the middle of the ACC every year, and works at a state school with football (so there's probably more money for upgrades and the like).

He's from Long Island (so maybe he grew up as a St. John's fan), Va. Tech will generally never be better than a middle-of-the-pack ACC team, Va. Tech folks don't really care about college basketball (my old roommate for four years is a Va. Tech alum) are some reasons.  But we'd have to offer up some $$$.

Poison

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »
I think Va Tech is the second best team behind Duke in the ACC.
But then again, I think the A10 is better than the ACC this year.

I see 3 teams dancing. Duke, Va Tech and FSU. Maybe Maryland.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »
Va. Tech will generally never be better than a middle-of-the-pack ACC team.

Middle of the pack as opposed to perennial BE contender SJU you mean?

If SG can't beat 2 measly HOF coaches in the ACC, how's he going to deal with the half dozen in the BE?

mkras99

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »

If SG can't beat 2 measly HOF coaches in the ACC, how's he going to deal with the half dozen in the BE?

My point being that St. John's has a higher upside than Va. Tech, but maybe I'm wrong.

Foad

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:51 AM »

My point being that St. John's has a higher upside than Va. Tech, but maybe I'm wrong.

I see little to no upside. The more I think about it the more I think we're heading for the A 10.

mkras99

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
I hope you're wrong, but I guess it would be fun (no pun intended) to find another team for which to root if STJ moves to the A-10.

Foad

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »
I hope you're wrong, but I guess it would be fun (no pun intended) to find another team for which to root if STJ moves to the A-10.

I dunno, we'd be a kick ass A10 team. An easy 20 wins a year against mid majors, it'd be like Louie risen from the grave. If he were dead obviously.

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 11:48:34 AM »

I dunno, we'd be a kick ass A10 team. An easy 20 wins a year against mid majors, it'd be like Louie risen from the grave. If he were dead obviously.

Assuming we have a new coach right? Norm has already proven he could lose just as well on lower levels. I would have no problem btw getting a solid mid major coach, getting second tier talent and winning 20 in the A-10. Sign me up for that.

Foad

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

Assuming we have a new coach right? Norm has already proven he could lose just as well on lower levels. I would have no problem btw getting a solid mid major coach, getting second tier talent and winning 20 in the A-10. Sign me up for that.

I think Norm could win with this team in the A10 and that he could be competitive in a non football BE (Providence, S Hall, etc.) It wouldn't be pretty, but even he's probably not that incompetent.

kob24

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »
foad u make a very good point. i dont think they will move them to the a10 because the outcry would be crazy. someone would whoop harringtons ass if that happened.  i thought to my self if this team was in the a10 or caa would they win. its crazy i think they would but they wouldnt dominate. coach hasnt shown me at anytime in his 6 years that he has a killer instinct to him. i think this team would play down to its competion.but i think the recruiting would be easier for him. new york has talent but the majority of the talent is a10 level. the top 10 of new york city kids are high major players but 11- 30 are a combination between a-10, caa, and maac players.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
Kob, the outcry from who? 45 people? Half of which have already cancelled their tickets.

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »

He's from Long Island (so maybe he grew up as a St. John's fan), Va. Tech will generally never be better than a middle-of-the-pack ACC team, Va. Tech folks don't really care about college basketball (my old roommate for four years is a Va. Tech alum) are some reasons.  But we'd have to offer up some $$$.

Add to that: 'Perhaps he's fond of bagels, pizza and knishes.  Maybe he's a big fan of broadway musicals. Or he could be inspired by the words written on the base of the Statue of Liberty which he likes to visit frequently.'  He might be a Yankee fan who really likes the new stadium?

Point being, the reasons for wanting to come to the nation's greatest city are endless.  Drawing quality coaches and players here is certainly not out of the realm.

P.S. We are not going to the A10 as the BE will not kick out charter member and BE tournament host St. John's University.

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »

I think Norm could win with this team in the A10 and that he could be competitive in a non football BE (Providence, S Hall, etc.) It wouldn't be pretty, but even he's probably not that incompetent.

He is 1-3 against non football teams in the BE :)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
new york has talent but the majority of the talent is a10 level. the top 10 of new york city kids are high major players but 11- 30 are a combination between a-10, caa, and maac players.
True. I don't think enough people see this.  Though there is a lot of BE talent in Jersey.

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
I think Va Tech is the second best team behind Duke in the ACC.
But then again, I think the A10 is better than the ACC this year.

I see 3 teams dancing. Duke, Va Tech and FSU. Maybe Maryland.
Please...Wake and Georgia Tech are in the top 25 of the RPI and Clemson is in the mid-30s. Of the twelve teams, the ACC is realistically getting at least six teams in this year.

Va Tech's RPI is 70 because they played a very weak schedule.

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »

HoopScoop yesterday

Our New York City Editor Ron Naclerio tells us that another former NBA star (Mark Jackson) has his eye on getting into college coaching and he potentially could do the same thing for St. John's, if the posse finally catches up to Norm Roberts, that we expect Thomas to do at DePaul.  I also love the rumor about the legendary Bob Knight getting the Rutgers job, if Fred Hill doesn't turn things around in a hurry.  And what would you think if I told you that Kevin Boyle, who is head coach at St. Patrick High School in Elizabeth, NJ, will become Knight's top assistant with the understanding that Boyle will be the heir apparent when Knight retires in three or four years?  Another good name for both Rutgers and St. John's is Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg, who not only is a New York City guy, but also has felt the effects of budget cuts at his current school.  Maybe this explains why Greenberg's name also is one of the names we're hearing, along with Texas A&M head coach Mark Turgeon, Georgia Tech head coach Paul Hewitt, and Gonzaga head coach Mark Few, for the University of Oregon job.  However, before you start to write the coaching obituary of Ducks boss Ernie Kent, it's important to remember that this guy has nine lives (he's been rumored to be getting fired for years).  And to illustrate our point even further, Oregon halted a five-game skid with wins over the weekend against UCLA and USC.

mkras99

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »

HoopScoop yesterday

Our New York City Editor Ron Naclerio tells us that another former NBA star (Mark Jackson) has his eye on getting into college coaching and he potentially could do the same thing for St. John's, if the posse finally catches up to Norm Roberts, that we expect Thomas to do at DePaul.  I also love the rumor about the legendary Bob Knight getting the Rutgers job, if Fred Hill doesn't turn things around in a hurry.  And what would you think if I told you that Kevin Boyle, who is head coach at St. Patrick High School in Elizabeth, NJ, will become Knight's top assistant with the understanding that Boyle will be the heir apparent when Knight retires in three or four years?  Another good name for both Rutgers and St. John's is Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg, who not only is a New York City guy, but also has felt the effects of budget cuts at his current school.  Maybe this explains why Greenberg's name also is one of the names we're hearing, along with Texas A&M head coach Mark Turgeon, Georgia Tech head coach Paul Hewitt, and Gonzaga head coach Mark Few, for the University of Oregon job.  However, before you start to write the coaching obituary of Ducks boss Ernie Kent, it's important to remember that this guy has nine lives (he's been rumored to be getting fired for years).  And to illustrate our point even further, Oregon halted a five-game skid with wins over the weekend against UCLA and USC.

Is CITD posting something a good or bad thing in terms of the odds of it actually happening...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:10:07 PM by mkras99 »

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »

HoopScoop yesterday

Is CITD posting something a good or bad thing in terms of the odds of it actually happening...
;) I'm not sure, but I would think he's more accurate with player matriculation predictions than coaching moves.