Big Recruiting Weekend

• 93 replies

Moose

Re: Big Recruiting Weekend
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
Four seems quite excessive CR.

If its 4 we are either in trouble or celebrating a National Championship.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

Might end up being 4 after unhappy sf's and pf's fighting for playing time.

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »
hope this recruitment doesn't point to any signs of Amir having thoughts about baseball...

outside of that, losing 4 seems a little high. I could see Jakarr going, possibly D'Angelo testing, Marco transferring, and not much else.

ras

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
Doesnt make sense to me . We have 2 fine players at every position. Scholis are getting scarse. Should reserve them for studs. IE If Pelle miraculously qualifies and picks SJU. Its not that he is 7 feet tall and gives us something we dont have. Even if 4 players leave after next year ,there are a lot of  great 2013 players out there we can go after.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:50:24 PM by ras »

desco80

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »

Remember that Lavin interview on recruiting from 2 weeks ago? 

"This is where we have an advantage. Next year right now we’re only going to have one scholarship (…) unless someone goes pro early which we’re always prepared for or somebody eliminates themselves, there’s always a potential transfer, but we have the luxury now to move at a deliberate pace"

sju89tr

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
Doesnt make sense to me . We have 2 fine players at every position. Scholis are getting scarse. Should reserve them for studs. IE If Pelle miraculously qualifies and picks SJU. Its not that he is 7 feet tall and gives us something we dont have. Even if 4 players leave after next year ,there are a lot of  great 2013 players out there we can go after.

Agree, roster is pretty solid as it stands.

Save the ships, good talent out there for 13

crgreen

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »

Gift is gone for sure.  I think D'lo is as well, if he's close to last years numbers.   I think Sampson and Sanchez both have a shot to be gone after next year.  Not saying they'll be ready - but "ready" seems to have nothing to do with when kids go.   Sampson may think he fits the Harkless mold, while Sancez is an old international player - if he shows as much as I think he may, he's a possibility as well.   

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

Gift is gone for sure.  I think D'lo is as well, if he's close to last years numbers.   I think Sampson and Sanchez both have a shot to be gone after next year.  Not saying they'll be ready - but "ready" seems to have nothing to do with when kids go.   Sampson may think he fits the Harkless mold, while Sancez is an old international player - if he shows as much as I think he may, he's a possibility as well.   

When you recruit at a high level, you have to prepare for the storm that's ensues with NBA declarations etc.  if staff feels this kid is a worthwhile pickup, then I trust they know what they're doing.

pmg911

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
I think D'lo is as well, if he's close to last years numbers

I think Harriosn will be a GREAT player for St. John's but he doesn't have much of a shot right of seeing the NBA. He , can barely defend his position in college now. imagine him going up against some of the 6'6 athletic freak off guards in the NBA.

desco80

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves with predictions of Jakarr or Sanchez going pro.   

And I may be the only one, but I also don't think nba gms will be falling over themselves to draft D'angelo.

If we lose 2 guys to the NBA next year.... we've probably had a our best season in a long time.   

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
Like my grams say, if a man's got a day job, then why he workin the nights?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

sju89tr

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »

That is what I thought as well after reading your post.

I do feel Sanchez is a one and done based on his age.

D Lo I see staying for no less than 3 years.

Jakarr won't have the ;luxury of Moe's stats so I think he stays 2 years.

We should have one extra ship available to recruit 2 next year in addition to Wood. 

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
There's always Europe for D'lo.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
Well now it appears next year we will lose everybody except Gene Keady, according to our gurus. Come on, let's have a great season, get the program back to self sustaining status and let the chips fall where they may. Geez!,

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
I don't see anyone going to the NBA after this year. I don't think Jakarr will be able to dominate like Harkless did as a freshman. Also, not nervous at all about Sanchez jumping.

D'lo is not getting drafted.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:37:44 PM by redstorm212 »

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:26 PM »
Well now it appears next year we will lose everybody except Gene Keady, according to our gurus. Come on, let's have a great season, get the program back to self sustaining status and let the chips fall where they may. Geez!,

LOL

crgreen gpt us all scared

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
Gift...Graduates
Amir...Cinncinnati Reds...Reds could force him to choose pro ball, they have alot invested with the bonus.
D'Lo...Puts up same numbers or improves, he could make coin in Europe or anywhere in the world for that matter.
?...Does Obekpa split after a year if guaranteed a 1st round pick? Does JaKarr see himself as the heir to Moe and be one-and-done if also guaranteed 1st round pick?

Four schollies is very conceivable.

Moose

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »
Gift...Graduates
Amir...Cinncinnati Reds...Reds could force him to choose pro ball, they have alot invested with the bonus.
D'Lo...Puts up same numbers or improves, he could make coin in Europe or anywhere in the world for that matter.
?...Does Obekpa split after a year if guaranteed a 1st round pick? Does JaKarr see himself as the heir to Moe and be one-and-done if also guaranteed 1st round pick?

Four schollies is very conceivable.

The Reds bonus is split over 4 years.  That was the crux of the contract when they agreed.  He's not even past extended spring training yet.  Lets not put the cart before the horse.

Obekpa 1st round? No way.

And as someone mentioned all numbers will be suppressed with more bodies, less minutes in many cases and less shots.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:20:38 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
St Johns fans. We complain when we don't have enough players and can barely field a team.

Then once we get a stacked roster we start worrying about some players we have never even seen play in person yet in our minds leaving after a year to go to the nba or other players leaving early to go play major league baseball or leaving early to go to Europe to play in kazakhstan

paultzman

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
St Johns fans. We complain when we don't have enough players and can barely field a team.

Then once we get a stacked roster we start worrying about some players we have never even seen play in person yet in our minds leaving after a year to go to the nba or other players leaving early to go play major league baseball or leaving early to go to Europe to play in kazakhstan

MJ, Thanks for a sane response to this nonsense. I was just about to have a heroin sandwich! What a group!