Notre Dame leaving Big East

• 53 replies

desco80

Re: Notre Dame leaving Big East
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
Can't blame ND.  BE is a mess, and ACC is stable and gives ND a natural partner if they ever need to join a conference in football.  Academics are right in line with ACC, and ACC's strength of other sports goes along with ND too.

Why ACC over B10 though?  From the sounds of it they wanted to focus on East Coast cities and not random midwest areas.

Don't underestimate the academic angle here.  The ACC has something like 6 schools inside US News top 50 schools: Duke, Virginia, UNC, Wake forest, BC and Miami.  I believe that is more then any BCS conference.  And they don't have any tier 3 schools.

I don't know anything about it but I thought Big 10 always raved about their top education schools.

I think it makes sense from an academic standpoint.. to a certain degree

But I've read ND preferred the ACC because that's where it's alumni base is.   Notre Dame might be in South Bend, but it's alumni live on the East Coast.   From Boston to NY to DC to Fla you find tons of Notre Dame alums.   They don't live in Nebraska, Iowa and Ohio.   It's why ND plays neutral site games at the Meadowlands and in DC. 

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Was feelin a bit optimistic about the BE when we got the new commish.

I saw stability comin in the form of a lucrative NBC/Comcast contract plus enacting a ridiculously-high exit fee.

The fear is not ND leavin. The fear is this starts a avalanche effect as in more will leave and soon.

Perhaps its time to dismantle and move on.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
Rothstein offers an idiotic suggestion!

“@JonRothstein: Here's a thought for the Big East. Invite Fordham and have them play all home games in the Barclays Center. Another NYC team helps branding.”

Tom Pecora's rear end......Mint!

Love Zach. Shame Post is dropping HS coverage. Love the comment;

“@NYPost_Brazille: As usual @JonRothstein reaching with his Fordham to Big East idea. His comparisons make more sense.”

desco80

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
Rothstein offers an idiotic suggestion!

“@JonRothstein: Here's a thought for the Big East. Invite Fordham and have them play all home games in the Barclays Center. Another NYC team helps branding.”

Tom Pecora's rear end......Mint!

That is an awful idea.    Fordham would draw 500 people in Brooklyn.   

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »

I saw stability comin in the form of a lucrative NBC/Comcast contract plus enacting a ridiculously-high exit fee.

The fear is not ND leavin. The fear is this starts a avalanche effect as in more will leave and soon.

Tend to agree

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »
“@DavidHaugh: Notre Dame's ACC move smart under circumstances. Big 10 demanded football too -- a non-starter for ND. Big East dying. ACC, region growing.”

Yeah the Big Ten of course wants ND for football.  That's the point, they have the built-in midwest rivalries already playing Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St every year and on and off rivalries with Penn St, Northwestern, Ohio St etc.  Always made geographical sense.

Also apparently the Big 10 television network has the potential to be even more lucrative for Notre Dame then ND's own contract with NBC for football.  Not sure I believe that but that is what the Big 10 tried to sell and ND said no to football and the Big 10 said go away then.

And I do not want to disparage the Big 10 academically, they have some very good schools-Northwestern, Michigan etc.  No doubt.

DFF6

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »

I think the avalanche is coming too, with UConn and Louisville the clear next candidates to leave.  If BE basketball is going to stay relevant, I think it needs to recreate the brand along the lines of all the high major, non-football schools banding together to form a super conference like Moose and others have suggested.   

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »

I think the avalanche is coming too, with UConn and Louisville the clear next candidates to leave.  If BE basketball is going to stay relevant, I think it needs to recreate the brand along the lines of all the high major, non-football schools banding together to form a super conference like Moose and others have suggested.   

Supportive article by someone respected;

“@friarblog: Great piece by @KevinMcNamara33 on future of BIG EAST http://t.co/GlXMKygb #pcbb”

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »
Honestly I don't see any easy answers.   The Big East as we've known it won't exist in 2 years.   It was always been a league making small transitions; but now it's lost it's panache.   There's no pride and confidence in the league anymore.   Everyone is trying to jump ship.    I have no doubt that if Louisville or UCONN can, they will. 

And that's, well... just sad.    I love St Johns basketball, but being a fan of college sports is becoming less enjoyable every year.

wow...."panache".  takes me back to my youth watching the odd couple.  for you kiddies out there, that was a tv show back when we had thirteen channels, and had to actually get up to turn the "dial".  i remember when brooklyn wasn't zoned for cable yet, and we had to sneak into a bar to watch Mullin play.  of course there were no picture id's back then, and you could go clubbing at fifteen.  nobody cared.  thanks for the memories desco.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Honestly I don't see any easy answers.   The Big East as we've known it won't exist in 2 years.   It was always been a league making small transitions; but now it's lost it's panache.   There's no pride and confidence in the league anymore.   Everyone is trying to jump ship.    I have no doubt that if Louisville or UCONN can, they will. 

And that's, well... just sad.    I love St Johns basketball, but being a fan of college sports is becoming less enjoyable every year.

wow...."panache".  takes me back to my youth watching the odd couple.  for you kiddies out there, that was a tv show back when we had thirteen channels, and had to actually get up to turn the "dial".  i remember when brooklyn wasn't zoned for cable yet, and we had to sneak into a bar to watch Mullin play.  of course there were no picture id's back then, and you could go clubbing at fifteen.  nobody cared.  thanks for the memories desco.

The funniest part is I think Desco is like 30 yrs old haha
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
Well really there were 8 channels since there was nothing on 3, 6, 8, 10 and 12, though on LI you could get 3 and 8 from Connecticut.  LOL  UHF barely counts in adding to the totals unless you were watching Uncle Floyd. 

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Additional interesting perspective on future of BE with SJU reference;

“@tsnmike: My column on Notre Dame to the ACC: It’s no death knell to the Big East Conference, and more  - http://t.co/oezqJk0L””

dR3w

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
I hate to be the last rat off the ship, but I guess it is better than drowning  ... if it happened.

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
“@McMurphyESPN: ACC will not go to 16 teams in hoops, sources tell @ESPN. Notre Dame will be league's last addition”

desco80

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

The funniest part is I think Desco is like 30 yrs old haha

Right you are haha

edit:  good times though Stormwarning, it's nice reading you reminisce.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:31:28 PM by desco80 »

LJSA

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
UHF barely counts in adding to the totals unless you were watching Uncle Floyd. 

Larry Zbyszko's favorite TV show.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
If St. John's is offered a spot in the ACC they better take it. The Big East is close to being done. Got to look out for our own best interest. None of those other schools were loyal why should we be.

wpc77

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
I heard that SJU considered joining the ACC, about a half a year ago, by using the Garden as a chip for future conference tournaments.  But that is an extremely hard proposition and one which is obviously not in SJU's control, but on which they have influence.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:25:06 PM by wpc77 »

Moose

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
I know that SJU has tried to join the ACC by using the Garden as a chip for future conference tournaments.  But that is an extremely hard proposition and one which is obviously not in SJU's control, but on which they have influence.

Thats a fact?
Remember who broke the Slice news

wpc77

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
From what I heard, it was discussed half a year ago.  Not sure where it stands now.  I'll edit accordingly