Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1740 on: December 17, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
Villanova is better then Syracuse based on what?  A last second win over a 3 loss Kansas team on a desperate 3?

Secondly Syracuse has been a 3, 1, 3, 1, 4 seeding in the last 5 NCAA's.  Keep this in mind after a 9-5 start in 2010-11 Villanova lost 6 straight to end the season including 5 straight in the BE and then went 5-13 the next year (that is a stretch of 5-18 in the BE conference).  That is AWFUL.  Syracuse, UNC, Duke, Louisville WILL NEVER go thru a stretch that bad.  NEVER. 

My point is not to disparage Nova or Wright my point is Villanova is a program that is very good but not even close to that level even if you concede they are better then Syracuse right now and I don't.

And the A-10 argument is my point, there is NO ONE who puts the A-10 in a top 5 conference.  Again you have 12-14 teams and you get 5 bids, that is nice but it is a product of having a lot of teams and look at the seeds.  No 1, 2 or 3 seeds.

The BE at 16 teams was not the best conference because it always got the most bids (that was nice) but because it got 1, 2 and 3's consistently.  Remember in 2009 they got 7 teams but look at how good they were.  3 no. 1's is still a record.  2 number 3 seeds and 2 no. 6 seeds means the committee felt that the BE had 7 teams among the top 24 (multiply 6 by 4) in the country.  Or 5 teams among the top 12 in the country. NEVER happened before.

And this early look at the top 16 teams for the NCAA's has exactly ONE BE school, 3 ACC, 3 Big 10, 3 Big 12, 3 AAC, 2 PAC 12, and 1 SEC school.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131217/bracket-watch-wisconsin-badgers-ncaa-tournament/

The BE is NOT close to being among the top 2 conferences in the country.  No way.  More importantly what happens when McDermott leaves, is Creighton still going to be solid/decent? 

« Reply #1741 on: December 17, 2013, 10:21:48 PM »
Who in the BE is better then Florida?  Florida has lost twice to Wisconsin on the road and UCONN on the road.  Both of those teams are unbeaten and in the case of UCONN they literally lost at the buzzer.  And they have not been at full strength all season.

They have beaten Kansas and FSU and they are playing Memphis tonight and they have had their best freshman ineligible and Wilbekin has missed several key games.

Are you telling me Nova would be 9-0 after playing Wisconsin AND UCONN on the road, shorthanded no less?

And everyone believes that Kentucky s probably the best team in that conference anyway not Florida.

paultzman

« Reply #1742 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
Crazy article;

@EricPrisbell: Marquette spends more per athlete on men's hoops ($270,000 a year) than any school except Duke, writes Michael Hunt: http://t.co/BxRhn1ZSDj

« Reply #1743 on: December 18, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »
Crazy article;

@EricPrisbell: Marquette spends more per athlete on men's hoops ($270,000 a year) than any school except Duke, writes Michael Hunt: http://t.co/BxRhn1ZSDj
Any guess as to what St. John's spends

« Reply #1744 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »
I remember reading an article a few years back on budgets for men's basketball.  I was surprised that Marquette was so high.  They weren't #2 at the time but they were in the top 10.  We were higher than I thought we would be but I think rent on MSG is a big factor.  At the time, our coaching budget was less than it is now so we may be even higher on the list than we were back then.

paultzman

« Reply #1745 on: December 18, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »
To me I was a bit surprised by power of "boosters" at Marquette.  Nudging that AD out, who was a player in formation of new BE, speaks to their clout I assume.

paultzman

« Reply #1746 on: December 18, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
Good move;
@Brian_Ewart: This is pretty interesting... http://t.co/1DiYFFKQ3Q Big East Conference Announces National Radio Agreement (via @becb_sbn)

Marillac

« Reply #1747 on: December 18, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »
Villanova is better then Syracuse based on what?  A last second win over a 3 loss Kansas team on a desperate 3?

Secondly Syracuse has been a 3, 1, 3, 1, 4 seeding in the last 5 NCAA's.  Keep this in mind after a 9-5 start in 2010-11 Villanova lost 6 straight to end the season including 5 straight in the BE and then went 5-13 the next year (that is a stretch of 5-18 in the BE conference).  That is AWFUL.  Syracuse, UNC, Duke, Louisville WILL NEVER go thru a stretch that bad.  NEVER. 

