Which of the 4-year Seniors Has Made the Most Progress

• 12 replies
Which of the 4-year Seniors Has Made the Most Progress
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »
We have six guys still on the team from that '07 recruiting class and I was thinking about who has made the most progress in their 4 years out of them all.  My vote goes to Paris Horne.  He was our least heralded recruit coming in from that class, became our leading scorer, and now is just a rock solid all around player who has great discipline on offense and great energy on defense.  Also our best finisher on the fast break and our second best spot shooter.  I was just not expecting him to become anything for us and thought he was the guy we brought in to appease Burrell.  His freshman year he showed he was a high-flyer but his evolution has been the most satisfying for me to watch.  He just brings everything he has to every game.  What do you guys think?

Wods317

Re: Which of the 4-year Seniors Has Made the Most Progress
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
It has to be Horne. He has become a great defender and has improved his 3pt shot quite a bit. He has been a good player for us but I think he has really progressed nicely each year and is capable of fitting multiple roles. His scoring has been up and down but thats because he is a team player and fits into the system. If we need his scoring he can score but if we need him to play defense or another role he is perfectly fine doing that also.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:25:30 PM »
Good eye for talent gentlemen.  Hilton has been my favorite Johnny ever since he shot 12 for 13 a couple of years back against Rutgers and was roundly destroyed for it by our fanbase on one of these boards.  I took up the all too easy task of defending him then and have really admired his play ever since.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
I'm interested in hearing from people who voted for DJ.  No doubt he has made major strides but  he was easily the second most polished player coming out of high school, with JB being the most polished.

xhoops

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
Love to see dishing on pick and rolls..instead of taking it against strong D.

tims19

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
horne came in with some of the same skillset,... Crazy ally oop. Paris Horne jumps over defender's head! but he is a shutdown corner, basically... defense like revis out  there and can hit the 3

redslope

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
interesting that this appears as Coach discussed Paris on the Red Storm Report today.  while he feels that Hardy and Brownlee made the most progress from last season, he said that Paris made the most improvement since practice started.  His praise of Paris was wonderful.  Basically said Paris would do what ever was necessary to win and he sees him having future coaching ability.  compared him to Tony Chiles.  Highly complimentary and his fellow teammates respect him.

I agree that the praise of Paris is well deserved.  When he went out in 1st half with 2 fouls, it worried me because of all the energy he brings.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:30:45 PM »
Paris really has done little wrong this bigeast season. He won the game for us at providence and loookin back thats a game that we couldn't have lost. Ever since then hes played great D, hit 3's, and even has started to pass and board better.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
I'm interested in hearing from people who voted for DJ.  No doubt he has made major strides but  he was easily the second most polished player coming out of high school, with JB being the most polished.

I don't think he was that polished.  I think he was good defensively and really scrapped his freshman year.  I think he has improved his shot considerably as well as his ball handling so he got my vote...wish he was more aggressive this year.  Hopefully he gets a spark after the Uconn effort.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »

I don't think he was that polished.  I think he was good defensively and really scrapped his freshman year.  I think he has improved his shot considerably as well as his ball handling so he got my vote...wish he was more aggressive this year.  Hopefully he gets a spark after the Uconn effort.

Yea, his shot has improved greatly from Freshman year.  But when he stepped on campus I envisioned him as a future 10 point, 6 rebound per game type of guy which is basically what he is right now.  When I first saw Paris I thought of a guy who can give us 10 high energy minutes per game and throw down a sick slam after a steal every once in a while.  he has been far more though.  The Mason injury problems dramatically helped the development of both players though.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
Horne could have hung his head after initially losing his job to Hardy, but he proved just how much this team needs him to win. You can point to both GTown and Prov, and that Horne for saving those games.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
Who the heck voted for Burrell?  He is the one guy who has regressed since his Freshman year.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Who the heck voted for Burrell?  He is the one guy who has regressed since his Freshman year.

Have you read any of Xhoops posts? 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!