10 Dark Horse College Basketball National Championship Contenders

• 13 replies

uwsfan

Re: 10 Dark Horse College Basketball National Championship Contenders
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »
With Sanchez & Branch being as good as advertised, a favorable bracket and a couple of good breaks.......... could happen.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »
With Sanchez & Branch being as good as advertised, a favorable bracket and a couple of good breaks.......... could happen.

I bet you live in Washington or Colorado.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »
As much as I would love this, I really can't see us winning the entire thing THIS year. If we turn it on down the stretch and get hot I can see us making a deep run though. Over the next few years though, anything can happen.

tnice

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Not familiar with this site, but I'm guessing its similar to Bleacher Report where pretty much anyone can post stuff. Love the props from the writer, but his references to a team that's "chalk full" of young players and the possibilty of SJU going to the "promise land" mean either there's no editor at this site, or he's a college sophomore working on his writing game ( and his grammar).

We will surprise people this year, but dark horse contender for NC? Pump the brakes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:27:07 AM by tnice »

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »
Gotta make the tournament first

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
I think they belong on this list for sure.  If Sanchez becomes eligible and this team gels with Brach, they would be able to beat anyone.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Cinncinnatti might be a dark-horse, Missouri is another; we are not even in the conversation.
In 3 of our last 4 games we have trailed or been tied with the likes of Holy Cross, Florida Gulf Coast, and NJIT at halftime.

Someone please come back to this topic after tonight's game and tell me if we look like a tournament-caliber team, let alone a Final Four or NC team.
If I'm wrong, I will gladly admit it, but right now we are not ready for the big time.

We are a poor shooting and poor rebounding team.   Historically those teams don't fare very well, no matter how athletic they may be.   
We continue to improve, but let's crawl before we run.   

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
Not familiar with this site, but I'm guessing its similar to Bleacher Report where pretty much anyone can post stuff. Love the props from the writer, but his references to a team that's "chalk full" of young players and the possibilty of SJU going to the "promise land" mean either there's no editor at this site, or he's a college sophomore working on his writing game ( and his grammar).

We will surprise people this year, but dark horse contender for NC? Pump the brakes.

It it's a college soph then this rag has one up on the HSers posing as journos on the bleacher report.

boo3

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Cinncinnatti might be a dark-horse, Missouri is another; we are not even in the conversation.
In 3 of our last 4 games we have trailed or been tied with the likes of Holy Cross, Florida Gulf Coast, and NJIT at halftime.

Someone please come back to this topic after tonight's game and tell me if we look like a tournament-caliber team, let alone a Final Four or NC team.
If I'm wrong, I will gladly admit it, but right now we are not ready for the big time.

We are a poor shooting and poor rebounding team.   Historically those teams don't fare very well, no matter how athletic they may be.   
We continue to improve, but let's crawl before we run.   

Desco, bright side my friend. Try it once in a while. 

uwsfan

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

On second thought. There is NO WAY this team is capable of that. Will likely be an NIT team. Big East play will not be pretty to watch this season i am sorry to say. We cant defend the 3, nor can we make 3s.
Just dont see how this team is >.500 in conference play this season. Maybe 6-7 wins in BE

desco80

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
Soo... we can close this thread now, right?

Boo- I'm not being negative for effect, just trying to bring some perspective to the conversation.   I want this team to do well, I love St Johns basketball - and this is the most talented team we've had in a long time. 
But they have a lot of work to do.   

The collapse against Baylor, the game against Murray State?  First off, neither of those teams is ranked, and we didn't lose because we ran out of gas - they were just better.
The first half flatness against NJIT, FGCU, and Holy Cross ?   We should've been smarter fans, and realized that 3 games out of 4 is a trend, not an aberration.   We can't write those off as flukes.   

And I don't want to hear anybody blaming this all on Phil, or all on Dom for not guarding their pg... everybody needed to play better tonight.
Similarly the staff shouldn't get off scott free, nor should they shoulder all the blame.    They truly lost as a team.

With that said - there is talent here.   Hammer to the rock boys!     

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:26:53 AM »
Not much to argue with Desco.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
Have you watched a game this year?  I'm still waiting for them to play well in a first half this season

They have lost to any decent team they've faced and nearly gotten beat by FGC, Holy Cross, and NJIT.  To be perfectly honest, there's not a lot to be happy about right now.