A Win

• 94 replies
Re: A Win
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 06:41:15 PM »
People didn't seem to mind Dunlap last year when we were in the tourney

He also wasn't acting head coach during games. Amazing assistant, doesn't really have the chops to coach these kids at the head.

But I think what gets lost in this is that these kids had to play the whole game today. A little props to them please for winning a game with 5 players.

Fair point but still very active and we ran a similar half court offense

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 07:28:22 PM »
People will complain about anything.

And people will blindly support Lavin with everything.

Im happy Steve is recovering and looking for talent to bring in....my issue with him was never about his health and not being on the court. 

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:51 AM »

Im happy Steve is recovering and looking for talent to bring in....my issue with him was never about his health and not being on the court.

It's not blind support. I support Lavin because he came here and made a losing program a winner in just a few months on the job, got us our first tournament appearance in a decade AND recruited players rated higher than any recruit we've gotten in god knows how long.

The only thing Lavin has done to hurt this program is recruiting players with eligibility issues. Apparently there are a lot of posters that thought a team with 0 D1 experience was going to be great and win 20 games. There is maybe one coach out there who would overhaul an entire roster and still go to the tourney and that would be coach Cal.

Without knowing the full extent of Lavin's health issues right now, it's not fair to criticize him for being out on the recruiting trail. If he says he doesn't have the energy to coach I believe him, I have no reason not to, and unless you were in his doctors office, you don't know what he can and can't do right now.

Some people on this board are hypocrites. They complain about the players and team we have now, and then complain when Lavin goes out on recruiting trips to get new players for next year. You can't have it both ways. That is what I meant by my original quote that people will complain about everything.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:13 AM »

It's not blind support. I support Lavin because he came here and made a losing program a winner in just a few months on the job, got us our first tournament appearance in a decade AND recruited players rated higher than any recruit we've gotten in god knows how long.

The only thing Lavin has done to hurt this program is recruiting players with eligibility issues. Apparently there are a lot of posters that thought a team with 0 D1 experience was going to be great and win 20 games. There is maybe one coach out there who would overhaul an entire roster and still go to the tourney and that would be coach Cal.

Without knowing the full extent of Lavin's health issues right now, it's not fair to criticize him for being out on the recruiting trail. If he says he doesn't have the energy to coach I believe him, I have no reason not to, and unless you were in his doctors office, you don't know what he can and can't do right now.

Some people on this board are hypocrites. They complain about the players and team we have now, and then complain when Lavin goes out on recruiting trips to get new players for next year. You can't have it both ways. That is what I meant by my original quote that people will complain about everything.

Great post!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 01:34:18 AM »
Our setbacks in rebuilding an entire roster can not be overcome this season.  It just can't.  We had some bad breaks.  Even if Lindsey stayed and all of our recruits qualified, we still would have been a few players short of the 13 ships.   Rebuilding an entire team is a daunting task.  If we can do it in 2 seasons with majority being top 80 talent, then we are in really, really good shape.  Our core of players will get invaluable experience on the court this year, and will be that much better next season.  We'll be stronger and have anoither handful of reinforcements to add.  Lavin being out is what it is.  He has cancer and I hope he has a speedy recovery.  If he gets back for big eat play we'll be fine, and his presence us important for existing kids and recruits.  Better he rests now and when he comes back it is for good.

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »
Just glad I went out to dinner and to the show Memphis with my wife after this abomination of a game to salvage my trip to the city. My annoyance is with the strat
egy of holding the ball until the last 5 seconds of the shot clock before any ergency to look for a shot which almost resulted in us blowing a 16 pt lead in the second half to an inferior opponent. Hate to say it but I might be about ready to join Illwill. poison and realfan on the dark side in that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. Good thing this post is at almost 3 am instead of right after the game because it would be alot worse. Not blaming the kids just the coaching strategy. Not impressed by Dunlap as head coach but also got to think he is just carrying out Lavin's wishes so guess I am questioning his strategy as well which is holding ball too long and then having to hoist up a bad shot. Let the kids play!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:57:36 AM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
I want Lav recruiting as much as his health will allow.   We have half a team!   It's not as if he can bring in just bench players who will never see any playing time - we're going to need some guys in this class who are Big East caliber talent!   

I'm actually much more optimistic about our 2012 class now than I was 2 weeks ago.  His last couple of interviews, especially after the Nuri departure, show that the staff is attacking the 2012 recruiting class with the full court press now.   That's the most encouraging thing I've heard from our program in months.

