Mark Jackson

• 56 replies
Re: Mark Jackson
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
If Jackson for some reason does get the job and fails, it would put a tremendous strain on his legacy and relationship with the administration,school and fans. This happenned recently at IONA with the best player to ever play at the school, Jeff Ruland. Things ended bad and they parted not on good terms

I saw Ruland at my brother's high school game a month ago.

Scary lookin dude right

kob24

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
look i dont think norm is gone but do u think mark jackson is a huge name to doron lamb or to tobias? im 27 and no disrespect to that man but he isnt jordan.  u know what i take that back he is on the nba and he does have a catch phrase "momma there goes that man" so hell u never know. but thats not a good reason to hire him. maybe as a assistant or some new title

mkras99

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »
Kob - you think Norm will get another year?

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »
No coaching experience in the BE? Will not fly. He has asst coach written all over him.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »
look i dont think norm is gone but do u think mark jackson is a huge name to doron lamb or to tobias? im 27 and no disrespect to that man but he isnt jordan.  u know what i take that back he is on the nba and he does have a catch phrase "momma there goes that man" so hell u never know. but thats not a good reason to hire him. maybe as a assistant or some new title
[/quote

"momma there goes that man" haha i love it when he says that.

i think jackson potential is high and he could get a lot of advice from smart people, but its to big a risk in our position
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kob24

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
yes i do

Wods317

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »
I think he would be an improvement over Norm but hed be far from my first choice. If he would accept an assitant coaches position I would love to have him. I would much rather have Willard, McCaffrey, etc.

mkras99

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »
yes i do

For your players' sakes, hopefully you're wrong.

boo3

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
yes i do

stop smoking that stuff :D

sjd8886

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
why do all you guys think jackson would take an assistant coaching job in college...he might in the pros, but in college?

LJSA

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:56 PM »
Jackson is on record as saying he'd never take an assistant job. Don't ask for the source -- can't tell you, but I remember the gist of the quote vividly. It was from a newspaper -- I'm guessing the Post, Daily News, or Newsday.

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »
i dont know he never coached before. u cant just say hey i want to coach. thats crazy. at least mullin nows how to run a team mark never has. yall may laugh but give both norm and mark the same team and i think norm beats him by 40
you're right..we're all going to laugh.  at least i will.  norm has been a proven loser his whole career.  jax is a proven winner.
 he was coached by the likes of rick pitino...pat riley, etc.  he had to absorb something.  he was an okay high school point guard who worked himself into being the number two assist leader in the nba.  he had no experience when he took a broadcast analyst job..and now he's one of the top guys.  jax is a winner.  period.

he may not give the aau guys their due...and that could be a problem since most players go through the aau these days...but let's face it.  we haven't been getting squat with norm in there, either.

just don't say norm beats jax by 40...i almost had to change my diaper when i read that.

gonzalo

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 02:01:32 AM »

i dont know he never coached before. u cant just say hey i want to coach. thats crazy. at least mullin nows how to run a team mark never has. yall may laugh but give both norm and mark the same team and i think norm beats him by 40
you're right..we're all going to laugh.  at least i will.  norm has been a proven loser his whole career.  jax is a proven winner.
 he was coached by the likes of rick pitino...pat riley, etc.  he had to absorb something.  he was an okay high school point guard who worked himself into being the number two assist leader in the nba.  he had no experience when he took a broadcast analyst job..and now he's one of the top guys.  jax is a winner.  period.

he may not give the aau guys their due...and that could be a problem since most players go through the aau these days...but let's face it.  we haven't been getting squat with norm in there, either.

just don't say norm beats jax by 40...i almost had to change my diaper when i read that.

You are right that Jackson is winner.

But Isiah Thomas is a winner too. He was coached by Bobby Knight and Chuck Daly. And he is not a good coach.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:04:03 AM by peter »

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:23 AM »
isiah was a superstar athlete...an nba all time top 50.  jackson had to work hard to excel.

it's like comparing mickey mantle to billy martin.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 09:16:04 AM »
The guys on loud mouths particularly Carlin said they have heard that the admin is still trying to figure out if Norm should be fired. They both agreed that this is ridiculous and that Norm has been awful.

Personally I think the team should hire a solid game coach from a mid major. I don't think you can afford to take a chance on an unproven coach. With that being said it is absolutely ridiculous to claim Norm is a better coach than Mark Jackson. Jackson was an extremely smart basketball player and experience or not would be an upgrade. But then anyone outside of Fred Hill would be an upgrade.Think about how often Norm brings up his pathetic basketball career. He played with Mase in HS, played at Queens College, yadda yadda yadda. People on this board have had the same type career. Jackson was an NBA all star and is in the top 5 in assists ALL TIME. He demands way more respect than the third rate basketball player and 10th rate coach we currently have.

One more point for all of you guys who keep saying what a great guy Norm is well supposedly Jackson is too! Besides being very religious, in the Gold club scandal back in the day it came out Jackson was the only Knick that refused free sex with strippers becuase he wouldn't cheat on his wife.

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
 :D Yeah risky but possibility of BIG upside Reward. Mark is only candidate who I believe could poosibly turn this around in 2 years.

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
Dont think some y'all know the mindset of a teenage baller. Man, they livin in the present mo than ever. The past is yesterday. History is sometin that happen back when they was 12.  Kobe is ancient. LeBron is old, played out. John Wall is it.

Most of these ballers wudn't even born when Mark was in his prime. They may have a lil recollection of when he was the chubby brother on the Jazz, but thats it. And they dont get up just cause they is an announcer. (Ever watch an NBA game wit a bunch of teenage ballers? I can assure y'all they aint listenin to the announcers).

I love Jax. Best passer I ever seen. One of the best brothers I ever met.

But if y'all think he come in and the McD's AA start lining up just cause of the name, y'all is in for disappointment.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
What Choz said.  Please get this Mark Jackson is "proven" and "can recruit" thing out of your head.  And tell those other boards too.  It's a bad, bad, bad idea.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »
havent you heard of players like lance stephenson or others say this coach could get me to the next level...mark jackson played on that next level...he has a clue of what to do

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
havent you heard of players like lance stephenson or others say this coach could get me to the next level...mark jackson played on that next level...he has a clue of what to do
Mark Jackson has never gotten a player to the next level.  Experience does not equal ability to teach.