My point is not to disparage Nova or Wright my point is Villanova is a program that is very good but not even close to that level even if you concede they are better then Syracuse right now and I don't.

And the A-10 argument is my point, there is NO ONE who puts the A-10 in a top 5 conference.  Again you have 12-14 teams and you get 5 bids, that is nice but it is a product of having a lot of teams and look at the seeds.  No 1, 2 or 3 seeds.

The BE at 16 teams was not the best conference because it always got the most bids (that was nice) but because it got 1, 2 and 3's consistently.  Remember in 2009 they got 7 teams but look at how good they were.  3 no. 1's is still a record.  2 number 3 seeds and 2 no. 6 seeds means the committee felt that the BE had 7 teams among the top 24 (multiply 6 by 4) in the country.  Or 5 teams among the top 12 in the country. NEVER happened before.

And this early look at the top 16 teams for the NCAA's has exactly ONE BE school, 3 ACC, 3 Big 10, 3 Big 12, 3 AAC, 2 PAC 12, and 1 SEC school.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131217/bracket-watch-wisconsin-badgers-ncaa-tournament/

The BE is NOT close to being among the top 2 conferences in the country.  No way.  More importantly what happens when McDermott leaves, is Creighton still going to be solid/decent? 

Settle down.  I am not talking "programs" here, I am merely expressing my opinion that Nova is a better TEAM than Syracuse.  Last year's Cuse squad would have beaten this year's squad by double-digits. 

Nova, right now, looks like a complete team to me.  You and I argued over Marquette and Nova earlier in the year.  You thought it was criminal for Dickie V to not have them in the top 25 because they were so clearly the best team in the conference.  I told you that I thought Nova was.

Nova has no holes.  They have a diesel, versatile big man in Pinkston, they have the most improved player in the conference thus far in Bell, and they have a three or four-headed backcourt that can play with anyone.  They can shoot the ball and they are unselfish, tough, and smart. Nova plays Syracuse soon so we won't have to wait long to see who is better that day.  The game is at the Dome too, so that should be a huge advantage for Cuse.

If you want to compare programs, Nova is not that far from Cuse over the last decade. 

paultzman

« Reply #1748 on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
@bigeastconf: It's not just wins and losses, basketball unites players across the globe.  @bigeastmbb w/ 16 international players http://t.co/Ok2p50864f

paultzman

« Reply #1749 on: December 20, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
Wonder if this photo was taken after Buzz found out the AD he disliked left? Ha

@GoodmanESPN: Wow. This photo must be altered.@bdGlobalSports: . @MarquetteMBB & @TeamCoachBuzz getting wild in Vegas http://t.co/NRUZV0huUI @GoodmanESPN

paultzman

« Reply #1750 on: December 21, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
Looks like Georgetown is getting another stud inside player, Marcus Derrickson. The summary below references his team's win at City of Palms Tourney over Wheeler High School, David Lipscomb's father's squad. Are we still looking at any of those kids? I know Giddens, the big, is being recruited by some elite schools.

@TakeOverBBall: City of Palms: Paul VI 62, Wheeler 46 http://t.co/sGgHlZrPfH[/url
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:08:21 AM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #1751 on: December 21, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
Josh Smith looks very good so far in this Kansas game.   Looks like he will be a lot to handle for us.    Different player than he was a few seasons ago.

« Reply #1752 on: December 21, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
Goes against every bone in my body but I hope G'Town beats Kansas...I really hate Hoya Saxa, but we need to get the BE some more quality wins.

« Reply #1753 on: December 21, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Goes against every bone in my body but I hope G'Town beats Kansas...I really hate Hoya Saxa, but we need to get the BE some more quality wins.

Kansas is pulling away in the second half.

paultzman

« Reply #1754 on: December 21, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »
GT getting hammered not helpful to BE. Bad showing!

Moose

« Reply #1755 on: December 21, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
GT getting hammered not helpful to BE. Bad showing!

I left the house the game was tied at 25
Wow
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1756 on: December 21, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
Xavier comes from behind to win at Bama. butler also won.

Moose

« Reply #1757 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »

Watching Marquette now on ESPNU
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1758 on: December 21, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »

Marquette needs this game.  5 losses going into conference play is a lot. Plus it would be a quality win.

« Reply #1759 on: December 21, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »

Aren't you supposed to tweet messages like that?  :)