I could use any comparison I want.
Don't read it if you don't like it.

Moose

Re: Really Really down on Lavin
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »

Snippy this morning.
Its apples to oranges what each coach inherited and recruited.

Your right, you can use any comparison you'd like.  Just how I can respond by saying 'please lets not use a comparison'.  Discussion is a great thing.  Beautiful country we live in, aint it?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »

Snippy this morning.

Your right, you can use any comparison you'd like.  Just how I can respond by saying 'please lets not use a comparison'.  Discussion is a great thing.  Beautiful country we live in, aint it?

This board is going to be a brutal read this summer

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
Should probably just fire him and start over..

Who should be the next coach?

Should I start a separate thread?

How about Bob McKillop?   Seth Greenberg?  Doherty still interested?     ::)

Who's the guy at Stony Brook? He's built something from absolutely nothing.

please make it stop. We always complained when Calgoon or Smiling jim got a player back from suspension for taking a stereo, or breaking in or assault after 1 game. Lavs made a decision based on D'Lo's future in basketball and in life i think. I don't like the end results as much as you guys but at least he is doing what he deems the right thing. Ill ride this out with coach, yeah tonight made me want to throw something through my TV but we all know we cant shoot. Once we get behind its a done deal for the most part.

The problem is we aren't bringing in any shooters next year either.  Outside of adding Orlando Sanchez, the team on the court last night will be the same team that is on the court next season.  And it can't be emphasized enough ... this team can't shoot.  An offseason is not going to change that.

Sure, they'll be a year older.  But the team is not balanced at all.

Everyone forgets about Max Hooper.

Just another observation ... JaKarr really needs to be advised that he cannot consistently hit the 15 to 18 foot jump shot.  I think he has it in his mind that that's his shot and it really isn't.  Maybe it will develop over time, but he's not there yet with it.

Karr can't hit the 15 to 18 footer? 
Actually he can.  It's amazing that if he steps back from that he can't hit the side of a barn.
Karr hasn't been and issue the past 2 games.  With Dee out teams know he's our scoring option and are keying on him.  No issues with his jumper at all from there.

I didn't say he can't hit a 15 or 18 foot jump shot.  I said he can't consistently hit it.  And that becomes a problem when most of the time he settles for it instead of trying to drive to the basket.

I agree with you, JaKarr is the least of our problems.  He is the best player on the team right now and will without question take a step forward next year.  But his shot is flat and half the time he shoots it off balance.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:28:37 AM by DoodyNY33 »

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »
Sorry for snippy response. lack of sleep from a 4-year old and a newborn can do it to anybody. LOL Did not know comparison was already used.

But I'm still a 100% believer in Lavin. SJU was irrelevant before he arrived. Especially in the recruiting circles.

He was brought in talent and with another year of maturation and some elder statesman (Sanchez and Gift) adding stability, 2013 will be a very good year IMHO.

Maybe it was 10 years of the Jarvis and Norm disaster that has me high on Coach Lavin

Moose

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »

Snippy this morning.

This board is going to be a brutal read this summer

In the words of Bart Scott...... Can't wait :)

And just think we technically have no ships

Moose

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
Should probably just fire him and start over..

Who should be the next coach?

Should I start a separate thread?

How about Bob McKillop?   Seth Greenberg?  Doherty still interested?     ::)

Who's the guy at Stony Brook? He's built something from absolutely nothing.

please make it stop. We always complained when Calgoon or Smiling jim got a player back from suspension for taking a stereo, or breaking in or assault after 1 game. Lavs made a decision based on D'Lo's future in basketball and in life i think. I don't like the end results as much as you guys but at least he is doing what he deems the right thing. Ill ride this out with coach, yeah tonight made me want to throw something through my TV but we all know we cant shoot. Once we get behind its a done deal for the most part.

The problem is we aren't bringing in any shooters next year either.  Outside of adding Orlando Sanchez, the team on the court last night will be the same team that is on the court next season.  And it can't be emphasized enough ... this team can't shoot.  An offseason is not going to change that.

Sure, they'll be a year older.  But the team is not balanced at all.

