Around Big East

• 3954 replies

sju89tr

Re: around the big east
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Crazy idea but it would be nice to do a pre season 8 team tournament perhaps every other year and invite Cuse Louisville Notre Dame Pitt Rutgers Miami West Va along with St Johns. It could be a real money maker.   

Won't happen because its rare that two teams from the same conference play in a tournament.

That is definitely true

Mike

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
Again, the matchup benefits both SJU and SU.  Building an even greater rivalry with that dirtbag school and filling the garden is great for assuring our future and recruiting circles.  This is a brave new world with respect to the new conference and having a built-in matchup that packs the Garden and gives us an edge is excellent.  It is also great for our relationship with the Garden and encouraging that playing us there is in demand. 

It is simply good business and no good programs should ditch a game that fills the place.  I hate Syracuse as much as anyone but I'd rather pack the Garden and actually start beating them for a change.  Make it like the UNC vs Duke rivalry.  Plenty of bad blood there but in that one it is a two-sided matchup.  We need to make it so.

How does it benefit us besides a 'sold out' building?

If you don't see it, I can't explain it any further Moose.  It fills the building, pays the bills, is an intra-state rivalry and has recruiting implications.  There are a lot more negatives to canceling a potentially yearly matchup. 

I told you how many times the bills were paid just fine drawing 6k while Norm was coach.  Doesn't take much to break even.  I don't see the point in allowing a team that has tormented us and called themselves NY's team another chance to play in MSG every year.  Lord knows they will probably get a game there anyway. 

So many posters kicked and screamed when they left yet these same posters are bending over the table and oh so willing to allow them right back in.

Like you said they will most likely play a game there every year anyways, so that game should be against St. John's. In order to remove that NY's team title from them is by playing them and beating them.

Moose

« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »
Again, the matchup benefits both SJU and SU.  Building an even greater rivalry with that dirtbag school and filling the garden is great for assuring our future and recruiting circles.  This is a brave new world with respect to the new conference and having a built-in matchup that packs the Garden and gives us an edge is excellent.  It is also great for our relationship with the Garden and encouraging that playing us there is in demand. 

It is simply good business and no good programs should ditch a game that fills the place.  I hate Syracuse as much as anyone but I'd rather pack the Garden and actually start beating them for a change.  Make it like the UNC vs Duke rivalry.  Plenty of bad blood there but in that one it is a two-sided matchup.  We need to make it so.

If you don't see it, I can't explain it any further Moose.  It fills the building, pays the bills, is an intra-state rivalry and has recruiting implications.  There are a lot more negatives to canceling a potentially yearly matchup. 

I told you how many times the bills were paid just fine drawing 6k while Norm was coach.  Doesn't take much to break even.  I don't see the point in allowing a team that has tormented us and called themselves NY's team another chance to play in MSG every year.  Lord knows they will probably get a game there anyway. 

So many posters kicked and screamed when they left yet these same posters are bending over the table and oh so willing to allow them right back in.

Like you said they will most likely play a game there every year anyways, so that game should be against St. John's. In order to remove that NY's team title from them is by playing them and beating them.

You think they are just going to stop at 1 game vs. us?  They are going to get another game against a premier team (ie Duke, etc).  Forget them already.  I'm amazed how many people are so attached to an original team that pretty much hammered the final nail in BE coffin.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Mike

« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »

You think they are just going to stop at 1 game vs. us?  They are going to get another game against a premier team (ie Duke, etc).  Forget them already.  I'm amazed how many people are so attached to an original team that pretty much hammered the final nail in BE coffin.

I'm more concerned with taking the NY team title away from Cuse and in order to do that you must play them.

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »

Yep. They will absolutely use MSG as a neutral site to appease their NYC alums - with or without us. So, why give them multiple appearances.

Moose

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »

I'm more concerned with taking the NY team title away from Cuse and in order to do that you must play them.

We cant beat Asheville your asking for Cuse

Chilleb

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
If your not already watching providence and brown your missing a good one brown up 1 with 7 seconds left

Chilleb

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
Brown wins! The kid tucker halpern hits 8 3's

Mike

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »

Yes I am, do you think we are "Doomed" ;)

Moose

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »

I do

Mike

« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »

I do

Well I guess we should move to the MAAC or American East then. ;)

Moose

« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »

I do

Every conference needs a doormat.  No need to move

Mike

« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »

I do

Every conference needs a doormat.  No need to move

You could be right never know

« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Damn moose, why so gloomy?

« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:27 PM »
Weird seeing oriakhi in a Missouri uniform
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »
We have nothing to gain by playing Syracuse. Losing to them gives credibility to their obnoxious "New York's College Team" line. Obnoxious, but spot on. They chose to leave. That opens the door for us. W out SU in the BE Tourney, we have a chance to take back NY. Playing them jeopardizes that IMO.

If we want to play big time programs at MSG, schedule Kentucky, Kansas, NC, Arizona, Florida etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:45:12 AM by Poison »

sju89tr

« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »
We have nothing to gain by playing Syracuse. Losing to them gives credibility to their obnoxious "New York's College Team" line. Obnoxious, but spot on. They chose to leave. That opens the door for us. W out SU in the BE Tourney, we have a chance to take back NY. Playing them jeopardizes that IMO.

If we want to play big time programs at MSG, schedule Kentucky, Kansas, NC, Arizona, Florida etc.

I would rather not play them either because having them play in NYC benefits them as much as us but finances for the program with a sold out garden is important. With the move to a new conference it is crucial to get home and home deals with great programs to fill our arena. It is crucial for recruiting to tell kids you will play Kentucky Kansas Florida UNC Duke etc in your career at St Johns.   

Mike

« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

I would rather not play them either because having them play in NYC benefits them as much as us but finances for the program with a sold out garden is important. With the move to a new conference it is crucial to get home and home deals with great programs to fill our arena. It is crucial for recruiting to tell kids you will play Kentucky Kansas Florida UNC Duke etc in your career at St Johns.   

Sorry Ted, but IMO I would rather have Cuse than Florida in that list.

If UNC ever left the ACC do you think Duke would not schedule them?? We need to play the best, it's just that one of the best team is in the same state. St. John's needs to show everyone that they can compete and beat Cuse. If we don't schedule them we will IMO always be 2nd best in the state, at least until they fall on their face.

Moose

« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

Sorry Ted, but IMO I would rather have Cuse than Florida in that list.

If UNC ever left the ACC do you think Duke would not schedule them?? We need to play the best, it's just that one of the best team is in the same state. St. John's needs to show everyone that they can compete and beat Cuse. If we don't schedule them we will IMO always be 2nd best in the state, at least until they fall on their face.

UNC and Duke are 6 miles apart.  We're 6 hours from Cuse.

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

I'm for playing the best programs in the country year in and year out. As much as I hate them, Syracuse fits that category.

I don't know when it will happen, but I'm looking forward to the time when I can walk out of MSG and mock Cuse fans all the way to Penn Station. I've experienced it all too much these last 15 years and it'll be fun repaying the favor.