All-Time Great Johnny First Names

• 46 replies

dR3w

Re: All-Time Great Johnny First Names
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »
You are mistaken. Mullin didn't average 20 PPG as a pro. Maybe he did for 5/6 years, but that's it. Comparing Bird to Mullin in any way is insane. Bird is one of the best players ever, and many still believe he was the best ever.

18.2 ppg career ... which is 92nd all time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mullich01.html

crgreen

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
As a Johnny, not at all. But this HOF garbage is overdone.
He was a good pro. Not a great a great pro.

Mullin averaged 20ppg as a pro as well as over 4 assists per game and some other great stats.  Larry bird averaged 24 per game.  Difference between good and legend is 4 ppg?   I don't think so.  I don't think mullin was as good as Bird, but to say he wants a great pro is kinda crazy if you look at his numbers.

You are mistaken. Mullin didn't average 20 PPG as a pro. Maybe he did for 5/6 years, but that's it. Comparing Bird to Mullin in any way is insane. Bird is one of the best players ever, and many still believe he was the best ever.

Chris was 18.2 pts a game for his career, 3.5 assists, 4.1 rebs.    He was fisrt team All NBA once.   He finished in the top 15 for MVP twice in his career - 6th in '92, and 13th in '89.   He has no championships, and the only career stat he's in the top 25 for is Free Throw % - where he's exactly 25th.     

Legend?  As noted, 24.2 pts, 6.3 assists, 10.0 rebs.  First team ALL NBA 8 times.    3 time League MVP, he finished in the top 15  TWELVE times - finished in the top 5 NINE temes.   Won 3 Championships.  Twice was tourney MVP.  Was All Star game MVP.   He's #17 all time in pts per game, #10 all time in Free throw %,   #22 all time in Defensive Rebounds (#51 all time for rebounds).   He's #43 all time in assists - as a power forward. 

Chris was a great Collegiate player, and an excellent pro.   Maybe with better teammates, he might have had a better pro resume.   Who Knows.   But there was whole lot more difference than 5 pts a game between Mullin and Bird.    I mean, heck, Adrian Dantley outscored Bird - AD got 24.3 for HIS careeer....

Poison

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

This makes a bit more sense.  Mullin had those great years at Golden state but some of those numbers can be attributed to the style of offense they played.  I agree that the HOF , in most sports, has become watered down.  The fact that Mullin was on that first Dream Team is a big factor also, i'm sure.  Not sure why that should be a factor, but i bet it is..

He's a good man, and I've always liked him. What bothers me is the way University milks him and Lou for awards dinners so they can jack more money out of us. It's ridiculous. Basically, it's $300 a head to celebrate something that happened 26 years ago. There should be a reasonably priced Tip-off Dinner/Party for the fans who are here today. $300 is a f'n nerve. But that's one area where the University has remained consistent.

Because these events cost no money to run, right?

What events? A bar room gathering in the back room or in the basement of Stout? Yea, forgive me, but I do not believe that a Big East school should find it a hardship to host a happy hour. And read a little more carefully, I never said it should be free. $25-$50 is appropriate. $300 is obnoxious and greedy.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you.  I don't b and moan about everything this program does like you do.  There are plenty of $50 dollar events.  They can have a $25 dollar event if you want.  But you can kiss open bar goodbye.  For $25 bucks you might get some appetizers.  Do you know what other 'big time' programs do in terms of fundraisers like that?  Make up your mind, do you want to be big time or not?

Open bar. That's what this is about? Take that away and let's see how civil this "big time" crowd of drunks would be.
You don't bitch and moan? You're doing it now princess.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »

Mullin averaged 20ppg as a pro as well as over 4 assists per game and some other great stats.  Larry bird averaged 24 per game.  Difference between good and legend is 4 ppg?   I don't think so.  I don't think mullin was as good as Bird, but to say he wants a great pro is kinda crazy if you look at his numbers.

Chris was 18.2 pts a game for his career, 3.5 assists, 4.1 rebs.    He was fisrt team All NBA once.   He finished in the top 15 for MVP twice in his career - 6th in '92, and 13th in '89.   He has no championships, and the only career stat he's in the top 25 for is Free Throw % - where he's exactly 25th.     

