Louisville Game Thread

• 121 replies
Re: Louisville Game Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
Harrison showed up Harkless didn't. Harrison would appear to have a better chance to make all freshmen in the conference then Harkless.

Harrison has a set, everyone else looked soft

mkras99

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
Some odd/interesting tweets from everyone's favorite Lenn Robbins tonight. Was he taking potshots at the stjbb program or is it just me?

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »
I know most of you guys have your hearts in the right place, but these posts are embarrassing to our fan base.  Louisville is deep, talented, and big. Their roster is loaded with guys that have been playing 3,4, or 5 years.
I watch these games and I'm just giddy because this core will be filthy down the road.  I had no expectations coming in with all these first year players.

What I don't get with some of you guys is that we just last year saw how much better a team full of just mediocre talent can be as upperclassmen.

Tonight we saw a freshman score 24 points against the #11 team in the country...the same kid who is averaging 21.6 points in Big East play...a kid that will playing Big East basketball three years from now! Think about that.

-we played Louisville almost even in the second half
-we went to the line 26 times
-we shot 86% if you take out Garrett's 1-4 in his fourth college game
-we return every single minute played in this game
-every mistake made in this game was made by a player that will see it on film and be able to use it to be a better player next season
-this team will be wildly successful even if Lavin only fills the rest of the slots after Wood with juco  and transfer talent
-Harrison is a pitbull...and him, Greene, Pointer, and Garrett play hard...they freakin COMPETE and you just can't teach that
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:38:21 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
Some odd/interesting tweets from everyone's favorite Lenn Robbins tonight. Was he taking potshots at the stjbb program or is it just me?

"Lavin says he'll continue to come to some games"

This what you're talking about?

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
Marillac, Louisville was terrible tonight

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »

Caught that too...the hash tag of #stjbb next to the talk of rising metro programs sealed it for me.  To be honest tho, St. John's is taking a huge step back this season while our local counterparts ('hall, rutgers) are making strides. 

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
Why is it such a given that this core will be "filthy" down the road?  Harkless and DeAngelo I'll give you, but are Dom, GG, Greene and Garrett really guaranteed to ever develop into big time big east players? 

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
Gotta love throwing out meaningless stats in a game that wasn't close for atleast half of it...who cares that we went to the line 26 times in a blowout?  How many times did we go to the line in the first 10 mionutes when the game was still in reach?

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Why is it such a given that this core will be "filthy" down the road?  Harkless and DeAngelo I'll give you, but are Dom, GG, Greene and Garrett really guaranteed to ever develop into big time big east players?

You simply don't understand the other factors that go into a winning program.

How many other teams could win in the BE only going 7 deep? with one of those players being Malik Stith.
How many other teams could win with virtually no size? One Power Forward and a couple SF's is all we have as our "Big Men"
How many other teams could win without their head coach?
How many other teams could win with NO D1 experience (besides Stith)?

Put all of that together and we have an undersized, undermanned, inexperienced team playing without their head coach. Give LAvin a chance to fill out the roster and I guarantee you this team is leaps and bounds better. We'll add a couple big men, and a shooter, and maybe a Pg as Lavin said he plans on bringing in 5. They have shown flashes (ie providence) of potential and their pure talent level. Dunlap runs a complex defense that takes a while to fully understand and master. We saw that last year. The offense looks very bad, but that is due to a lack of leadership and a capable PG, as well as them being freshman.

Harkless and Harrison are already great as freshman. That is rare. Guys like Dom, GG, and Garrett it is clear may need to get a year under their belt. If you can't see the talent and potential in this team, and you can't see the uncontrollable things that are holding them back for the time being then I feel bad for you.

ras

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
We played on awfull 1st half tonight offensively, improved the 2nd half. We are a young ,depleted team playing a national powerhouse in a game we were supposed to lose.Things are not as bad as some posters make it out to be. With a few quality additions next year we will be tough . By the way Deangelo is my new favorite Johnny. He has an all round game and has a fire in him.

« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

How many other teams could win in the BE only going 7 deep? with one of those players being Malik Stith.
How many other teams could win with virtually no size? One Power Forward and a couple SF's is all we have as our "Big Men"

Put all of that together and we have an undersized, undermanned, inexperienced team playing without their head coach. Give LAvin a chance to fill out the roster and I guarantee you this team is leaps and bounds better. We'll add a couple big men, and a shooter, and maybe a Pg as Lavin said he plans on bringing in 5. They have shown flashes (ie providence) of potential and their pure talent level. Dunlap runs a complex defense that takes a while to fully understand and master. We saw that last year. The offense looks very bad, but that is due to a lack of leadership and a capable PG, as well as them being freshman.

Harkless and Harrison are already great as freshman. That is rare. Guys like Dom, GG, and Garrett it is clear may need to get a year under their belt. If you can't see the talent and potential in this team, and you can't see the uncontrollable things that are holding them back for the time being then I feel bad for you.

How does your post have any relevance to what you quoted from me?  You basically wasted how ever long it took you to type that.  Everyone sees how we are undermanned, undersized, etc.  There is no need to explain that again, nor does it have any relevance to my point/question.

I'll ask again- how is it a guarantee these players end up being "filthy" down the road?  Right now Sir Dom (for example) has an average to below average handle and a really shaky outside shot.  Sure, he shows glimpses and there's potential there, but again...where is the guarantee that he develops into a real player? 

