Predictions for notable recruits

• 119 replies

boo3

Re: Predictions for notable recruits
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
 some of you people are ridiculous.

Lavin said he was bringing in a good class of 4 or 5 kids.  We have 3 in the fold already and are mentioned in top 3 with at least 4 or 5 more.  Just because you aren't getting personal, daily updates doesn't mean good things aren't happening.

This fanbase can be quite whiny at times.

MCNPA

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
I just think many here are just getting a bit nervous in anticipating the announcement of Coach's recruits for 2012.  Remember, he said we would have a top class.

As soon as the first recruit commits, we will move away from the current KA, Ricardo and Iona stuff and refocus on getting us moving in the right direction.

Once again, we already have 3 committed...

Is the ink dry?

Oh come on...  Those 3 are all ours.  We still have a few more to go, but those kids aren't going anywhere.

MCNPA

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
The only negativity is coming from fans on this site. All of the targets that have been identified in past 4=6 weeks remain on the board and these were guys that we were excited about. Lavin will get his 3-4 kids and then we have a full team for next year.

He then has a much eaiser job to do next year with just recruiting 2-3 players (same for 2014)

No one jump off a bridge yet  :)
Unfortunately I don't see any members of the press posting things like this.  In our case no news is not good news IMO.

Members of the press?  I have news for you Bobre.  Social media like Twitter and these boards IS media now.  We are on there as much as anybody else . You're used to everything in newspaper print.  Those rags are as outdated as your Encyclopedia Britannica.

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »
Moose a real Nostradamus predicting poster unrest by weekend. Come on! What happens, happens. Let it play out!

Poison

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »

Lavin said he was bringing in a good class of 4 or 5 kids.  We have 3 in the fold already and are mentioned in top 3 with at least 4 or 5 more.  Just because you aren't getting personal, daily updates doesn't mean good things aren't happening.

Forgive me for my impatience. Some might think that waiting 20 years for a BE program to get it together
qualifies as pretty damn patient.

But hey, I've waited 20 years, so what another 2 months?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:26:47 PM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »

Forgive me for my impatience. Some might think that waiting 20 years for a BE program to get it together
qualifies as pretty damn patient.

But hey, I've waited 20 years, so what another 2 months?

Exactly! Once again, we have 3 kids locked up, and in great position with 3 or 4 other good players.  Are you saying that if 3 others signed on day one of the signing period that the waiting  is over?

Great prediction Moose.  Our natives are particularly restless.

Waiting for 20 years has nothing to do with what THIS staff is trying to do.  The staff, and the fans of the program all have the same goal. Instead of constantly whining and questioning their strategy, we should support them. Negativity gets you nowhere. At least our coach has that great positive attitude, some of us should try it on for size. Lavin and company have never, in their entire careers, given anyone any reason to doubt them when it comes to recruiting.

Before someone mentions last year ( we don't nee to re- hash, do we? ), just keep in mind that in Lavin's first 2 1/4 years at the helm we have seen more talent walk through the campus doors than since Jarvis was on the sideline.

Poison- none of this is directed solely at you. I know your a great fan and supporter of the program, despite you being a peculiar fella.  ;)

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
Wow, we have 2 top 50 caliber recruits committed and people are still questioning the coach. Unbelievable. Open your eyes. Lavin ain't going anywhere, he's made that perfectly clear to recruits. Jakarr wouldn't have re-committed if he wasn't completely sure. You're just trying to perpetuate ignorant rumors thinking/posting otherwise.

Gumby

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
Yes, we have three recruits already lined up. 

I think Coach helped get us this way (mental state) with his comments on us having one of the best recruiting classes ever. We are not there yet. Right!

So we expect a bit more from the outstanding recruits.  And I am hopeful that we will land at least two of our six targeted recruits, perhaps even three.  This would fulfill Coach's statement. I believe in his ability to land those kids.

boo3

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
Coaches think all of their players are special and all of their recruiting classes great.

What are your expectations? Are you going to rate his recruiting class based off the ratings people or are we going to wait and see the kids play first? A recruiting class can only truly be evaluated after a couple of years.

Gumby

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »
Coaches think all of their players are special and all of their recruiting classes great.

What are your expectations? Are you going to rate his recruiting class based off the ratings people or are we going to wait and see the kids play first? A recruiting class can only truly be evaluated after a couple of years.

After six seasons with Coach Roberts I almost forgot what really special players and good recruiting classes were (are).

Coach did well last year, even after you consider the Rise Academy and the Nuri fiascoes, with recruiting.  Boy, was this site jumping with nine recruits last year.

With the comings and goings of players, like Moe, Nuri, Pelle, etc., it may no longer be really feasible to rank a recruiting class in two or three years.  I know you and CR  believe that, and I would too, if our recruits lasted that long.

While I am not crazy about the three or four recruiting ranking services, they are independent sources to evaluate all of the schools and how they recruited in a given season.

