"Yung Mase" Battles to Get Back

• 8 replies
"Yung Mase" Battles to Get Back
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »
http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/broken_bypassed_anthony_mason_2011_12_13.html

Pain is the teacher. The liberator. The place where Anthony Mason, Jr. grips for control.

When NBA training camps began on Friday, four players from Mason’s Sioux Falls Skyforce NBA Development League team got invitations to big league clubs. Mason wasn’t one of them. So he bid goodbye to Greg Stiemsma, Charles Garcia, Gabe Pruitt and Casey Mitchell and buried his head in work again, disappearing to the gym again so he can finally, for the first time since his body began breaking down annually, take ownership of the pain that’s put him here.

“[Without the injuries] not only would he have gotten a call-up by now, I think he’d be on a team,” said Skyforce coach Mo McHone.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:35:29 PM by STJ11Redmen »

Tha Kid

Re: "Yung Mase" Battles to Get Back
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »
Great article.  Good luck Mase.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »
I wish Mase well. Always admired his character, and perseverance. If Geno is playing overseas, there has got to be a spot for Mase. Either way, he has a graduate degree.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
Good for Mason, hope he gets his shot at a roster spot. Norm brought in some good kids in his tenure, more than a few still playing ball and getting paid for it

Moose

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
Good for Mason, hope he gets his shot at a roster spot. Norm brought in some good kids in his tenure, more than a few still playing ball and getting paid for it

Does anyone remember press releases back in the day of Geno, Mase, and others signing deals overseas?  Maybe I've forgotten those years and they don't resonate but I only recall seeing them last year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:17:29 AM »
The p.r dept at SJU has been brutal the last few years. Even an awful Fordam program does a better job, they always have a backpage ad now in the Paper
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:21:42 AM by Marco Baldi »

Moose

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
The p.r dept at SJU has been brutal the last few years. Even an awful Fordam program does a better job, they always have a nackpage ad now in the Paper

Two different things.  PR is those ads but Sports Information put out all those releases this year about JB1, JB2, Paris, Sean, etc.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:19:52 AM »
The p.r dept at SJU has been brutal the last few years. Even an awful Fordam program does a better job, they always have a nackpage ad now in the Paper

St.John's has a PR department?

In all fairness, it's got to be a challenge to get attention playing in such an underpopulated part of the country. 

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
The p.r dept at SJU has been brutal the last few years. Even an awful Fordam program does a better job, they always have a backpage ad now in the Paper

I have no idea why Fordham is spending all this money marketing. I'd criticize Fordham for their overspending way before I would St. John's which I feel has done a tremendous job over past 5 years.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle