Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Moose

Re: around the big east
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
We have nothing to gain by playing Syracuse. Losing to them gives credibility to their obnoxious "New York's College Team" line. Obnoxious, but spot on. They chose to leave. That opens the door for us. W out SU in the BE Tourney, we have a chance to take back NY. Playing them jeopardizes that IMO.

If we want to play big time programs at MSG, schedule Kentucky, Kansas, NC, Arizona, Florida etc.

I'm for playing the best programs in the country year in and year out. As much as I hate them, Syracuse fits that category.

I don't know when it will happen, but I'm looking forward to the time when I can walk out of MSG and mock Cuse fans all the way to Penn Station. I've experienced it all too much these last 15 years and it'll be fun repaying the favor.

That time might never happen.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
We have nothing to gain by playing Syracuse. Losing to them gives credibility to their obnoxious "New York's College Team" line. Obnoxious, but spot on. They chose to leave. That opens the door for us. W out SU in the BE Tourney, we have a chance to take back NY. Playing them jeopardizes that IMO.

If we want to play big time programs at MSG, schedule Kentucky, Kansas, NC, Arizona, Florida etc.

I'm for playing the best programs in the country year in and year out. As much as I hate them, Syracuse fits that category.

I don't know when it will happen, but I'm looking forward to the time when I can walk out of MSG and mock Cuse fans all the way to Penn Station. I've experienced it all too much these last 15 years and it'll be fun repaying the favor.

Very pessimistic thinking here.

While it's true we most likely will never be a program like Syracuse, it's extremely pessimistic to say we can't compete with them year in and year out. We're in good hands with Lavin, as much as it may not feel like it right now. If we continue to recruit like this, we will be a solid top 50 program year in and year out, and the occasional top 25 season, which any St. John's fan should be happy with. And so far there is nothing that says Lavin can't continue to recruit this level of talent.

jr49

« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
Again, the matchup benefits both SJU and SU.  Building an even greater rivalry with that dirtbag school and filling the garden is great for assuring our future and recruiting circles.  This is a brave new world with respect to the new conference and having a built-in matchup that packs the Garden and gives us an edge is excellent.  It is also great for our relationship with the Garden and encouraging that playing us there is in demand. 

It is simply good business and no good programs should ditch a game that fills the place.  I hate Syracuse as much as anyone but I'd rather pack the Garden and actually start beating them for a change.  Make it like the UNC vs Duke rivalry.  Plenty of bad blood there but in that one it is a two-sided matchup.  We need to make it so.

How does it benefit us besides a 'sold out' building?

If you don't see it, I can't explain it any further Moose.  It fills the building, pays the bills, is an intra-state rivalry and has recruiting implications.  There are a lot more negatives to canceling a potentially yearly matchup. 

I told you how many times the bills were paid just fine drawing 6k while Norm was coach.  Doesn't take much to break even.  I don't see the point in allowing a team that has tormented us and called themselves NY's team another chance to play in MSG every year.  Lord knows they will probably get a game there anyway. 

So many posters kicked and screamed when they left yet these same posters are bending over the table and oh so willing to allow them right back in.

Like you said they will most likely play a game there every year anyways, so that game should be against St. John's. In order to remove that NY's team title from them is by playing them and beating them.

You think they are just going to stop at 1 game vs. us?  They are going to get another game against a premier team (ie Duke, etc).  Forget them already.  I'm amazed how many people are so attached to an original team that pretty much hammered the final nail in BE coffin.

I'm more concerned with taking the NY team title away from Cuse and in order to do that you must play them.