Everyone forgets about Max Hooper.

Just another observation ... JaKarr really needs to be advised that he cannot consistently hit the 15 to 18 foot jump shot.  I think he has it in his mind that that's his shot and it really isn't.  Maybe it will develop over time, but he's not there yet with it.

Karr can't hit the 15 to 18 footer? 
Actually he can.  It's amazing that if he steps back from that he can't hit the side of a barn.
Karr hasn't been and issue the past 2 games.  With Dee out teams know he's our scoring option and are keying on him.  No issues with his jumper at all from there.

I didn't say he can't hit a 15 or 18 foot jump shot.  I said he can't consistently hit it.  And that becomes a problem when most of the time he settles for it instead of trying to drive to the basket.

I agree with you, JaKarr is the least of our problems.  He is the best player on the team right now and will without question take a step forward next year.  But his shot is flat and half the time he shoots it off balance.

He doesn't have the post moves.  That's sadly clear.  But coming out of HS he didn't have the jumper.  I saw him plenty of times and was frankly shocked how well he shot it this year.  Prep school paid off for that.  I'm happy if he is playing within his game and not trying to do something he cant.  We have enough guys doing that as is :)

desco80

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
In all aspects of the program right now, Lavin is not performing well. From a discipline standpoint and a coaching standpoint, this team has a lot of issues. Bad enough our play on the court was embarassing, but throw in a fight, and it's just total chaos.

I didn't expect NCAA bid this year, figured an NIT bid would be ok as long as the team showed improvement and finished strong. The finish to this season has been a disaster. Lavin's recruiting flaws are showing and his coaching flaws are also glaring. Can he recruit? Yes. But it's inexcusable to not have more perimeter scoring. His in game adjustments? As Digger said tonight, non-existent. You can blame young, you can blame whatever you want, but the team on the floor tonight was a reflection of the coach. And the incident is a reflection of the type of program that is developing.

Lavin has to get it together. The cracks are beginning to show.

Horsesh*t post. 
This team will be fantastic next year.  Harrison's was suspended to ensure that happens.  Sanchez is everything we needed up front and Obekpa and Sampson will come back as men.  Give Lavin one freaking year of having his own juniors...you guys are freaking crazy.

Marillac on the money 100%. Some posters think everything should be like Yankees. Instant gratification. It takes time to build something from rock bottom (i.e., losing 11 seniors in one year).

The current Indiana Hoosiers team lost 20 games in each of the seniors first two years.

Some posters on here just don't get. Either clueless or have hidden agendas!!!

Oh jeez, please!    Instant gratification?  Were you around last year?   
Most of us didn't expect too much from this team this year.   Be competitive, maybe make the tournament.  Coach started the year with a lot of slack from most of us.  A lot.   We knew how young the team was.

But 20 point losses?  just one win against a team better than us, no quality out of conference wins, Harrison suspended, Pointer fighting.... Asking for a little more than what we got is not outrageous.   

Poison

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »
In all aspects of the program right now, Lavin is not performing well. From a discipline standpoint and a coaching standpoint, this team has a lot of issues. Bad enough our play on the court was embarassing, but throw in a fight, and it's just total chaos.

I didn't expect NCAA bid this year, figured an NIT bid would be ok as long as the team showed improvement and finished strong. The finish to this season has been a disaster. Lavin's recruiting flaws are showing and his coaching flaws are also glaring. Can he recruit? Yes. But it's inexcusable to not have more perimeter scoring. His in game adjustments? As Digger said tonight, non-existent. You can blame young, you can blame whatever you want, but the team on the floor tonight was a reflection of the coach. And the incident is a reflection of the type of program that is developing.

Horsesh*t post. 
This team will be fantastic next year.  Harrison's was suspended to ensure that happens.  Sanchez is everything we needed up front and Obekpa and Sampson will come back as men.  Give Lavin one freaking year of having his own juniors...you guys are freaking crazy.

Marillac on the money 100%. Some posters think everything should be like Yankees. Instant gratification. It takes time to build something from rock bottom (i.e., losing 11 seniors in one year).

