The crowd at our last home game

• 77 replies
Re: The crowd at our last home game
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
Johnny Thunderbird bobblehead giveaway was an '09 game against Stony Brook. Lavin was the blackout game against USF the big senior night extravaganza. I need Lavin to complete my set and they still sell them on their website. Bobbleheads are cool.

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »
Are we talking about the same knick fans that were calling wfan in nov and dec claiming they can be out the heat in the east? smart and sophisticated ??? or the ones calling the season over because of a 30 pt loss to the pacers the other night, just asking lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:09:55 AM by erickthered »

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:13 AM »
'I never thought of Woody as sophisticated'

Woody Allen not sophisticated?  He's a brilliant and prolific director, writer, actor, standup comedian. Plus a professional clarinet player and New Orleans swing band leader. 

He's pretty darn sophisticated.

Except for the clarinet bit - and kudos for guessing the right instrument this time, winky - you just described Fatty Arbuckle. Like Fatty Woody is also a rapist, although in his case coke bottle glasses rather than glass coke bottles. You might find that sort of thing sophisticated, I do not. Or perhaps we've just discovered another word you don't know the meaning of. IAE perhaps we should just agree to disagree, or if you prefer I can slap you around a bit first.

Can an individual that faced child molestation accusations and ended up marrying a much younger adopted daughter be sophisticated?  I think so.

Vinny: J.T., I believe you and Lisa played a game of pool for two hundred dollars, which she won; I'm here to collect.
J.T.: How 'bout if I just slap you around a bit?
Vinny: Oh, a counteroffer. That's what we lawyers, I'm a lawyer, call that a counteroffer. Let me see, this is a tough decision you're giving me here. Get slapped around a bit or collect two hundred dollars. Hmm, let me think. I could use a good slapping around, I'll be very honest with you. Nah, I think I'll just go with the two hundred. [The people in the room laugh]
J.T.: Over my dead body.
Vinny: You like to renegotiate as you go along, huh? Okay then, here's my counteroffer: do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever-loving shit out of you?
J.T.: In your dreams.
Vinny: Oh, no, no, in reality. If I was to kick the shit outta ya, do I get the money?
JT: (contemplates this) If you kick the shit outta me...
Vinny: Yeah?
J.T.: ...then you get the money.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 03:34:16 AM »
The crowd was loud tonight?? I was sitting near the court and it was fairly quiet. I was lucky enough to get really good seats tonight and I've been in the "season ticket holder" sections a number of times this year. It is quieter than a morgue in these areas. We go on a great run to open a game in which we had to win to stay on the bubble. This is an exciting time for basketball. Not ONCE did our esteemed season ticket holders give our team a standing ovation. Not during this early run, not after holding USF to less than 20 points going into halftime, and not as the clock wound down. My friend and I were often the only ones standing after big players in our area of sitting. For a big game, that atmosphere was awful and quite frankly I don't want to see St. John's fans complaining about the student section. At least THEY'RE loud and they try to set up a home atmosphere.

I was at the St. John's-Syracuse game last weekend at the Carrier Dome. At the start of each half, the ENTIRE Syracuse crowd stands and claps until they score. Even the elderly ones. And you know what else they do?? They get up off their feet when the OPPOSING TEAM makes runs. When St. John's cut the lead to 7 that game the entire Syracuse rose up and clapped to lift their team back up.

I don't know WHY our crowd consistently stinks in terms of crowd noise. All I know is people need to show up and be loud and obnoxious on Sunday and I don't want to hear anymore about the student doing their part in this until our season ticket holders and others can start reasonably holding up their end. Let's be LOUD and obnoxious and on our feet on Sunday!!

T, would you prefer the geriatrics in red sweaters stay home and the team plays to even more empty seats?  We need all of our fans that go to games.  Raucous students,  the sleeveless guy and yes an 80 year old alum and his wife that can't stand at all and can only clap quietly twice a game.

Yes, it's frustrating that a game at Alumni doesn't closely resemble one at the Carrier dome but the guy who watches quietly is not really the problem and besides, it's his perogative. He paid for his ticket. 