Legend?  As noted, 24.2 pts, 6.3 assists, 10.0 rebs.  First team ALL NBA 8 times.    3 time League MVP, he finished in the top 15  TWELVE times - finished in the top 5 NINE temes.   Won 3 Championships.  Twice was tourney MVP.  Was All Star game MVP.   He's #17 all time in pts per game, #10 all time in Free throw %,   #22 all time in Defensive Rebounds (#51 all time for rebounds).   He's #43 all time in assists - as a power forward. 

Chris was a great Collegiate player, and an excellent pro.   Maybe with better teammates, he might have had a better pro resume.   Who Knows.   But there was whole lot more difference than 5 pts a game between Mullin and Bird.    I mean, heck, Adrian Dantley outscored Bird - AD got 24.3 for HIS careeer....

You don't know the first thing about basketball if you think Mullin is

18.2 ppg career ... which is 92nd all time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mullich01.html

You should need more than 6 good, not great years on a bad team to make any HOF.

Moose

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »

This makes a bit more sense.  Mullin had those great years at Golden state but some of those numbers can be attributed to the style of offense they played.  I agree that the HOF , in most sports, has become watered down.  The fact that Mullin was on that first Dream Team is a big factor also, i'm sure.  Not sure why that should be a factor, but i bet it is..

He's a good man, and I've always liked him. What bothers me is the way University milks him and Lou for awards dinners so they can jack more money out of us. It's ridiculous. Basically, it's $300 a head to celebrate something that happened 26 years ago. There should be a reasonably priced Tip-off Dinner/Party for the fans who are here today. $300 is a f'n nerve. But that's one area where the University has remained consistent.

What events? A bar room gathering in the back room or in the basement of Stout? Yea, forgive me, but I do not believe that a Big East school should find it a hardship to host a happy hour. And read a little more carefully, I never said it should be free. $25-$50 is appropriate. $300 is obnoxious and greedy.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you.  I don't b and moan about everything this program does like you do.  There are plenty of $50 dollar events.  They can have a $25 dollar event if you want.  But you can kiss open bar goodbye.  For $25 bucks you might get some appetizers.  Do you know what other 'big time' programs do in terms of fundraisers like that?  Make up your mind, do you want to be big time or not?

Open bar. That's what this is about? Take that away and let's see how civil this "big time" crowd of drunks would be.

I'd like to know what experience you have in event planning.  I'm not bitching and moaning.  I'm taking a poster like yourself to task, sweetheart.  Can't wait to come back to the site and see what's next.  How about a prediction for tonight?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »

I'd like to know what experience you have in event planning.  I'm not bitching and moaning.  I'm taking a poster like yourself to task, sweetheart.  Can't wait to come back to the site and see what's next.  How about a prediction for tonight?

What experience I have in event planning? I'm not a woman. Are you an event planner? Please say yes.
My prediction for tonight: Syracuse 117 - Cal State LA - 55.

And yes, you are bitching. Did you even go to the Mullin event since you like to call people out for not being "big time"?

Moose

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »

What experience I have in event planning? I'm not a woman. Are you an event planner? Please say yes.
My prediction for tonight: Syracuse 117 - Cal State LA - 55.

And yes, you are bitching. Did you even go to the Mullin event since you like to call people out for not being "big time"?

Hey Poison.  I never called anyone out for not going.  I can't afford the events either.  But just so you can't go doesn't mean you should rip the people who do a great job putting together a top flight event.

And no I'm not an event planner.  I just know the people who planned the events and I've heard their side of the story.  You know that the other side since all sides have 'two' stories.  Now since you have taken two shots at me with name calling I will end this conversation out of respect for Dave and the other moderators.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
Top 5 Silliest Names

5. John St. John
 4. Alpha Bangura
 3. Augie Joos
 2. Tony Agoglia
 1. Paul Berwanger

Top 5 All Unpronounceable team

5. Otoja Abit
 4. Joseph Krajcovic
 3. Ed Brzozowski
 2. Chris Szeblewski
 1. Francis Plol

http://www.redmen.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=240&Itemid=830

crgreen

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »
Here's mine.  Feel free to add your own.  I know you will:

