Uconn Postgame

• 64 replies

boo3

Re: Uconn Postgame
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:06 AM »
 Exchanged emails with a friend this morning who is a Syracuse alum and fan.  His direct quote: "That was a trashing last night. The Orange need to start to play like that. Geez, never thought i would want Cuse to be more like St. John's."    this made me smile. 

in re: Xhoops...   He is obviously sticking up for a friend or member of his family.  I have no problem with it.  Doesn't detract from the victory as far as i'm concerned. The timing seems a bit odd.  Maybe wait a day or so?  Burrell is a team player and i'm sure he was just as thrilled as Hardy was after that game. 

CTMike

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
Exchanged emails with a friend this morning who is a Syracuse alum and fan.  His direct quote: "That was a trashing last night. The Orange need to start to play like that. Geez, never thought i would want Cuse to be more like St. John's."    this made me smile. 

in re: Xhoops...   He is obviously sticking up for a friend or member of his family.  I have no problem with it.  Doesn't detract from the victory as far as i'm concerned. The timing seems a bit odd.  Maybe wait a day or so?  Burrell is a team player and i'm sure he was just as thrilled as Hardy was after that game.

Not only Syracuse, I wish Uconn would play like that and like they've proven they are capable of.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:58:06 AM by CTMike »

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
This St  Johns team is going to the Sweet 16, minimum. I said this 3 games ago in the chat.

Calhoun got pooped on, always love seeing that

kjd01067

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
This St  Johns team is going to the Sweet 16, minimum. I said this 3 games ago in the chat.

Baldi you better not have just jinxed us

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
I am extremely happy for this team and love the crowd and media attention we are getting locally and nationally.  I was at the game last night and the UCONN fans were quiet almost the whole game.  Actually saw a UCONN kid throw beer at SJU fans before he got kicked out.  It was quite commical because the poor kid was drunk and would of got stomped on.  UConn fans are so arrogant and the fact that we have destroyed them two games in a row is eating them alive.  They loved that we were down and they were supperior but not any more.

BTW, is it me or does it seem like Lavin's system is far better at the Garden and big arenas, than CA or smaller road courts?  We space out the floor so much and our guys find more open shots.  If we look this good, with these guys, can you imagine how insane SJU will look with Lavin's style in years to come?

Once again, it was great to see another huge crowd and another blowout win.  Each reg season game at the Garden seems like a Big East tourny game.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
Evans outplayed Burrell last night. Plain and simple.
If Burrell was making better decisions with the ball in the first half he'd have played more.

Lavin saw a better offense with Hardy, DJ, Horne and Brownlee taking most of our shots. It worked. Burrell is a solid role. He contributed last night, but watching him put it on the floor 12 feet away should make it pretty clear to anyone as why he sat.

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »

Nobody wants to face us, the Big East is finding this out now. You can see the look on Calhoun's face, he wants no part of a good St Johns program. Too bad, lucky for him he's on the way out. A arse kicking like that might have made his retirement decision a bit easier.

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
Evans outplayed Burrell last night. Plain and simple.
If Burrell was making better decisions with the ball in the first half he'd have played more.

Lavin saw a better offense with Hardy, DJ, Horne and Brownlee taking most of our shots. It worked. Burrell is a solid role. He contributed last night, but watching him put it on the floor 12 feet away should make it pretty clear to anyone as why he sat.

How brutal was it when he got called for 3 seconds with the ball in his hands?

CTMike

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
I am extremely happy for this team and love the crowd and media attention we are getting locally and nationally.  I was at the game last night and the UCONN fans were quiet almost the whole game.  Actually saw a UCONN kid throw beer at SJU fans before he got kicked out.  It was quite commical because the poor kid was drunk and would of got stomped on.  UConn fans are so arrogant and the fact that we have destroyed them two games in a row is eating them alive.  They loved that we were down and they were supperior but not any more.

BTW, is it me or does it seem like Lavin's system is far better at the Garden and big arenas, than CA or smaller road courts?  We space out the floor so much and our guys find more open shots.  If we look this good, with these guys, can you imagine how insane SJU will look with Lavin's style in years to come?

Once again, it was great to see another huge crowd and another blowout win.  Each reg season game at the Garden seems like a Big East tourny game.

Well, I wasn't at  the game so I can't speak for the conduct of the Uconn fans who were there. It's unfortunate about the kid throwing the beer, but that behavior is not typical of Uconn fans. Neither is arrogance. Am I disappointed with the loss? Definitely. But I'm even more disappointed with their lack of heart and hustle, especially in the second half.

Let's remember, there's still enough games left on the schedule for Uconn, St. John's and other teams to turn things around. St. John's can use the momentum from this victory as a springboard to beat Cincinnati. Uconn can learn from their mistakes and failures in this game and use it as an opportunity to improve, and hopefully beat Providence on Sunday night.

redslope

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
i was at the game but needed to see the post game "hand shake".  The Bronx guys JB and Hardy/Walker all hugged.  Mo Hicks was very gratious with his former point guard.  but the best was Steve and Ungratiuos Jim.  Jim would encourage Norm but the ice he threw at Steve could have been used by the Rangers for the Garden rink..He was probably fretting that htere would be no more free lunches in NYC or barber shop recruits.

kjd01067

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »

Nobody wants to face us, the Big East is finding this out now. You can see the look on Calhoun's face, he wants no part of a good St Johns program. Too bad, lucky for him he's on the way out. A arse kicking like that might have made his retirement decision a bit easier.