The real problem is the 13,000 people who don't show up at the garden for a typical Sju contest.  That's who you should be mad at.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 06:19:09 AM »
PS congrats on the album.  Which Blotto was Mike Kelley?  I remember seeing them, albeit blurrily (just making up words now), when I was in college.

You're kind to notice, but a more appropriate comment might be: did you remember to flush. Mike is Hammerhead. Not an original but a long time member. They still gig every once in a while.

Foad

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 06:29:26 AM »
Can an individual that faced child molestation accusations and ended up marrying a much younger adopted daughter be sophisticated?  I think so.

Okay, so you consider paedophilia, incest and statutory rape sophisticated, a word meaning "having acquired refinement." Thanks for clearing that up.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »
We are complaining about a sold out crowd not being loud enough against a horrible USF team...Really... Can't we be glad that we are building some fan support for our tournament run?

Comparing our fan base to Syracuse fan base is silly. They have been consistently good with the same coach for 30plus years. When was the last time they missed any postseason tournament! NEWSFLASH Sryacuse fan base likes their coach better the our fan base likes ours! The last time were constantly good at basketball was in the early 90s when I was in elementary school...The team needs to stay consistent for a period of time before we build our fan base up.

One of the drawbacks of playing in a grown up city and having a college act like it a a pro sport is that in the words of a poster on here is that we end up having a "Wine and Cheese" crowd. They support the team but you won't see them all painted up and act crazy. If we wan to change that then we need to expand the student section and change some things.

Let's get excited that we have our own destiny and our hands for the tournament and people are starting to care again!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »

Okay, so you consider paedophilia, incest and statutory rape sophisticated, a word meaning "having acquired refinement." Thanks for clearing that up.

so·phis·ti·cat·ed (s-fst-ktd)
adj.
1. Having acquired worldly knowledge; lacking natural simplicity or naiveté.
2. Very complex or complicated
3. Suitable for or appealing to the tastes of sophisticates: a sophisticated drama.

Not for the unpleasant sexual stuff you mentioned.  For the career stuff that I mentioned.

You guys must be very into the Mothers.  Your "Axis" album resembles "We're only in it for the money" and "Weasels ripped my flesh" was probably the inspiration for your band title.

These are very sophisticated records.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:16:32 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »
for the record, fatty arbuckle was acquitted and the jury sent him a note of apology. 

Foad

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
fatty arbuckle was acquitted and the jury sent him a note of apology.

So he was innocent, like OJ.

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »
Silly to think that the people calling into WFAN are the ones attending Knick home games. Most of them probably could not afford the subway fare to MSG let alone the price of a ticket. So the answer is no, the sophisticated fans at Knick games are not the same fans calling into WFAN.

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »
Weirdest thread of all times?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »

The Woody/Soon Yi relationship began when Soon Yi was 19 and she was never his daughter nor was Woody married to nor living with Mia, though they were adopting children together.  That relationship at its core is actually the odder of the two.  That doesn't mean Woody's sophisticated nor that the relationship was appropriate but all the qualities you're projecting on it are illegal, and despite Mia's efforts, including some other trumped up abuse claims that were thrown out of court, Woody was cleared of any legal wrong doing.  The relationship may be weird, gross and/or disgusting to all or many but it has lasted 15 years which is longer than most marriages and especially more than most marriages between 50 year olds and 20 year olds.

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »
PS congrats on the album.  Which Blotto was Mike Kelley?  I remember seeing them, albeit blurrily (just making up words now), when I was in college.

You're kind to notice, but a more appropriate comment might be: did you remember to flush. Mike is Hammerhead. Not an original but a long time member. They still gig every once in a while.

Is your back catalog available for download?  Any band compared to XTC might be good for a listen.

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
Thanks for bringing that back.  If nothing else it proves once and  for all that Joe3 is Medium T Shirt guy, not that there should have been any doubt.  Same back story about his dad (for which we are all very sorry), and of course same panties in a twist whining and sense of entitlement. 