1) Chris - A crappy first name; but goes on top of all SJU lists.
2) Walter - See #1
3) G*d's Gift Achiuwa
4) Carmine Calzonetti - Love that name.
5) Bootsy Thorton
6) Solly Walker
7) Hy Gotkin
8. Zendon Hamilton
9) Chudney Grey
10) Dutch Garfinkel
11) Anchise Cerillo
12) Shariff Fordham
13) Kevelin Winfree
14) Geovani Soto
15) Marco Baldi
16) Alpha Bangura
17) Hernel Robertson
18) Felipe Lopez
19) Shawnelle Scott
20) Chucky Sproiling - Good Halloween name
21) Roshown McLeod
22) Tristian Smith
23) Kareem Syed
24) Mohamed Diakite
25) Jeremiah Davidson
26) Omar Cook
27) Shelton Jones
28) Malik I, II and III
29) Emil Kohut
30) Cecil Bellford
31) Tomas Jasiulonis
32) Rowan Barrett
33) Tariq Turner
34) Lavor Postell
35) Milos Dumic
36) Trevor Jackson

** Special group category
37) Lamont Middleton; Grady Reynolds; Fred Lyson - Sanford and Sons

How the heck do NURIDEEN and SIR DOMINIC miss the top 36?

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
Poison...seriously you have nothing better to do than bash mullin?

The OP started a fun topic...thanks to foad  for getting us back on topic.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »

I'm not saying mullin was close to Bird who is a legend.  I only disagreed with poison who called him a good but not great pro.  I'm not talking about team accomplishments here.  Golden state stunk for the most part.  Bird had Parrish, mchale and lots of other fantastic players.  My point was only that mullin certainly was better than a "good" pro if you look at his numbers.

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »

How the heck do NURIDEEN and SIR DOMINIC miss the top 36?

Good point:

38) Sir'Dominic Pointer - Reminds me of Sidney Poittier
39) Nurideen Lindsey -
40) Moe Harkless - Larry and Curly
41) D'Angelo Harrison

New List - All-Time Johnny Best First Name By Team

1) 1984/1985 - See first list
2) 2011/2012
3) 2011/2012
4) 2011/2012

G*d's Gift, Sir'Dominic, Nurideen, Moe, D'Angelo, Malik, Jamal, Gerard...add Norvel, Jakar and Amir and it's just mind boggling. Not a Tom, John or Bob on the list.  We should just cut Phil and Sam.  I think I've just figured out Hollywood's latest recruiting strategy.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:50:30 PM by carmineabbatiello »

boo3

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
 Jack Wolfinger

crgreen

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »

I'm not saying mullin was close to Bird who is a legend.  I only disagreed with poison who called him a good but not great pro.  I'm not talking about team accomplishments here.  Golden state stunk for the most part.  Bird had Parrish, mchale and lots of other fantastic players.  My point was only that mullin certainly was better than a "good" pro if you look at his numbers.

I agree.  As a Laker fan, his pro prodution was kind of a combo of the two SFs on the Magic/Kareem teams - First Jamaal Wilkes, then James Worthy.    As great as they were, neither was the pure shooter Chris was.   Mullin was always one of my "what if" guys - what if HE'D been manning the 3 with Magic, Byron Scott, AC and Kareem?

Foad

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
I love Chris Mullin, but he is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen in any sport.

I googled Kevelin Winfree and this is the fourth result. Just saying.

cjfish

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
How can any name be better than God's?

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Mullin, but he is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen in any sport.
The University is milking his name like he's Abdul Jabbar. I wonder when the next HOF dinner is? Will there be one every month?

Are you are professional Putz?  Why post something that is irrelevant in 2018 and whose only purpose is to piss off others.

sju89tr

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
How can any name be better than God's?

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Mullin, but he is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen in any sport.
The University is milking his name like he's Abdul Jabbar. I wonder when the next HOF dinner is? Will there be one every month?

Truly a horrible post

cjfish

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »

He averaged 25+ for 5 seasons once he got sober.  His stats in those years were all NBA which is why he was on the dream team.  You don't know hoop at all if you believe he was anything but great.

redslope

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
WOW--someone must have too much time on their hands to dredge this up and rehash it.

PS He was Cecil Rellford NOT Bellford

Foad

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »

Are you are professional Putz?  Why post something that is irrelevant in 2018 and whose only purpose is to piss off others.

No. Someone mentioned Kevelin Winfree  and I googled him because I'm old and senile and this post from 2011 came up. To the extent that it's irrelevant in 2018 that's on me. To the extent that Scarsdale said something stupid about Mullin, that's on him, but mostly it's on me.