Tip Off Dinner

• 11 replies

Moose

Tip Off Dinner
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
Here is Boomer and Carton talking about it this morning.

http://nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d1/dC/dE/dJ/11CEJ_3.MP3
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

Re: Tip Off Dinner
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Moose. Sounds like it was a great night. St.John's basketball should do something too. You know, to get people excited for the start of the season :)

Moose

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Moose. Sounds like it was a great night. St.John's basketball should do something too. You know, to get people excited for the start of the season :)

I'll pass on word.  Maybe they can get an awesome night together where all our fans can drop $20 or $25.  I'm sure it can be an open bar, apps, and top of the line talent can host.

Oh and a great location I'm sure :)

Poison

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »

I'll pass on word.  Maybe they can get an awesome night together where all our fans can drop $20 or $25.  I'm sure it can
be an open bar, apps, and top of the line talent can host.

This event is like if the Mets were to offer fans the chance to meet Don Mattingly at Mets FanFest. It's a head scratcher.

You jest, but I don't know one St.John's fan that gives a rats ass about Rick Barry. Not to mention Boomer and Carton.
Make it $50, and invite Lavor Postell, Bootsy Thornton, Ty Grant, David Cain, Lamont Middleton, Mitchell Foster, Jason Buchanon, Chucky Sproling, Marcus Hatten, Darryl Hill and any one of our alumni players to Stout, or a similar establishment.

$1000 is steep, but if they want a hand out, I'd rather they just ask for it, instead of dressing it up with irrelevant players, and guys like Carton, who laugh at our program on the air. But that's just my IMO.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:54:47 AM by Poison »

sju89tr

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

I'll pass on word.  Maybe they can get an awesome night together where all our fans can drop $20 or $25.  I'm sure it can

This event is like if the Mets were to offer fans the chance to meet Don Mattingly at Mets FanFest. It's a head scratcher.

You jest, but I don't know one St.John's fan that gives a rats ass about Rick Barry. Not to mention Boomer and Carton.
Make it $50, and invite Lavor Postell, Bootsy Thornton, Ty Grant, David Cain, Lamont Middleton, Mitchell Foster, Jason Buchanon, Chucky Sproling, Marcus Hatten, Darryl Hill and any one of our alumni players to Stout, or a similar establishment.

$1000 is steep, but if they want a hand out, I'd rather they just ask for it, instead of dressing it up with irrelevant players, and guys like Carton, who laugh at our program on the air. But that's just my IMO.

Our past players aren't going to draw the corporate types that we will wish to drop big bucks. Rick Barry although not of interest to many will bring in notable alumni who donate big bucks to the university. If you do it your way you would have to bring in 20 people to bring in the same 1k.

I agree it is steep and I would never spend that type of money for an event like this.

It wouldn't hurt if the school also did a lower end type function as you suggested near the campus and I bet a lot of people would show up to meet and greet with guys like Felipe Lopez and Ty Grant who are local.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »

Our past players aren't going to draw the corporate types that we will wish to drop big bucks. Rick Barry although not of interest to many will bring in notable alumni who donate big bucks to the university. If you do it your way you would have to bring in 20 people to bring in the same 1k.

I agree it is steep and I would never spend that type of money for an event like this.

It wouldn't hurt if the school also did a lower end type function as you suggested near the campus and I bet a lot of people would show up to meet and greet with guys like Felipe Lopez and Ty Grant who are local.

All true, except I think Mark Jackson would draw. I don't know why we never see him. He's a head coach now, but even before then, it was rare.
You'd think he'd drop by at least once a year. Have not seen him in ages. Action Jackson would be huge. What's he 3rd all time in the league in assists?

In addition, I think my more reasonable St.John's event would do more for season ticket sales, and overall sales. That's important, too.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
They had something similar to what is being suggested during FF days at Alumni Hall-don't remember cost (maybe was 50 or 100 bucks) where they sold  memorabilia, had picture   taking with players (had mine taken with Ron Artest), speakers and an address by Fran F. Also met Francessa who big timed me and basically blew me off even though we both attended St Vincent's College and graduated the same year. Something similar would be a great idea especially with the uber personable Steve Lavin as our coach.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:03:17 PM by Celtics11 »

Moose

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
There were 150 ppl there last night.  1k a head and the program just made nice coin.

If you recall they had low priced (15-20 bucks) pre game meet ups prior to a couple games early last year.  Got you a free drink and apps.  Barely anyone showed.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »

If the university did something that resembled what you put forth at CA or Taffner and charged $50 per (buffet and 1 drink, for example) do you think 500 people would attend and raise $25K for the program (before costs).

Poison

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »

If the university did something that resembled what you put forth at CA or Taffner and charged $50 per (buffet and 1 drink, for example) do you think 500 people would attend and raise $25K for the program (before costs).

Nope. Not a chance. Creating the event that they did was the right call if raising money was their only goal. Personally I would like to see a St.John's basketball event. The St.John's name had no place anywhere near that event. I feel sorry for the people too stupid to realize that, or too bored to do something else w their evening.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
You jest, but I don't know one St.John's fan that gives a rats ass about Rick Barry.

Here's one.  My all-time favorite pros are Barry, Julius Erving and Chris.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
You jest, but I don't know one St.John's fan that gives a rats ass about Rick Barry.

Here's one.  My all-time favorite pros are Barry, Julius Erving and Chris.

Great. So go see him at Warriors FanFest. He didn't play here.