Mike Perez Commits

• 71 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Mike Perez Commits
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
Almost any US player who is available at this point - even low level guys - is gonna have academic questions.  Or they would have pledged to a D-II or D-III or JUCO or NAIA. It's freaking July.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:11:06 PM by peter »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Or they could just not be that good.  But remember Donald Williams who almost committed, then walked on at kentucky?  He went to JUCO, and signed with Ole Miss.  Maybe, despite his mystery status and the fact that he walked on, there's a decent player in Donald Williams... maybe the same applies to Perez, given a few years.

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
Giving the ship out to a guy that was going to walk-on at UTEP sounds strange.  Hopefully he turns out to be a stud.  It's not like I'm saying its the end of the world but I would have preferred he held the ship for 2012 rather than just have a body.  Its what I'd call a misstep.  Not a big deal but a misstep nonetheless.  Hopefully Perez proves Lavin to be a genius.

You mean 2011 not 2012?
He's evening out the classes.  9 newcomers is easier to swallow than 10 newcomers next year.  4 returning players (Polee, Stith, Perez, Roberts) is better than 3.

I mean 2012...how about 8 newcomers in 2011 and save a couple of ships for 2012 to start to balance out the ships.  If this guy is truly the 13th man, I think its a mistake.  Save the role players for the 2011 class and hold some schollies over for high level 2012 players.

And I think you guys are being a little sensitive.  We're not exactly ripping Lavin apart.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »
Giving the ship out to a guy that was going to walk-on at UTEP sounds strange.  Hopefully he turns out to be a stud.  It's not like I'm saying its the end of the world but I would have preferred he held the ship for 2012 rather than just have a body.  Its what I'd call a misstep.  Not a big deal but a misstep nonetheless.  Hopefully Perez proves Lavin to be a genius.

You mean 2011 not 2012?
He's evening out the classes.  9 newcomers is easier to swallow than 10 newcomers next year.  4 returning players (Polee, Stith, Perez, Roberts) is better than 3.

I mean 2012...how about 8 newcomers in 2011 and save a couple of ships for 2012 to start to balance out the ships.  If this guy is truly the 13th man, I think its a mistake.  Save the role players for the 2011 class and hold some schollies over for high level 2012 players.

And I think you guys are being a little sensitive.  We're not exactly ripping Lavin apart.

Not being sensitive.  I just think its very quick to judge what his plans are.   CRgreen has mentioned in the past how Lavin gets cute with schollies and walk ons.

I agree its pointless to use all 9 or 10 in one shot.  We know how 2012 has solid players and why limit ourselves to just 2011 class.  I would be shocked to see more than 6 or 7 in 2011.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
I'm kind of shocked by you guys.  What has Lavin ever done on the recruiting end to make you question him?  Nobody will say a bad word about his recruiting ability. 

The man knows everyone, and I'm sure Arizona is one of his more extensive networks.  All the big boys were probably doubting this kid's ability since he played in rather unimpressive league.  It seems like he really had a nice run this summer and he proved that he could hang with the best.  Lavin must have seen something to offer him on the spot.

If this were Norm, I'd be foaming at the mouth.  I'm going to trust Lavin on this one, though.  He got us a consensus top 100 player in the first month of his employment.  It took Norm six years to get 2-3.

I also think Remi is very much in play for 2011.

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
It feels good to actually talk some St. John's hoops again. Its been like a month since we've had anything good to talk about.

I'd welcome the addition of Mike Perez to St. John's but its certainly valid to question whether or not offering him a scholarship is going to help this program reach the level of success we are expecting to reach under Coach Lavin.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
I'm kind of shocked by you guys.  What has Lavin ever done on the recruiting end to make you question him?  Nobody will say a bad word about his recruiting ability. 

The man knows everyone, and I'm sure Arizona is one of his more extensive networks.  All the big boys were probably doubting this kid's ability since he played in rather unimpressive league.  It seems like he really had a nice run this summer and he proved that he could hang with the best.  Lavin must have seen something to offer him on the spot.

If this were Norm, I'd be foaming at the mouth.  I'm going to trust Lavin on this one, though.  He got us a consensus top 100 player in the first month of his employment.  It took Norm six years to get 2-3.

He plays for the Compton Magic, which gets plenty of exposure (top 3-4 program right now on the WC and is run by Dinos' right-hand man, Etop). Dinos is the middleman. The "big boys" definitely saw him play.

I could care less about a thirteenth man, but I am curious who they will get in return.
I am glad to see him gone, but I do wonder what deals Norm could've cut, if they didn't tie his hands. He was creative with Self.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:52:53 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

Moose

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »

The League was not that bad according to CRgreen.  Same league produced Mike Bibby and Ryan Walcott who played for Lavin. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

He plays for the Compton Magic, which gets plenty of exposure (top 3-4 program right now on the WC and is run by Dinos' right-hand man, Etop). Dinos is the middleman. The "big boys" definitely saw him play.

I could care less about a thirteenth man, but I am curious who they will get in return.
I am glad to see him gone, but I do wonder what deals Norm could've cut, if they didn't tie his hands. He was creative with Self.

I was under the impression that his stint with Compton just began.  If so, that could be why there is new interest in him.  I don't know the reasoning, but I am not going to doubt Lavin.  He is connected in California and Arizona and I'm sure this kid intrigued some people that have Lavin's ear. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »
Thing is, I would have loved to see a recruit who can play down low in development for 2011.  It takes bigs a little longer to get the size and knowledge to play in the bigger leagues unless they're blue chippers; and the 2011 class is not heavy on big men like the 2012 class is.

sjd8886

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
ive never even heard of this kid before he committed, but with the staff lavin has on hand, im sure taking on a point with good size for his position and decent athleticism is not such a bad idea considering the amount of scholarships he has to fill next year...evening out the scholarship situation could be a big factor here...also, you have to believe that he is waiting for remi to either be cleared or not be cleared before this kid is signed...remember, at this point there are no LIO's, so this kid saying he wants to come is just talk...and if remi comes, maybe this kid walks on and is given a scholie at some point in the future...that wouldnt be terrible considering our depth at PG

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:34 PM »
So the non-commitment may have helped Mike Perez.  This is about the Rhode Island Rams; the author, I think, didn't do a lot of first hand searching about whether Perez was committed or not, so ignore that part:

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/URI_Rams_PC_Friars_NCAA_McNamara_07-21-10_87J_v3.1eeadbc.html

The Rams have also been mentioned with Michael Perez, a 6-5 swingman from Tucson, Aziz., who led the state in scoring at nearly 30 points a game. Perez was at one time committed to attend St. John’s but that may not be a done deal due to issues with his eligibility.