Foad

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »
The Woody/Soon Yi relationship began when Soon Yi was 19
This is demonstrably false: Soon Yi's birth records were lost and no one knows how old she is exactly. According to Woody the relationship was licit - which is what I'd say too if otherwise I'd be admitting a felony. Mia - a woman scorned to be sure and one who I personally find more repugnant even than Allen - says she was 17. Who to believe? Having read Allen's unauthorized biography, in which his prediliction for young girls is explained in great detail - even more detail than he explained his own self in Manhatten, wherein Woody Allen portrays Woody Allen as a statutory rapist - I tend to believe her.

and she was never his daughter nor was Woody married to nor living with Mia, though they were adopting children together.  That relationship at its core is actually the odder of the two.   
What's odd is your statement. Allen and Farrow were two consenting adults dating unconventionally. That you think that odder than a man marrying his girlfriend's daughter who he's raised since she was ten, I'll just let lay there. But you'll at least admit that opinions might vary. Woody Allen's son eg has a different take than you: "He's my father and he's married to my sister." Shirley that's a mite peculiar, even to a Californian.

That doesn't mean Woody's sophisticated nor that the relationship was appropriate but all the qualities you're projecting on it are illegal, and  despite Mia's efforts, including some other trumped up abuse claims that were thrown out of court,
Well no, the allegations of abuse raised in the custody hearing weren't "thrown out." On the contrary, they were let in and thoroughly investigated. The judge found them "inconclusive" -- which is a far cry from unfounded -- awarded Farrow sole custody and gave Allen supervised visitation only. The evidence included eyewitness testimony, medical testimony, and the testimony of one of the alleged victims. Personally I doubt the allegations of pedophilia - as opposed to ephebophilia, which seem to me self evident. If you're cavil is with my us of hyperbole, other than my eyes I've been told that's my best feature.

Woody was cleared of any legal wrong doing. 
So was Michael Jackson. (He ... made ... Thriller.) Which anyway only proves that one lawyer lied more convincingly than another. What happens in court has nothing to do with the truth of what happened outside court.

The relationship may be weird, gross and/or disgusting to all or many but it has lasted 15 years which is longer than most marriages and especially more than most marriages between 50 year olds and 20 year olds.
Actually after a breif google and according to the Census Bureau the average marriage lasts around 25 years, both for men and women. In this case that they're still togther isn't in the least surprising, as they both have pretty profound psychological reasons for staying togther. She was a war orphan who is now estranged from her adopted family, having sexually betrayed her adopted mother. He exposed himself to ridicule at best and as a rapist at worst. He did that based upon the absurd proposition that "the heart wants what it wants" - his explanation for his moral failings being that they were the inevitable result of great love. Which is utter nonsense. The cock wants what it wants; the heart is happy with what it can get. His behavior arises from psychological pathologies that could be unobvious only to a life long patient of psychoanalysis, and which pathologies would be exposed to public scrutiny - and possibly his own - were the great love to disappear. So I suspect they'll be together until he dies and then she'll throw herself on the funeral pyre. Hopefully this will happen before he makes yet another eleven shitty movies in which Scarlett Johansson leaves her shirt on.

Foad

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »

Is your back catalog available for download?  Any band compared to XTC might be good for a listen.

The XTC line I sort of made up. (Before that we were "Steely Dan on animal tranquilizers.") Since you ask, there are free downloads including the entire first album here: http://www.theweasels.com/download.html. The last three are available on Itunes and similar retail outlets.

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm so Catholic school Providence that has been very bad in recent years turned out an amazing crowd tonight which stood and was loud during critical portions of the game tonight.  Looked like young AND old stood including and especially in what looked like the season ticket holder section.

Wondering what the next excuse from our overly-politically correct season ticket holders will be as to why they can't get off their you-know-what to make some noise??
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

redslope

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
Weirdest thread of all times?

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=6019.0

That was a classic and someone should sneak it in once a year-say summer when things are a little slow as it truly brings a few laughs--thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:14:57 PM by redslope »