Mike Perez Commits

• 71 replies
Re: Mike Perez Commits
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
"offer" has nothing to do with transcript

I have no idea what's going on...but one of the stories mentioned that he had to send in his transcript for review.  Possible academic issues?  I just figured it was a possible conditional offer based on review of his academic record therefore it has not been formally finalized.  He and his father sure seem to think its a done deal though. 

Sounds like the first misstep in the Lavin era.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
I just would love someone to clear up the fact how this kid has had 0 interest from anyone in this country and somehow got an offer from us.

Moose

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
I just would love someone to clear up the fact how this kid has had 0 interest from anyone in this country and somehow got an offer from us.

Academics maybe?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
In Lavin we TRUST......welcome aboard Mike!

Tha Kid

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

I have no idea what's going on...but one of the stories mentioned that he had to send in his transcript for review.  Possible academic issues?  I just figured it was a possible conditional offer based on review of his academic record therefore it has not been formally finalized.  He and his father sure seem to think its a done deal though. 

Regardless of what happens, how could this be a misstep?  He was hired in April.  Unrealistic expectations.  It's a body to fill our squad, AND might help us get a better player next year.  Who cares?
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »

Regardless of what happens, how could this be a misstep?  He was hired in April.  Unrealistic expectations.  It's a body to fill our squad, AND might help us get a better player next year.  Who cares?

Exactly.
Am I a little perplexed?  Sure.  But this is Steve Lavin here a proven commodity, not Norm Roberts.  If he was the first scholarship for 2011 then yes I would be worried.  We NEEDED to use another ship this year.  We needed another returning player for the 11-12 season.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
Good points, Moose, Kid.  Maybe this is a guy who can develop nicely with Rico Hines training.  To be honest, I thought TyShwan could have been better with some weight and some training (and confidence).  At worst, this is a guy who provides depth and maybe some basketball IQ if/ when the team trots out 5 freshmen at times in 2011.

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
I hate to sounds pessimistic but Liam Biesty averaged the same ppg in high school and Ty Edmondson won a dunk contest or two in high school. I'm trying to dig up as much as I can and relay the information to you guys. I do believe there may be some concern over his eligibility which is why he wasn't heavily recruited but I think if he was that good he'd still have more coaches knocking on his door.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:26 PM »
I hate to sounds pessimistic but Liam Biesty averaged the same ppg in high school and Ty Edmondson won a dunk contest or two in high school. I'm trying to dig up as much as I can and relay the information to you guys. I do believe there may be some concern over his eligibility which is why he wasn't heavily recruited but I think if he was that good he'd still have more coaches knocking on his door.

what scares me is he was on the same team with Jahii Carson...so there were def coaches in the house seeing him play...and no offers?, literally not one D1 offer?  maybe some of you guys are right and this is just a move to make someone happy and open another recruiting pipeline

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
Biesty put up 29 points/ game?!

I think this could play into a narrative about Steve's evaluation of non-elite talent, BUT consider that this guy is probably not recruited to be the PG of the future or the C/F of the future, Dave.  He might be a solid player.  he might be a bench player in the areas where there will already be 3 signed recruits (Polee at SF, Q. Roberts at SG/SF and Stith at PG).  To be honest, 6'1-6'4 backcourt players pop up all over the place, they're replaceable if they suck.  But maybe Lavin and/ or one of his assistants saw something nice in the kid.  I'm not burying him with pessimism yet.

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
I wonder if we could of got this kid by giving him a grant or some kind of financial aid?  Why waste a scholarship on him?  I know we have a lot but so what. We can carry this ship over if their is no one available and use it next year or the year after.   This staff was supposed to come in and make an impact right away.  Polee was a great sign and believed that Remi was next even though he will not qualify but I just do not see the point of this kid.   I saw someone say we need bodies going into 2011, but what good is a body if they do not see the floor?

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »

what scares me is he was on the same team with Jahii Carson...so there were def coaches in the house seeing him play...and no offers?, literally not one D1 offer?  maybe some of you guys are right and this is just a move to make someone happy and open another recruiting pipeline

It has to be. Compton Magic has and had plenty of talent. They were on a 30 game winning streak this spring, until they lost last week in the Adidas Invitational. As my man said, this kid had low to mid-major talent (which I think he threw in as the upside to make it more palatable) in May. Lavin may have been out of the game for a few years, but, if it was any other program, my gut instinct would tell me that a deal was cut to get somebody else. Hopefully, the player they get in the package is worthwhile and in the near future we won't need to do any packages.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »
Biesty put up 29 points/ game?!

I think this could play into a narrative about Steve's evaluation of non-elite talent, BUT consider that this guy is probably not recruited to be the PG of the future or the C/F of the future, Dave.  He might be a solid player.  he might be a bench player in the areas where there will already be 3 signed recruits (Polee at SF, Q. Roberts at SG/SF and Stith at PG).  To be honest, 6'1-6'4 backcourt players pop up all over the place, they're replaceable if they suck.  But maybe Lavin and/ or one of his assistants saw something nice in the kid.  I'm not burying him with pessimism yet.

He put up 27 :) close enough though.

I guess I'm not pessimistic but rather cautious. Quincy Roberts came in a scholarship where we could give it to a guy who could develop off the bench but this is a scholarship we're gonna need to contribute next year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »
Lets keep things in perspective.

He is the 13th member of the team.

Sure a lot of complaining for the last guy on the roster.

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
Let me get this straight.  He has no other offers, Lavin is in town, offers this kid.  He says yes right away, and have never been to the campus or NY?  This is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

gonzalo

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »

Perspective: When Omari Lawrence transferred the general comment was: "Don´t worry. We´ll get better players"

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
Giving the ship out to a guy that was going to walk-on at UTEP sounds strange.  Hopefully he turns out to be a stud.  It's not like I'm saying its the end of the world but I would have preferred he held the ship for 2012 rather than just have a body.  Its what I'd call a misstep.  Not a big deal but a misstep nonetheless.  Hopefully Perez proves Lavin to be a genius.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »

Perspective: When Omari Lawrence transferred the general comment was: "Don´t worry. We´ll get better players"

Gonzalo- Outside of Remi Barry (Academic questions) and Chris Hill (again academic questions) who do you see out there for 2010 being mentioned with us?  Nobody.  If Lavin is doing this in his 4th or 5th year then people can complain.  It's year one and hes trying to come up from under the scholarship mess that Norm left.  13th player on the roster and people are making it seem like we gave up signing a McDonalds AA for him?

Moose

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »
Giving the ship out to a guy that was going to walk-on at UTEP sounds strange.  Hopefully he turns out to be a stud.  It's not like I'm saying its the end of the world but I would have preferred he held the ship for 2012 rather than just have a body.  Its what I'd call a misstep.  Not a big deal but a misstep nonetheless.  Hopefully Perez proves Lavin to be a genius.

You mean 2011 not 2012?
He's evening out the classes.  9 newcomers is easier to swallow than 10 newcomers next year.  4 returning players (Polee, Stith, Perez, Roberts) is better than 3.

gonzalo

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »

Gonzalo- Outside of Remi Barry (Academic questions) and Chris Hill (again academic questions) who do you see out there for 2010 being mentioned with us?  Nobody.  If Lavin is doing this in his 4th or 5th year then people can complain.  It's year one and hes trying to come up from under the scholarship mess that Norm left.  13th player on the roster and people are making it seem like we gave up signing a McDonalds AA for him?

I see what you want to say, although I´m sure that we have been involved with more players.

I was not expecting a McDonald´s All American this year. But I expected more than a player that was going to be a walk-on in UTEP.