My expectations for the coming season are for Coach to be fully recovered and having his "A" coaching game going; our team to be both more competitive than last season; and to be fun to watch.  As far as specific recruits coming here, I will leave that to the more knowledgeable posters on this site.

Gumby

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
We need a commitment from a recruit soon. Our most recent top four posts in the Recruiting section are on players not coming to us. It will be nice to finally discuss a St. John's recruit again.

Moose

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »
We need a commitment from a recruit soon. Our most recent top four posts in the Recruiting section are on players not coming to us. It will be nice to finally discuss a St. John's recruit again.

Are you throwing a party for a recruit signing again? :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Gumby

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
Enlarged Elk,

We do not need an excuse to throw an Alumni party.  See the most recent Alumni magazine for pictures of the party we had around the KA's  commitment to UCLA time.  I would say that probably 90%+ of our Alumni have no idea of our recruits or recruiting issues.  They do know a good time when they see one.

Our next Alumni party will be in early June, so maybe by that time we can celebrate the three recruits we already have, plus a few additions.

We did enjoy the UCLA game on TV, particularly as many of us had ventured over to Pauley Pavilion last year. (Sorry, CR!)

Moose

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
Enlarged Elk,

We do not need an excuse to throw an Alumni party.  See the most recent Alumni magazine for pictures of the party we had around the KA's  commitment to UCLA time.  I would say that probably 90%+ of our Alumni have no idea of our recruits or recruiting issues.  They do know a good time when they see one.

Our next Alumni party will be in early June, so maybe by that time we can celebrate the three recruits we already have, plus a few additions.

We did enjoy the UCLA game on TV, particularly as many of us had ventured over to Pauley Pavilion last year. (Sorry, CR!)

Stretched out green thing-

I saw that picture in the magazine.  Which one are you?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
When is Coach returning?

crgreen

« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 02:53:08 AM »
Enlarged Elk,

No problem!  While some might perceive me to be in a no-win situation with that matchup the last 2 years, I've preferred to put myself in the mind set that it's been a no-lose.   Cetrainly couldn't feel bad that Lavs undermanned squad was able to beat the dysfunctional Howland squad this year.  And only felt bad about SJU losing in 2011 because they were outmanned on the court 8-5....5 Bruins and 3 Zebras.

Gumby

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
Enlarged Elk,

Stretched out green thing-

I saw that picture in the magazine.  Which one are you?

Some body had to take the pictures, as Pokey was off that day.

Any body (CR, etc.) know if the UCLA home and home series was renewed for this coming year and next.  We sure would love to see our squad go at it with KA and his super star team mates.

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
I want to make some general comments on our remaining notable recruits, not a specific comment on a single recruit.  We're getting down to the wire here, we have some options and obvious needs, yet we have only 2 open scholarships for 2012-2013 and 1 scholarship for 2013-2014.  Lavin has been loading up on guards, which is great, but our obvious remaining hole is for big men.

This is what I see.  Turner shapes the discussion, because if he wants to come to St. John's there is no way we won't bring him in.  He is just too good.  That leaves one available scholarship for 2012-2013.  If Chandler qualifies, and decides on us, he'll round things out.  That could be it.  But Lavin may have something up his sleeve for a big or even bigs from his European tour.  I think our staff likes Nolan a lot and Raffington after that.  Obekpa is still in the discussion but I am not thinking too much about him as I see him going to Cincy.

This is what I see.  If Turner is in, Wood is out for sure.  I don't see much space for Wood no matter what (even if he reclassifies).  Although some others will disagree, I don't want to see Felix B re-routed out of SJU, I want to watch him challenged in our system and grow.  I see him as a 4 year player with incredible potential down the line.

Sticking with the theme that if Turner comes here it really shapes the discussion and signings going forward, we've got ONE spot left in 2012-2013 that can be filled only 1 big body: Chandler, a European big, Nolan, Raffington, or Obekpa.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:11:35 AM by Lapchick65 »

Poison

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
I think it's Nolan. I think if Chandler wanted to be eligible, he'd have done so by now. I don't have much faith in his maturity taking him any further than the 5th grade. Nolan is athletic. Looks like a bigger version of Polee. I see Turner transferring in. Wood can go to another school. If Ruffingworth wants to pay his own way, he's welcome.

Obekpa is going to Cinci because their boosters are paying him a ton of money.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:57:22 AM by Poison »

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
Poison's response makes complete sense.  It would be great to have Turner transfer in.  I think you've hit the nail on the head re. Chandler (he won't be here), Obekpa going to Cincy, Wood not a good fit and will go elsewhere, Riffington can pay own way if he likes (unlikely he'd pay own way), which leaves us with Nolan.

The only monkey wrench in this (Turner and Nolan rounding out the last signings for 2012-2013) will be the European big or bigs possibly lingering out there.