What we learned from CVC

• 65 replies

paultzman

Re: What we learned from CVC
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
Have to agree with the "Iona Idol" and Choz on their assessments.

redslope

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
We continue to see a group that is exciting, giving A+plus effort and will be fun to watch but will require a large supply of Rolaids.  As long as they also show growth throughout the year, the future will be bright.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »
Baldi, this is the pre season. It's almost meaningless. These games are intended to get us ready.
This squad is further along than I expected. If they can add Garrett, and he's ready to play, they will be better than I originally predicted. Greene is a player, and Harkless has really impressed me.

Let me ask you this, if we beat these two teams, would you still call it meaningless or would you be touting the team for beating top 20 teams.  Saying it is meaningless is a cop out.  Just trying to down play the losses.  No game against a top 20 team is meaningless for this bunch.  If anything, it carries more significance than a win over a run of the mill Big Esat team.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »
I stand by what I said. It's meaningless.

If you win the CVC, and you get pounded in the BE, you don't dance. We lost to Fordham and to the Bonnies last year. What did it mean? Allow me to answer the question for you. Nothing.

The point of the pre season is to get ready for real one.

And by the way, Cinci just lost to some team I've never even heard of. Are they done?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:14:05 PM by Poison »

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »

If you win the CVC, and you get pounded in the BE, you don't dance. We lost to Fordham and to the Bonnies last year. What did it mean? Allow me to answer the question for you. Nothing.

And by the way, Cinci just lost to some team I've never even heard of. Are they done?

Any game that counts towards your record is not meaningless

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »

Presbyterian College.  Located up the road from me.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
two tough losses for our young johnnies.
what we learned.

1.Moe is a stud and is only going to get better. hes been this good through 5 games (15 pts 7 rebs) while shooting 43% from the field 58% from the line and 15%! from 3. Once his shot picks up hell be tremendous

2. Phil Greene is going to be really good.  Kid is determined, fearless and has maybe the best looking shot on the team.

3. Deangelo is the emotional leader of the team. Hes got fire and flash and can hit from the line.

4. Nuri can go coast to coast as well as anyone. Hes just missing a jumper. badly.

5. GG is not the same player against good competition. Lets just hope hes not as bad as he showed the last two days.

6. Dom his D never wavers, if hes offense comes around hell be special. If he sures up his handle hell be able to go by anyone he wants.

7. stith has been steady. Like him off the ball much better than at the point.

I think well see this team come along similarly to last years team, and hopefully the addition of garrett will help with rebounding, foul trouble, and fatigue. 

Agree with everything you wrote.  I'd like to see Dom concentrate on his strengths this year and approach improving his handle more after the season.  He is a liability when he tries to handle in the half court right now.

Mod is a beast.  I love players that can create opportunities from nothing...like offensive boards, swats that lead breaks, deflections, etc. and Moe is amazing there.  As he adds weight/strength and gets better hands, he's going to be a killer!  Dom is also great here too. If those two were on the court with Sampson or Pelle, it would be a volleyball game.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
Also, Moe is gone in two years...I pray he stays three, but this kid has lottery written all over him.  People talk about Nuri leaving early, but Moe has it all.

boo3

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
Also, Moe is gone in two years...I pray he stays three, but this kid has lottery written all over him.  People talk about Nuri leaving early, but Moe has it all.

I hope we get three years from Moe.  Pretty please?

Foad

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 04:33:06 AM »
NIT would be a nice launching pad
This team can make a deep run in the CBI. That sort of post season success can only bode well.

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
ok i'll bite...

- Nuri - needs to ask Monasch to make copies of the keys to the gym. If he shoots 500 jumpers a day he will be a nightmare. 8-16 from the line from your point guard is unacceptable. he is unquestionably our playmaker and engine, hatten-like craftiness. we are a different team when he's not on the floor. can you imagine if he becomes a threat to shoot (that pump fake won't work for long in the big east)? maybe nitpicking but not quite as good an athlete as i expected.

- Pointer is the prototype for the top of a 1-3-1 defense. he really needs to tighten up his handle because he's going to be leading a lot of fast breaks over the next few years. top candidate for crowd favorite.

- Harkless. all the tools, as mike repole might say "could be any kind". still wondering if he has that nasty streak. impressed with the way he rebounds in traffic which makes me think he does, and we need every one. just wish he was a little more aggressive with the jumper.