The current Indiana Hoosiers team lost 20 games in each of the seniors first two years.

Lavin didn't inherit rock bottom. Roberts did. And who is saying we should be like the Yankees? We've made the tournament once in the last 13 years. That blows.

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »

Horsesh*t post. 

Most of us didn't expect too much from this team this year.   Be competitive, maybe make the tournament.  Coach started the year with a lot of slack from most of us.  A lot.   We knew how young the team was.

But 20 point losses?  just one win against a team better than us, no quality out of conference wins, Harrison suspended, Pointer fighting.... Asking for a little more than what we got is not outrageous.   

Desco on the $

desco80

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
......with another year of maturation and some elder statesman (Sanchez and Gift) adding stability, 2013 will be a very good year IMHO.

GIFT STINKS!!!!!      a new basketball pump will be of more help to this team next year than he will.   
More than anything else we debate, I can't for the life of me understand why our fan base thinks GG will be a savior, or even prt of the answer.

He's done nothing to suggest he can help.   
Not a good rebounder.
Not a good defender.
Undersized for his position.   

Aaaahhhhhh
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:48:39 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
Marc-Antoine David Bourgault:
"Shit is getting outta control dawg"

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

Horsesh*t post. 

Desco on the $

Yes I was around and saw that Lavin had to go with all freshmen because knuckle head Roberts could not spread out scholarships. Then he loses his best player Harkless to the NBA. Kind of starting from scratch again.

You said "Most of us didn't expect too much from this team this year" ---so stop complaining

Desco is not on the money.

Moose

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
Marc-Antoine David Bourgault:
"Shit is getting outta control dawg"

I hear ya dawg.

paultzman

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
......with another year of maturation and some elder statesman (Sanchez and Gift) adding stability, 2013 will be a very good year IMHO.

GIFT STINKS!!!!!      a new basketball pump will be of more help to this team next year then he will.   
More than anything else we debate, I can't for the life of me understand why our fan base thinks GG will be a savior, or even prt of the answer.

Not a good rebounder.
Not a good defender.

Aaaahhhhhh

If Gift had tats and Mohawk, he would be on the shit list.

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »

GIFT STINKS!!!!!      a new basketball pump will be of more help to this team next year then he will.   

Not a good rebounder.
Not a good defender.

Aaaahhhhhh

Way too support your team..and BTW Gift does not suck and he is a great kid too. True gentleman and great representative of SJU.

boo3

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
 Lavin supposed to be on Boomer and Carton Friday morning...

desco80

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »

Horsesh*t post. 

Desco on the $

Yes I was around and saw that Lavin had to go with all freshmen because knuckle head Roberts could not spread out scholarships. Then he loses his best player Harkless to the NBA. Kind of starting from scratch again.

You said "Most of us didn't expect too much from this team this year" ---so stop complaining

Desco is not on the money.

Bill, why can't there be middle ground? 
When I say most of us didn't expect a lot, we also didn't expect 20 pt losses and the team falling apart discipline-wise.   
Can't I be upset about that?   
Or are my only options 1) expect nothing less than a sweet 16.  Or,  2) be satisfied with under .500 in conference play, several embarrassing blowouts, and a few terrible non conference losses? 

I would not be saying what I am if we had split the games with UNCA and USF,  grabbed two more wins in conference play, and were more competitive in any of our games vs Cuse, Georgetown, etc

Do I think we're far off?  No.   
Are we real close to being good?  Eh, I don't know about that.

But I truly don't think it's outrageous to have expected a little more from this team and staff so far.    I think that's a legitimate gripe. 

(Ps sorry about the GG comment.  I'm irrational when it comes to that subject lol).

Poison

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:19 AM »
There is nothing more maddening than the "they're young" excuse. Lavin made them young. That is 100% his fault. It's year 3. And he's proven to me that 2 years ago was a fluke. UCLA was right to fire him. He doesn't know what the F he's doing.

Moose

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »
Lavin supposed to be on Boomer and Carton Friday morning...

Carton I think is going to Marquette game he mentioned this am.
Said he would be draining 3's in Lavin's face before the game on Saturday but then said Lavin might punch him.