Gift May Red Shirt

• 74 replies
Re: Gift May Red Shirt
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
What throws me for a loss is why Marco & Sanchez cant play right now.

If the question for Marco is  only does he have 2 or 3 years remaining...
play now & so what if you find out in Dec that he only has 2 years ?

I'm confused ?
Molloy '71

jr49

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
This will be Lavin's 3rd full recruiting class; if he has an extra scholarship available for next season he should be able to find a better post player than Gift.   
In year 1 when we needed to overturn the entire roster, and then we faced elidgibility concerns, it was a different story.

Not now.   

If u like the idea that a student athlete exists, let Gift call it. He did the work.

Obekpa is the starter going forward, and if faced with the choice of bringing back Gift or getting an extra scholarship to use; I would hope we choose the latter.

Gift is better than most freshmen post players on the lard for 2013 and likely most JC post guys.  Gift has contributed and pretty solidly at this level already.  I think you're off on this one.  Gift is the perfect guy to have backup up the post next year and will be hard to match for most newcomers.

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
I like Double G.  He plays hard/hustles.  Plays all-world against pre-conference opponent.  Plus I like the prayer hand gesture when he goes to the line.

He was smiling on the bench and seemed to be taking the run-around he's getting very well.

I hope he plays this year.

LJSA

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 12:36:18 AM »
He was smiling on the bench and seemed to be taking the run-around he's getting very well.

An extra year to get better and extra year of free school for our best student? I doubt he thinks of it as a run-around.

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 02:53:43 AM »

An extra year to get better and extra year of free school for our best student? I doubt he thinks of it as a run-around.

Perhaps "run-around" is a poor choice of words.  How about "dissed"?

crgreen

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 04:45:05 AM »

Knowing Coach Lavin, when they say it's been discussed, they mean WITH the player.   No way I see coach forcing a kid to sit out who wasn't agreeable to it.   What is the value of  1 year of  graduate education at St. Johns?   I'm guessing it's a pretty sizable amount - more than Gift could probably make by playing this year and collecting a euro/asian/african paycheck next year THEN trying to come back for his graduate work....

LJSA

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2012, 06:29:36 AM »

Knowing Coach Lavin, when they say it's been discussed, they mean WITH the player.   No way I see coach forcing a kid to sit out who wasn't agreeable to it.   What is the value of  1 year of  graduate education at St. Johns?   I'm guessing it's a pretty sizable amount - more than Gift could probably make by playing this year and collecting a euro/asian/african paycheck next year THEN trying to come back for his graduate work....

Also, he may have more than one year of grad school under his belt by the time his eligibility expires. I think he's taken summer classes in each of the summers he was affiliated with St. John's, meaning it's possible he graduates in December and could start grad school second semester. Add next summer classes to that assuming grad courses are available in summer, and he comes close to his MBA at the end of next season. And he gets to work on his post moves this year against Obekpa in practice. I think it's a smart move for everyone. Now we just need the NCAA to give Sanchez one damn year and everything will be just dandy.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
Gift is an admirable person from all accounts, but..

He was not very good last season.

He's not good enough to be a big part of the game plan for this season.

Why would we want him playing next season? 

It does make sense for him, I don't deny the value of an extra year of grad school, that's good stuff for the player.   But I don't see how this helps the basketball team.    Even if Sanchez leaves, we still have Obekpa as the starting Center and plenty of power forwards on the roster.   Go use his scholarship to recruit a backup for Obekpa who will also be here for 4 years.   I don't even deny that next year an average recruit is probably worse than Gift would be as a supersenior, but  1) it'll be in a backup roll, and 2) that player will be a sophomore the year after, and so on.   
We're prolonging the inevitable here.   
The staff didn't even start Gift when we had no other center on the roster.    They don't think he's integral this year.   Why do we keep going back to the well?

crgreen

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
Gift is an admirable person from all accounts, but..

He was not very good last season.

The staff didn't even start Gift when we had no other center on the roster.

Yes, he was only the 3rd leading scorer, and 2nd leading rebounder, and  leader in FG% on the team last year.   :)

And yes after starting him 18 games last year, Dunlap DID replace him in the starting lineup, electing to use the  #15 player in the NBA draft as the nominal starting 5 - but still playing Gift over 25 minutes a game.

Tiznow

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
Gift will be a more effective player coming off the bench playing less minutes than he had to play last season.  He had to play too many minutes last season going against the front courts of the BE.  It's a bit unfair to knock him or any of the players with what they were asked to do last season.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 08:32:28 PM »
Gift will be a more effective player coming off the bench playing less minutes than he had to play last season.  He had to play too many minutes last season going against the front courts of the BE.  It's a bit unfair to knock him or any of the players with what they were asked to do last season.

The knock is on St.John's University for not putting a full roster out there. Hopefully, they do not repeat their mistake.

Tiznow

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »
I agree - The prior staff gets most of that blame for not balancing out the classes.

NYCoffey

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »
Saw on zags twitter that gift is still redshirting but Felix will probably play this year. Makes me think Marco is good and they are not so positive on Sanchez. Which is fine except for the fact that we tied up a schollie on someone that will never touch the court. Hopefully I'm wrong but I switched camps to the "orlando won't play" camp.

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
gift is an outstanding athlete who will greatly benefit from another year of professional coaching.  it's a great move for him and st john's.

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
Saw on zags twitter that gift is still redshirting but Felix will probably play this year. Makes me think Marco is good and they are not so positive on Sanchez. Which is fine except for the fact that we tied up a schollie on someone that will never touch the court. Hopefully I'm wrong but I switched camps to the "orlando won't play" camp.
Don't understand your logic as GG and Sanchez are bigs and Marco and Felix are guards so if they were less positive on Sanchez, GG would be the guy you replace him with not Felix.

NYCoffey

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
thats because my logic makes no sense. Well at least they still may feel that there is a chance that Sanchez will play if GG is out.

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »
thats because my logic makes no sense. Well at least they still may feel that there is a chance that Sanchez will play if GG is out.

LOL...great quality to laugh at oneself

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
Doesn't his GPA help the team average also :uglystupid2:
Why not keep him around we have enough issues with eligibility :buck2:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:29:19 PM by illscalpya4000 »

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
I think the staff really feels that GG has skills that will be developed with an additional year and help him with a future pro career.  That is a commendable position.

crgreen

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »
I think the staff really feels that GG has skills that will be developed with an additional year and help him with a future pro career.  That is a commendable position.

Keeping in mind "pro career" doesn't have to include the NBA...I think Gift is easily the equivalent of former Lavin  big Travis Reed - who tho an undersized college 5 at 6'7, has gone on to a long and successful (and very lucrative) Overseas career.   Currently getting 21 pts 9 rebs for Rockhampton in the Austrailian League.    http://www.australiabasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=AUS&PlayerID=39252&AmNotSure=1