- GG, which one is the real one? seemingly became a reliable free throw shooter overnight (any one who was at the first game can attest). right now his only post move is the swim which he got away with against lesser. need 10 and 8 to be a factor

- harrison. starting to pick it up. you just get the feeling he's one of those guys that scores in bunches and you don't know when it's coming. doesn't have the quickness to beat anyone of the dribble right now. he plays as hard as anyone and really gets after it on defense. he's the one you love on your team and hate if he's not (i.e jared dudley). he will lead the big east in techs.

- greene. a pleasant surprise. whoever said it earlier in this thread was right, he has the nicest stroke on the team. has spurts where he is absolutely fearless, needs that confidence all the time, very emotional you can tell he has a switch. keep it on. best handle on the team besides stith (don't laugh).

- stith. the 7th man but i'll tell you where we will need him and its underrated. getting the ball over half court when we get pressed by big east teams. i trust him there for some reason

overall - every one of these kids can play. every one is a threat. we might have 5 guys average double figures for the next 3 years. love the attitude on defense (wish lavin would at least show us a man to man when we're getting bombed like vs arizona - we have the athletes to do it now). problem is every time i get too excited i think about this team with pelle, jakarr and garrett.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 11:41:36 AM »
i learned that lenny robbins doesn't like the student section from this tournament.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 12:05:04 PM »
This group still needs work on that zone. It has bee. Great for 10 minutes a game. If they can play it like that for 10 minutes each half, then they will be able switch to man because we won't be dead in the water w foul trouble.

Arizona doesn't win that game if we have 2 more players. Neither does A&M. Because we are so light getting used to our 7 man rotation is key. If Garrett comes on board soon, we can compete at the BE level. Plenty of teams in the BE are still figuring things out too.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
Im, Presbyterian College???

Is the worst loss in BE history? It just might be. Where is this school?

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »

For starters, these aren't "pre-season" games as you would like to call them. They actually have meaning and count towards our record. Some early season games are taken into consideration for Bubble teams looking to get into the tourney. 

-If you call the BE season the 'real' season, and the CVC games just a meaningless pre-season, what about the games at Kentucky and Duke?  The Kentucky game is before BE play starts, so I guess that game doesn't really mean much either, since its before the real season starts.

-How have you never heard of Presbyterian College?  I know its not the most popular or publicized college out there, but its not like it just opened like a few years ago or something....

As for what this thread is about:

I believe Dennis Green said it best..."They are who we thought they were!!"...........A young, inexperienced team that has all the talent and potential in the world. A team that will have many ups and downs throughout the season, but will definitely be fun to watch!!!

Moose

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »

For starters, these aren't "pre-season" games as you would like to call them. They actually have meaning and count towards our record. Some early season games are taken into consideration for Bubble teams looking to get into the tourney. 

-If you call the BE season the 'real' season, and the CVC games just a meaningless pre-season, what about the games at Kentucky and Duke?  The Kentucky game is before BE play starts, so I guess that game doesn't really mean much either, since its before the real season starts.

-How have you never heard of Presbyterian College?  I know its not the most popular or publicized college out there, but its not like it just opened like a few years ago or something....

I believe Dennis Green said it best..."They are who we thought they were!!"...........A young, inexperienced team that has all the talent and potential in the world. A team that will have many ups and downs throughout the season, but will definitely be fun to watch!!!

You seriously heard of Presbyterian College????  It's like their first year in D1.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
I couldnt even tell you where the nearest Presbyterian church was let alone that college
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:14:34 PM by mjmaherjr »

Poison

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »

If you don't consider the Big East "the real season", you must be pretty new to the game. I'm not some guy calling the BE "the real season" IT IS THE REAL SEASON.

Let me break it down for you. Tournaments, and games like the ones we are playing in, are designed to get college players ready for the games that the committee actually takes into SERIOUS account before handing out bids. How you finish is far more important than how you start. If these games mattered, people would go to them.

And no, I've never heard of Presbyterian College. I don't know what the F that is.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:39:31 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
I coldly even tell you where the nearest Presbyterian church was let alone that college

Why coldy?

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
Im, Presbyterian College???

Is the worst loss in BE history? It just might be. Where is this school?

It's in Clinton, SC (about 60-65 miles from my neck-of-the-woods).  A very, small town right outside the upstate area (Greenville-Spartanburg) of South Carolina.  It's also known as "PC" around these parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian_College
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:49:18 PM by mjdinkins »