Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1640 on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
How many BE teams make the tournament if every school comes in with a so-so ooc record and then beat each other up during the BE season?

Does it really matter that the BE only has one ranked team now?

If that beat down occurs, it is possible this could be a three bid league. We'll see.

« Reply #1641 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
I've been the first to discount both the PSU loss and the GT win, but both teams are playing well tonight.
Georgia Tech leads Illinois at half and Penn State is up 2 on Pittsburgh.

Agreed. Those games certainly look better after last night. I'll admit I was wrong. I still think Providence has looked better in terms of actual play, but St. John's schedule does look better than I previously thought.

« Reply #1642 on: December 04, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
How many BE teams make the tournament if every school comes in with a so-so ooc record and then beat each other up during the BE season?

If that beat down occurs, it is possible this could be a three bid league. We'll see.

I agree, this could be a three bid league.  That means we better have it together as Lavin promised when it starts.

Moose

« Reply #1643 on: December 04, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

I agree, this could be a three bid league.  That means we better have it together as Lavin promised when it starts.

And it could just as easily be a 5 bid even 6 bid league.  How bout we play a full season?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1644 on: December 04, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »

And it could just as easily be a 5 bid even 6 bid league.  How bout we play a full season?

I don't think it could just as easily anymore. Half of OOC schedule as gone and most of us missed a lot of our opportunities for quality wins.

St. John's Missed on Wisconsin, only has Syracuse left to get a quality OOC win.
Georgetown Missed on Oregon, got VCU, Still has Kansas, and Michigan St left
Butler missed on Oklahoma St and LSU best OOC game left is Purdue
Xavier missed on Iowa, and rematch with tennessee, just has Cincinnati left
Providence missed on Kentucky, Maryland got BC ( I think this will be a decent win by the end of the year but maybe not), just have Umass left
Creighton missed on San Diego St got @ St. Joes and Arizona St, only has Cal left
Marquette missed on Ohio St, San Diego St, Arizona St, only has @ Wisconsin left
Villanova did what they need to do.

BE has a lot of top 100 teams, but only 2 top 50 teams in the RPI currently. Not going to be a lot of high RPI wins to be gained in conference play this year. Last year there were 8 BE teams with top 50 RPIs. You had at least 8 chances to pick up a top 50 win in conference. Right now you only get 4 with home and homes with Nova and Butler. Yes the RPI will improve hopefully we can get 4 teams in the top 50 of the RPI before conference play so we have those same 8 opportunities for quality wins.

Right now Creighton, Georgetown, and Villanova have secured an OOC win that will help them get into the tourney. We would need a heck of a lot to go right to get 6 teams at this point and 5 is looking hard as well. Looking a lot more like 4.

« Reply #1645 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

I don't think it could just as easily anymore. Half of OOC schedule as gone and most of us missed a lot of our opportunities for quality wins.

St. John's Missed on Wisconsin, only has Syracuse left to get a quality OOC win.
Providence missed on Kentucky, Maryland got BC ( I think this will be a decent win by the end of the year but maybe not), just have Umass left
Creighton missed on San Diego St got @ St. Joes and Arizona St, only has Cal left
Marquette missed on Ohio St, San Diego St, Arizona St, only has @ Wisconsin left

BE has a lot of top 100 teams, but only 2 top 50 teams in the RPI currently. Not going to be a lot of high RPI wins to be gained in conference play this year. Last year there were 8 BE teams with top 50 RPIs. You had at least 8 chances to pick up a top 50 win in conference. Right now you only get 4 with home and homes with Nova and Butler. Yes the RPI will improve hopefully we can get 4 teams in the top 50 of the RPI before conference play so we have those same 8 opportunities for quality wins.

Right now Creighton, Georgetown, and Villanova have secured an OOC win that will help them get into the tourney. We would need a heck of a lot to go right to get 6 teams at this point and 5 is looking hard as well. Looking a lot more like 4.
Quick Question Hooli:  Who is JTIII's main asst. working with Team Takeover?  They did fast work with MDerr.

DFF6

« Reply #1646 on: December 04, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »

Unfortunately, I think you're right.  Almost makes Cuse a must win game for us.

paultzman

« Reply #1647 on: December 04, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »

Agree with post suggesting to let season play out. That said, your analysis is spot on. Not "doomed", but challenging to get more than four teams in NCAAs. We'll see. Regarding Johnnies, plain & simple, it is time to  put a solid run together. Even if we lose to Cuse, the opportunity for success lies in stealing some quality BE wins on road & holding serve at home. Step up guys!

Moose

« Reply #1648 on: December 04, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »

The problem I am seeing is playing everyone twice it will be tough to sweep.  So you might not have extremes of a two loss or two win team in conference.  So you get a lot of people bunched up in the middle.  Then you have to add in the other factors of OOC wins and BET performance.  I still think its way too early to say 3 bid, 5 bid whatever.

« Reply #1649 on: December 04, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
Of course, we'll let the season play out.  College basketball is still fun to watch, even if it's maddening at times.

This is the year I thought we'd be ranked after the Lavin hire.  Now we're hoping to eke our way into the tournament.

I just hope there's a sense of urgency.  No one thinks the BE is what it used to be. Three bids are realistic but aren't etched in stone.  Teams with gaudy records and few top 25 wins get passed over all the time. 

I hope it's not us. 

In my heart, I still think we can finish in the top three in the conference.  Fourth or fifth and we may be posting at the end of the year that we got screwed.

« Reply #1650 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

Quick Question Hooli:  Who is JTIII's main asst. working with Team Takeover?  They did fast work with MDerr.

I'm not positive who is the main takeover guy between Kevin Broadus and Kevin Sutton both have a lot of DC ties. But yeah that was a very nice early win for us.

« Reply #1651 on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
If 21 or 22 total wins with no "bad losses" doesn't get us a tournament berth, we absolutely must beef up the non conference schedule going forward.  I can't see us going 12-6 in conference this year, which might be required to make the dance absent winning the conference tournament or beating Cuse next week.

hnk

« Reply #1652 on: December 04, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
We could ......beat three teams twice....and six other teams once....not impossible.

Moose

« Reply #1653 on: December 04, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »
We could ......beat three teams twice....and six other teams once....not impossible.

NCAA's here we come

Poison

« Reply #1654 on: December 04, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »

I think it's been a dismal for every BE team with the exception of Nova, and maybe Creighton. I think every other team has at least one loss that they really shouldn't have. I'd ask how GTown lost to Northeastern, but parity reigns today. It happens all over.

paultzman

« Reply #1655 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »
Providence leading Rhody by 1 with 7 minutes remaining. Hassan Martin has looked good in spots for RI, really runs floor well. I know he has an edge, but if  Lav ever left, I would take Hurley in a heartbeat. Mas of Manhattan as well. Lol
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:47:08 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1656 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
Enjoyed this game. Cooley & Hurley jawed at each other in heat of battle and atmosphere was great in Kingston. 

PC nips Rhody by one.

Moose

« Reply #1657 on: December 05, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
Enjoyed this game. Cooley & Hurley jawed at each other in heat of battle and atmosphere was great in Kingston. 

PC nips Rhody by one.

So Hurley just catapulted up my next coach list :)

« Reply #1658 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »

PC nips Rhody by one.

That was hilarious

« Reply #1659 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »
Was that Rhody's on campus home court arena? If so I'm jealous!