We cant beat Asheville your asking for Cuse
Mr. Moose, you musta had high hopes after we lost to the Bonnies and Rams. We really won't know where this program is going for a while. No way we should be getting to nuts or to smart. I do know there are programs out there that would be sky high if good teams would actually give em a home game. Best case is we beat em up at MSG and refuse to go up there.

paultzman

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
“@ESPNAndyKatz: Source: UConn will announce a new five-year deal for Kevin Ollie at a 5 p.m. news conference. Ollie was given a 7-month deal initially.”

boo3

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
 Moose is on a mission to prove he isn't a friend fan anymore.   Lol.   Bring back the old Moose.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
I think it is very possible to be like cuse again we were once. The difference is is that they had a great coach for the last 30yrs and we had a revolving door of coaches since Louie left. If we can't compete with an upstate school in the middle of nowhere then honesty shame on us...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
middle of nowhere schools are tough to beat.  they usually have a large campus with a big student following who live away from home.  so they have a real party environment.  nothing else to do besides going to the game and party in the dorms.  and, as far as the locals are concerned, there are no professional teams to compete with.  new york will always be a pro town.  tough for st johns to beat out the knicks for the back page.  it has happened...especially during the glory years.  but unless we do something special, its easy for us to get overlooked.

gman

« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »
Lville just knocked off Kentucky by 3. They built a huge lead but let uk back in. The cards look damn good.

« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
winnin cures all.
puts fans in the seats.
puts us on the back page.
puts us on the top of sports center.
puts money in the program.
we had a taste two year ago.
hope y'all remember what it was like.
glory.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
winnin cures all.
puts fans in the seats.
puts us on the back page.
puts us on the top of sports center.
puts money in the program.
we had a taste two year ago.
hope y'all remember what it was like.
glory.

I remember, we are good once every 10 years.

MCNPA

« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
Lville just knocked off Kentucky by 3. They built a huge lead but let uk back in. The cards look damn good.

Yeah, and SJU not scheduling Cuse would be like UK not scheduling Louisville because Pitino was a traitor.  We play these games like SJU vs Cuse for one reason and that is that people attend to see the game.  It's the game New Yorkers want to see and that is evidenced by the ticket sales.  Who cares whether it is more Cuse fans.  If that is the case, then more SJU fans need to go out and buy blocks of seats.  No excuses.  We need to schedule Cuse because it is the game that New Yorkers whether metro area or upstat fans, want to see...  It helps our recruiting as much or more than theirs.  We just need to start competing with them and we will. 

Poison

« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »

Yeah, and SJU not scheduling Cuse would be like UK not scheduling Louisville because Pitino was a traitor.  We play these games like SJU vs Cuse for one reason and that is that people attend to see the game.  It's the game New Yorkers want to see and that is evidenced by the ticket sales.  Who cares whether it is more Cuse fans.  If that is the case, then more SJU fans need to go out and buy blocks of seats.  No excuses.  We need to schedule Cuse because it is the game that New Yorkers whether metro area or upstat fans, want to see...  It helps our recruiting as much or more than theirs.  We just need to start competing with them and we will. 

A dose of reality. SJ fans have no heart. The hint of bad season means an empty arena. We saw it in Brooklyn.

« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »

If we do, we need to promote the game to alumni and try to minimize the # of tickets available to Syracuse fans...Let them buy tickets at inflated prices

Moose

« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
Moose is on a mission to prove he isn't a friend fan anymore.   Lol.   Bring back the old Moose.

Yeah its funny I'm either Lavin's lover or too pessimistic.  Can't win with this board.

Moose

« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »
Again, the matchup benefits both SJU and SU.  Building an even greater rivalry with that dirtbag school and filling the garden is great for assuring our future and recruiting circles.  This is a brave new world with respect to the new conference and having a built-in matchup that packs the Garden and gives us an edge is excellent.  It is also great for our relationship with the Garden and encouraging that playing us there is in demand. 

It is simply good business and no good programs should ditch a game that fills the place.  I hate Syracuse as much as anyone but I'd rather pack the Garden and actually start beating them for a change.  Make it like the UNC vs Duke rivalry.  Plenty of bad blood there but in that one it is a two-sided matchup.  We need to make it so.

How does it benefit us besides a 'sold out' building?

