Hewitt

• 107 replies

kob24

Re: Hewitt
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:16 AM »
hewitts offfense is disgusting

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »
choz no doubt he gets a few mcdaa...but maybe Duke, UNC dont deal with handlers...just like mark few doesnt...less competition then u would think..
come on SJ....you're tellin' me the entire country isn't all over Derrick Favors?  you tellin' me the SEC isn't battling with him to get top players from the South?

You have a distorted sense of reality sometimes.
Favors was actually an unusual case.
He was a shy kid, who wanted to stay in Georgia. He made it clear, through his AAU coach, that he wanted to be close to his mother and friends. It was only a question of whether he would go to Athens or stay in a better area of Atlanta for his year of college. He never wanted the recruiting circus that some kids think they'll enjoy.

I'm not trying to argue on the other guy's behalf.

Didn't take it as such - thanks for the info.

That said, NTSG, do you thinK Hewitt is landing top players mainly bc - as SJ says - Duke and UNC won't play certain games - or do you think Hewitt prob has to beat out a lot of SEC teams for his recruits?

I like your point re: academic standards.  That won't help his coaching, but it MIGHT help provide continuity as you said.
Hewitt very rarely goes head-to-head against North Carolina (Shumpert, Howard) or Duke (Irving, Boynton). As an example, Shumpert's dad told my cousin that the five things Hewitt tried to sell his son on were the ACC (some kids like the conference, exposure, and the open-court style of play), the opportunity to play point guard (which several other schools weren't willing to promise), Atlanta, playing time, and the value of the degree. Jason Morris, who is his only 2010 signee, played for the Gauchos last year. Although he spent his high school years at Hotchkiss in CT, Hewitt sold him on the idea of coming home (Augusta) and playing in the ACC. Irving and Morris both said he did a good job of selling their fathers. If you've noticed, he tends to try to go after kids that are looking at Big East and SEC schools (it's a strategy that helps to differentiate him).

mkras99

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »

More or less disgusting than Norm's?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »

In a lot of ways, I'd say worse.  With high-end talent, sometimes his guards can't find their big men.  Their guards, in trying to play a helter-skelter/ fast-paced style, turn the ball over a ton.

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
As we know, the Georgia Tech fans are unhappy with Hewitt.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=140&f=2938&t=5766764

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42673

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42646

I can't blame them at all. Unless he can land another Jarrett Jack, his stagnating offense has a tendency to make you lose your mind and his substitution patterns are a running joke. That said, if the best Monasch can do for that alleged amount of money is Hewitt or Pecora, I'll take Hewitt. If they can get that kind of money together, it's hard to believe that Monasch couldn't find better candidates.

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
I've often thought of Hewitt as Norm 2.0
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »
I was ok with Hewitt, but now I really dont want him.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »
Ugh  >:( All of these guys seem to be really flawed. I'm getting less and less enthusiastic with every day that passes and we have more time to talk about these guys and realize none of them are that great.

Are there any really good options that perhaps we're just not thinking of? This sucks.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
It's weird, though - he was a good coach at Siena (that was the first time I'd even heard of that school, myself), but with Georgia Tech, it's incredible how he can get these players and play often middling defense, combined with some of the crappiest shot selection per player out there.  And scads of turnovers.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »

He made it further than Louie ever did.

Tha Kid

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »

I don't think Microsoft makes such drastic improvements from 1 version to the next...let's call him Norm 10,0000000.0
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
Georgia Tech has granted Monasch permission to talk to Hewitt

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/03/23/tech-grants-permission-st-johns-can-speak-with-hewitt/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Georgia Tech athletics director Dan Radakovich has given St. John’s permission to speak with Paul Hewitt about its coaching vacancy. The request from Red Storm athletics director Chris Monasch was received at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday, according to Wayne Hogan, Tech’s associate AD for communications.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:29:34 PM by STJ11Redmen »

Foad

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
Georgia Tech has granted Monasch Permission to talk to Hewitt

Well played, Georgia Tech.

xhoops

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »

In a lot of ways, I'd say worse.  With high-end talent, sometimes his guards can't find their big men.  Their guards, in trying to play a helter-skelter/ fast-paced style, turn the ball over a ton.
Been there done that PETER.......cross him off please.......the players need a DISCIPLINED OFFENSE.......no more helter skelter selfish ball please.

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
Looks like a done deal... GT essentially waiving buyout and not standing in the way of him leaving..almost as if they are pushing him out...

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
Okay...i'm honestly worried now. Why in God's name would GT grant permisson so fast and not even attempt to keep Hewitt by waiving his buyout??? You would think a recruiting machine would be something that GT would want to keep. Quick somebody call Pecora!!!  8)

sjd8886

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
while ive said before i think hewitt is a great fallback option, i would be disappointed if he became our second option...the school doesnt want him anymore, the fans are literally praying that we will come get him from them and end their misery...i think hes a better fit here and would have much more success in wins and losses at st johns but still, if we got money to spend, theres no reason why we shouldnt be going after a few more guys in between donovan and him, if donovan eventually turns us down publicly

Foad

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
Okay...i'm honestly worried now. Why in God's name would GT grant permisson so fast and not even attempt to keep Hewitt by waiving his buyout??? You would think a recruiting machine would be something that GT would want to keep.
They want out of his enormous contract, which was negotiated by the former AD. They can't fire him because the buy-out's prohibitive. He's underachieved since the Final Four and they'd just as soon start afresh.

Quick somebody call Pecora!!!  8)
Uh, no. Pecora is a mediocrity. Hewitt at least brings some juice.

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
it does seem weird that GT is letting him walk being that he has been able to put together teams that can compete with Duke & UNC at times.I was actually more intrigued by Al Skinner, he is one of my favorite coaches in the NCAA.I also like E.Kent who is now available
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
Get er done Tanman and vitamin water guy.

Bring Paul Hewitt back home!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:07:17 PM by carmineabbatiello »