I am not too optimistic at all, as no point guard was mentioned in our 2012 class and we desperately need one. And with regards to the game, let me ask you all this.  If Fordham had our talent and we had theirs, do you not believe that Fordham would have beaten us by 30? Something just isn't right here.

boo3

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
  Really?  now we are deleting posts?  Lame. Really lame.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:36:10 AM by boo3 »

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »
What post was deleted..? Re-post it..!!!

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
What happened?

pmg911

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 08:53:04 AM »
Boo - be careful if you dare so a non flattering thing about a coach here. The King of the Jungle is likely to call you ignorant. I disagree on Coach Dunlap though, he has an amazing mind for the game and is doing his best in a bad situation.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »
PMG ...that is laughable.  Some people are making this board unreadable.  I'm tired of the back and forth.  Criticisms of the coach have been on this board for weeks and have not been deleted. 

The back and forth needs to stop.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 09:38:08 AM »
If lavin was healthy enough to be on the bench coaching, im sure he would.  Any criticisms of him bing out recruiting are absurd.  He is doing the max he can given his health to improve this program. 
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »

Thats sad.  Was jumpin the culprit? Someone should own up to it....
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »

Thats sad.  Was jumpin the culprit? Someone should own up to it....

It pointless to try and re create what happened because all the relevant posts were deleted. Anyone that has jumped on here during a game thread knows what I'm taking about.  As a result, this place became a ghost town and everyone went to redmen.com, even ricky smith.   I was simply trying to point out what happened and why it occurred.  Anyone with half a brain can figure it out. 

However, now the threads have been manipulated so you'll never know.

Perhaps i shouldn't have used the word dickweed to describe a poster, and for that i apologize to the board.  It won't happen again.  But for one word to cause multiple posts to disappear seems a bit much.

I won't speak for other posters, but i know I'm not the only one that feels this way regarding the game threads.  There is a way to be critical and then there is a way to be a troll.  The line is not that blurry.

PMG- I did not critique the staff.  I dig take a dig at Dunlop immediately after the game though.  I stand by it. The team looks un- inspired under his leadership.  Is it an ideal situation?  Of course not.

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
For what my opinion is worth, I think their should someone that actually participates in game day threads have some control of what is being posted. I'm not talking about opinions, but the repetitive drivel. Just a thought

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
Guttsy performance by our guys. Not preety but a won. In the end we will get worn down by mid season at this rate. 2nd half of Rutgers is going to be interesting due to major minutes and no bench. 

desco80

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
1)  I don't think criticism of Dunlap is completely unwarranted.   Since him and Lav started I've been very impressed with the defensive plan they installed.   Sure, there are games (especially early in the past two seasons) where we had trouble rotating to cover 3's in the corner, but overall I like the matchup zone, I like extending the defense to full court, and I think it's a fun defense for the kids to play, and it caters to their athleticism.  It makes sense for a variety of reasons, and when you have experienced teams playing that defense it works.  Last year our guys held teams to one of the lowest scoring avgs and fg% in the league. 
But- I can't say I've been as impressed with Dunlap/Lavin's  offense.  And that doesn't make me a Benedict Arnold.   I just think it requires a penetrating guard to be effective, and when we don't have a Hardy or Nuri on the floor the offense comes to a stand still and the guys pass the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds.

2) The game thread became a joke the other day.  I left here too because the conversation died when it became monopolized by someone bashing our own team 2 minutes into the game.  Criticism is fine but there's a way to do it without driving everyone else away from the thread.

Oh, and deleting posts is sad.   Let the rest of the community see what the problem was.   Otherwise everyone's always wondering what actually went down and who's overreacting or not.   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:59:36 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
Bigeastboards had one post wishing the team good luck before the game, and another mentioning that they had won the game.  The stupid in-fighting, without any informative or entertaining posts about basketball or the team itself, is what killed that board.

This place was the oasis that many of us ran to when that place was going up in flames.  Now, our choices are between reading about the Iona Gaels (sorry Marco) or a bunch of posts where people attack each other, or the coach for stupidly catching cancer.  There is a lack of intelligent discussion of STJ basketball lately.

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
Guttsy performance by our guys. Not preety but a won. In the end we will get worn down by mid season at this rate. 2nd half of Rutgers is going to be interesting due to major minutes and no bench. 

One game tourney yo.
Aint gonna be playin RU.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.