If you don't see it, I can't explain it any further Moose.  It fills the building, pays the bills, is an intra-state rivalry and has recruiting implications.  There are a lot more negatives to canceling a potentially yearly matchup. 

I told you how many times the bills were paid just fine drawing 6k while Norm was coach.  Doesn't take much to break even.  I don't see the point in allowing a team that has tormented us and called themselves NY's team another chance to play in MSG every year.  Lord knows they will probably get a game there anyway. 

So many posters kicked and screamed when they left yet these same posters are bending over the table and oh so willing to allow them right back in.

Like you said they will most likely play a game there every year anyways, so that game should be against St. John's. In order to remove that NY's team title from them is by playing them and beating them.

You think they are just going to stop at 1 game vs. us?  They are going to get another game against a premier team (ie Duke, etc).  Forget them already.  I'm amazed how many people are so attached to an original team that pretty much hammered the final nail in BE coffin.

I'm more concerned with taking the NY team title away from Cuse and in order to do that you must play them.

We cant beat Asheville your asking for Cuse
Mr. Moose, you musta had high hopes after we lost to the Bonnies and Rams. We really won't know where this program is going for a while. No way we should be getting to nuts or to smart. I do know there are programs out there that would be sky high if good teams would actually give em a home game. Best case is we beat em up at MSG and refuse to go up there.

That team was full of 4 yr players.  This team isn't.

Moose

« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »

Very pessimistic thinking here.

While it's true we most likely will never be a program like Syracuse, it's extremely pessimistic to say we can't compete with them year in and year out. We're in good hands with Lavin, as much as it may not feel like it right now. If we continue to recruit like this, we will be a solid top 50 program year in and year out, and the occasional top 25 season, which any St. John's fan should be happy with. And so far there is nothing that says Lavin can't continue to recruit this level of talent.

You think our fan base will be happy with that????
Our fan base remembers all those NCAA Championships and will never be happy with an occasional top 25 year.

Moose

« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

Because Pitino was a traitor?  He went to the NBA first and THEN went to LVILLE.  Mind you he also coached previous to Kentucky at places.  Apples to Oranges MCNPA.  Hope you enjoy sitting in a Garden chalk full of Cuse fans.  Cuz lord knows our fans won't bother coming.

boo3

« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »

A dose of reality. SJ fans have no heart. The hint of bad season means an empty arena. We saw it in Brooklyn.

Unless you are the Cubs, this is true just about anywhere.  Remember Yankee stadium in the 80s? This isn't a St. John's or NY phenomenon.  It's called economics and common sense.

Moose

« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

Unless you are the Cubs, this is true just about anywhere.  Remember Yankee stadium in the 80s? This isn't a St. John's or NY phenomenon.  It's called economics and common sense.

It also blows the whole NY theory up IMO.  NY is full of people who grew up here and went away to school.  Therefore they root for other teams.  Then there are tons of people who moved to NY after college who have another team to root for.  So when their teams play at MSG the 1 or 2 times a year they WILL pay premium to watch them in person.  So why everyone plays up the STJ-NY connection if anything I see a negative with it.  The fairweather fans will only come when we win.

The other problem is the student makeup of STJ is not a sports minded population.  STJ has a lot of foreign kids and most don't give a rats ass about basketball.  While STJ might have a big enrollment I'd say the majority could care less about sports and there is no connection once they graduate.

MCNPA

« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »

Because Pitino was a traitor?  He went to the NBA first and THEN went to LVILLE.  Mind you he also coached previous to Kentucky at places.  Apples to Oranges MCNPA.  Hope you enjoy sitting in a Garden chalk full of Cuse fans.  Cuz lord knows our fans won't bother coming.

UK fans all view him as a traitor.  I was making a point though.  They schedule the Ville because it is good for Kentucky basketbsll.  Good for both sides.  Same holds true with SJU vs Cuse.  It will be different when Boeheim is gone I think.  Quite a bit actually, but not sure yet when that will be.