These kids have talent, no doubt.  But a lot of freshman around the country have talent.  That talent doesn't always mature into big-time players.  Example- Justin Burrell. 

Also, Lavin has a track record of being a great recruiter...nobody would deny that...but right now we have one mid-level recruit for next season.  I love the optimism, but that's really all it is....hope.  What happens if Moe leaves for the NBA next season?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:04:24 PM by IllWill »

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2012, 10:08:05 PM »
With a few quality additions next year we will be tough .

This is another issue tho...where are these quality additions coming from? 

Until there are recruits signed, I think it's unfair to just assume that we will add substantial big east level talent to our "core" for next season. 

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »

How does your post have any relevance to what you quoted from me?  You basically wasted how ever long it took you to type that.  Everyone sees how we are undermanned, undersized, etc.  There is no need to explain that again, nor does it have any relevance to my point/question.

I'll ask again- how is it a guarantee these players end up being "filthy" down the road?  Right now Sir Dom (for example) has an average to below average handle and a really shaky outside shot.  Sure, he shows glimpses and there's potential there, but again...where is the guarantee that he develops into a real player? 

These kids have talent, no doubt.  But a lot of freshman around the country have talent.  That talent doesn't always mature into big-time players.  Example- Justin Burrell. 

Also, Lavin has a track record of being a great recruiter...nobody would deny that...but right now we have one mid-level recruit for next season.  I love the optimism, but that's really all it is....hope.  What happens if Moe leaves for the NBA next season?

I don't see Moe going pro after this season. I'd say he gives us at least one more year.

And, I'm more or less responding to your obvious negativity on this team in the short term and long term. You clearly have little to no faith in this team this season and beyond. I trust Lavin, we may not have anybody signed right now besides Wood, but we saw what he did last year, he'll do it again.

And sure I'll go with your word "filthy." What does that mean? All-Big East players? Just good solid starters? Not every player on the team has to be a star, we already have those in Moe and D'Angelo. Dom has the potential to be one, and I already think he is a good capable starter. He needs to fine tune his game, but he is a top notch defender and that alone earns him a spot on the court. Garrett, Greene and GG need more time to develop. It's alot to ask GG and Greene to go start at C and PG in the BE with no experience.

We don't need every player to be "filthy" we just need solid players to help out Moe and D'angelo and facilitate the offense a little bit. There is no doubt in my mind that Greene, Dom, and Garrett will be BE caliber players with some more experience; especially Dom.

DFF6

« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
BTW, Dave's prediction of the final score was off by only 2 points!  72-59 vs. 73-58.  Nice job Dave.  Wish you had been wrong.

redslope

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
Marillac, Louisville was terrible tonight

Marllac summed up my feelings.  i thought it was cold on the way to the game--didn't realize the wind chill would continue inside the Garden.  If Louisville was terrible tonight, something must have caused it besides the flooring and the rims in the Garden.

D'Angelo was gutsie again.  if he keeps it up for 4 years they may name a building after him on campus  ;)

ras

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »
[/quot    One thing I guarantee is by this time next year they ll be a lot better.

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »
You can't win a game shooting 14 FREAKING PERCENT from the field in the first half. If we would have stayed with them we could have won. Got out to an 8-3 start after 4 minutes. Where did that go?

Harrison played like a man but when Harkless and Gift are rendered useless we really will never have a chance. Dom had 5 steals and a nice dunk. I feel like that will really be Dom's role for the rest of his years here, steal the ball and drive to the lane and posterize some people.

Nothing really else to say, Louisville was there to be beaten and we couldn't hit any shots.

desco80

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »
I know most of you guys have your hearts in the right place, but these posts are embarrassing to our fan base.  Louisville is deep, talented, and big. Their roster is loaded with guys that have been playing 3,4, or 5 years.
I watch these games and I'm just giddy because this core will be filthy down the road.  I had no expectations coming in with all these first year players.

What I don't get with some of you guys is that we just last year saw how much better a team full of just mediocre talent can be as upperclassmen.

Tonight we saw a freshman score 24 points against the #11 team in the country...the same kid who is averaging 21.6 points in Big East play...a kid that will playing Big East basketball three years from now! Think about that.

-we played Louisville almost even in the second half
-we went to the line 26 times
-we shot 86% if you take out Garrett's 1-4 in his fourth college game
-we return every single minute played in this game
-every mistake made in this game was made by a player that will see it on film and be able to use it to be a better player next season
-this team will be wildly successful even if Lavin only fills the rest of the slots after Wood with juco  and transfer talent
-Harrison is a pitbull...and him, Greene, Pointer, and Garrett play hard...they freakin COMPETE and you just can't teach that

All very true Marillac.   We are talented, and we'll be better, the kids will learn, improve, and develop physically.  I have no doubt about any of that.
But the "core" of this team are not good shooters.   There's really no way around that, and I think that gives us a ceiling for the future, and significantly limits our ability to compete right now, or pull off the occasional upset.   

As good as our talent is, and will be in years ahead, I don't know that it will ever be enough to make up for the lack of shooting.   You can't score all your baskets driving to the rim.  That may work against porous defenses, but we've seen what happens against good defenses when you try to do that.   Teams that play good D, and who regularly recruit guys over 6'9, are going to deny our guys the paint and when that happens we have very few weapons offensively.   

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:41:06 PM by desco80 »

Dan

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »
I'd be more okay with this if Lavin came back.

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
anyone besides DLO realized we had a game tonite? best play was the double block by pointer/harkless.