I agree no one wants to play us at MSG, on the road is another story.  We have a real jekyll and hyde thing going on this year.  When we show up to play we can compete with any team in the country, when we don't show up well we all know what happens.  I am hopeful that we keep this momentum growing but in the back of my mind i still have the losses to st bonaventure, fordham, the ass-kicking @ georgetown. louisville etc.  I guess 6 years of Norm's crap will have any fan a little afraid to show too much optimism.

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
i was at the game but needed to see the post game "hand shake".  The Bronx guys JB and Hardy/Walker all hugged.  Mo Hicks was very gratious with his former point guard.  but the best was Steve and Ungratiuos Jim.  Jim would encourage Norm but the ice he threw at Steve could have been used by the Rangers for the Garden rink..He was probably fretting that htere would be no more free lunches in NYC or barber shop recruits.

Party is over for Jimmy C.

CTMike

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »

Party is over for Jimmy C.
Obviously, Calhoun is one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball, as his record indicates. Also, from what I understand, if you talk to current and former players alike, they will tell you he genuinely cares for them. That said, many of us Uconn fans have never been particularly fond of Calhoun's abrasiveness. I'm sorry to hear that apparently he wasn't gracious to Coach Lavin after the game; maybe Calhoun will speak with him later.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:06:36 PM by CTMike »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »

Obviously, Calhoun is one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball, as his record indicates. Also, from what I understand, if you talk to current and former players alike, they will tell you he genuinely cares for them. That said, many of us Uconn fans have never been particularly fond of Calhoun's abrasiveness. I'm sorry to hear that apparently he wasn't gracious to Coach Lavin after the game; maybe Calhoun will speak with him later.
It's fine by me, really; I liked it better when it was a little more of St. John's against the world - the urban school, the tough villains of the BE (in the Artest/ Glover years at least). Norm was great at being liked. No one likes getting their backsides kicked, and most knew that norm was only good for one of those wins per year.

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »

Well, I wasn't at  the game so I can't speak for the conduct of the Uconn fans who were there. It's unfortunate about the kid throwing the beer, but that behavior is not typical of Uconn fans. Neither is arrogance. Am I disappointed with the loss? Definitely. But I'm even more disappointed with their lack of heart and hustle, especially in the second half.

:2funny:

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:37 PM »
Awesome win.  Love our resume now, but there is nothing I'd like to see more than a win Sunday against Cinci.  Bearcats fans have been killing me this year.  I honestly think they're more delusional than any other fans out there.  They've been talking lots of smack on the ESPN boards about how they smoked us in the first meeting.  Johnnies lost the game against Cincy the first time around, Cincy didn't win it.  It was the biggest gift I've seen all year.  Hopefully we can get some payback like we did with Notre Dame. 

CTMike

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
I'd like to point out (for whoever cares) where the huge turnaround and momentum shift in this game took place. Uconn was up 31-29 with 51 seconds to go in the first half. Then Dwight Hardy came back with a 3-pointer for SJU. Next, Uconn's Roscoe Smith was stripped of the ball with 4 seconds left on the clock followed by Malik Boothe's freak 37 footer banked in off the glass. Calhoun gets whistled for a technical foul and the score is 35-31 SJU at the half. When they came out, as a result of the technical, SJU began with two made free throws by Hardy. Then Kennedy scored on the ensuing possession to put SJU up 39-31 before Uconn even touched the ball in the second half. Uconn never recovered, and it was all history from there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:08:04 PM by CTMike »

Wods317

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Awesome win.  Love our resume now, but there is nothing I'd like to see more than a win Sunday against Cinci.  Bearcats fans have been killing me this year.  I honestly think they're more delusional than any other fans out there.  They've been talking lots of smack on the ESPN boards about how they smoked us in the first meeting.  Johnnies lost the game against Cincy the first time around, Cincy didn't win it.  It was the biggest gift I've seen all year.  Hopefully we can get some payback like we did with Notre Dame.

I read some stuff that Cincy fans have been saying, its crazy. It seems like they totally forgot that their only quality wins are over Xavier and us and we gave that game away. They seem to think they are locks for the tourney when they haven't beaten any top BE teams and had a joke of a non conference schedule, they are an NIT team and we should win.

tims19

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
cincy still needs to play us, gtown twice, uconn, louisville, marquette, and providence

and there 6-5 big east now,... we need to beat them, but there damned either way, so lets beat them

kjd01067

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
cincy still needs to play us, gtown twice, uconn, louisville, marquette, and providence

and there 6-5 big east now,... we need to beat them, but there damned either way, so lets beat them

I agree Cincy does have a very tough road ahead but I still think this game is huge for us.  Although, we have a high RPI and SOS we still need wins.  It would be hard for the committee to justify putting us in over Cincy if they have beaten us twice and have 22+ wins.  Lets keep rolling and pick up a big win Sunday!