Dom Pointer - overall progress

• 95 replies
Re: Dom Pointer - overall progress
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
Could imagine Nick and D-lo in the same backcourt?   Haha... the old men at the other place would have already had meltdowns of epic proportions.

Don't see what the problem would be. He's not exactly a chuck. Seems to be doing fine alongside mark Lyons.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:39 PM »
Just for comparison purposes.  Rivals player in front of Dom was LaQuentin Ross.  Behind him was Alex Murphy.  I don't think this helps or hurts either point since Dom plays 10 more mpg.  Strong shooting % but we know its mostly not jumpers.  Food for thought.  I do know Ross can shoot though from seeing him.  Murphy could be disappointing but I thought he moved up from 12 class to 11.  Not sure if it was his natural class or just jumping early.

Ross sat out part of last year ala Amir.  Below are SOPH numbers.

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

Murphy sat out all last year.
7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
2.7 apg (most impressive IMO)
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line

Taking that farther - and I'm not arguing Dom is "great"  -  just that as a top 50, not really  overrated.   Others ahead of him in the consensus ratings included Josiah Turner and Nick Johnson of Arizona (I'd take Dom in a heartbeat over either - Turner's essentially of of basketball right now).  Levi Randolph of 'Bama.  Michael Gbinije at Duke (already "moving on" after a 5 min a game frosh year).    And those guys were all "top  THIRTY".   Top 50 WINGS  included  Nick Faust of Maryland.  Sam Thompson of Ohio State.  Ky Madden is a 4pt scorer at Arkansas this year.  Dai-Jon Parker at Vandy.  Dorian Finney-Smith at VT.   

Given the two year production/performace of all of the above, I don't see in any way Sir Dom's position was overrated.

CR are you not a fan of nick Johnson's game?  I like Dom a lot but I think I would choose nick.

Been following Nick since he was a frosh and Soph, playingh 2nd fiddle to BYU's PG Matt Carlino in high school.  He's a athletic kid (not quite the freak his dad was) with an inconsistent shot, and the basketball IQ and defensive instincts of a doorknob.   IF he was half the player Dom is, Arizona would have run away and hidden from the rest of the Pac 12 this year.  Zona with Nick can't stop Shabazz, Allan Crabbe or Spencer Dinwiddie.  Zona with Dom likely does.

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
Just for comparison purposes.  Rivals player in front of Dom was LaQuentin Ross.  Behind him was Alex Murphy.  I don't think this helps or hurts either point since Dom plays 10 more mpg.  Strong shooting % but we know its mostly not jumpers.  Food for thought.  I do know Ross can shoot though from seeing him.  Murphy could be disappointing but I thought he moved up from 12 class to 11.  Not sure if it was his natural class or just jumping early.

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line

Taking that farther - and I'm not arguing Dom is "great"  -  just that as a top 50, not really  overrated.   Others ahead of him in the consensus ratings included Josiah Turner and Nick Johnson of Arizona (I'd take Dom in a heartbeat over either - Turner's essentially of of basketball right now).  Levi Randolph of 'Bama.  Michael Gbinije at Duke (already "moving on" after a 5 min a game frosh year).    And those guys were all "top  THIRTY".   Top 50 WINGS  included  Nick Faust of Maryland.  Sam Thompson of Ohio State.  Ky Madden is a 4pt scorer at Arkansas this year.  Dai-Jon Parker at Vandy.  Dorian Finney-Smith at VT.   

Given the two year production/performace of all of the above, I don't see in any way Sir Dom's position was overrated.

CR are you not a fan of nick Johnson's game?  I like Dom a lot but I think I would choose nick.

Been following Nick since he was a frosh and Soph, playingh 2nd fiddle to BYU's PG Matt Carlino in high school.  He's a athletic kid (not quite the freak his dad was) with an inconsistent shot, and the basketball IQ and defensive instincts of a doorknob.   IF he was half the player Dom is, Arizona would have run away and hidden from the rest of the Pac 12 this year.  Zona with Nick can't stop Shabazz, Allan Crabbe or Spencer Dinwiddie.  Zona with Dom likely does.

Respect your opinion CR but will just have to disagree with you. Think your underrating his athleticism as well, kid is a freak.   

Moose

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
Could imagine Nick and D-lo in the same backcourt?   Haha... the old men at the other place would have already had meltdowns of epic proportions.

hahaha
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
Thanks CR for pulling out more examples.  I didn't have the time so just pulled the one above and below Dom.  There will be tons of examples and lots of factors to consider.  Dom is getting major minutes.  Maybe he puts out same output in less and it looks better.  Who knows.

crgreen

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line

Respect your opinion CR but will just have to disagree with you. Think your underrating his athleticism as well, kid is a freak.

Agree on his being athletic.  By your comment (on my comment) I can only assume you never saw Joey Johnson.  Kid's very athletic, but not close to his dad.

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 09:17:29 PM »

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line

Agree on his being athletic.  By your comment (on my comment) I can only assume you never saw Joey Johnson.  Kid's very athletic, but not close to his dad.

That assumption would be correct. Must have been some athlete.

crgreen

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »

That assumption would be correct. Must have been some athlete.
[/quote]

Joey Johnson had a confirmed 52 inch vertical as a senior at Arizona State.   For you oldtimers, Gus Johnson (no relation to Joey or Nick), one of the early NBA high risers, while in college took a dare in a little bar in Moscow Idaho (Corner Bar - it's still there, I think) - from a standing start, jump and touch a beam above the floor.   He did.   It was measured at 11'6".  That was back in 1963.  Owner hammerd a nail into the spot, and proclaimed free drinks for the house if anyone could duplicate the jump.      They painted a yellow 40 inch circle beneath the beam.  Had to jump with both feet inside the circle.   There were no free drinks for 23 years (and that included almost every Pac 8 conference player from 1963 thru 1986 - reportedly Bill Walton came closest) - till Joey showed up in Moscow, traveling thru with his College Of Sourthern Idaho JC team.   He not only touched the nail, he bent the sucker almost flat.   :)

By the way, Nick is 6'4 - same size as his hall of fame Uncle Dennis Johnson.  Joey was only listed at 6'3 (and was probably only 6'2).  If Nick had inherited his DAD's hops and his uncle's hoops IQ and defensive instincts - now THAT woulda been a scary combination!

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
He's not as good of a shooter, but Dom reminds me a lot of D.J. Kennedy. Does a lot of the little things on the court.

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:05 PM »
He's not as good of a shooter, but Dom reminds me a lot of D.J. Kennedy. Does a lot of the little things on the court.

They both contribute in a lot of ways but DJ was so much more under control. Something a lot of our guys need to work on.

bk8664

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »

They both contribute in a lot of ways but DJ was so much more under control. Something a lot of our guys need to work on.

I think Dom is a bit taller, and definitely stronger and more athletic.  no/yes?   However DJ was much more refined. With a lot of hard work maybe Dom can get there.  It will be fun to watch how he develops.

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »

I think Dom is a bit taller, and definitely stronger and more athletic.  no/yes?   However DJ was much more refined. With a lot of hard work maybe Dom can get there.  It will be fun to watch how he develops.

DJ wasn't refined/controlled until his junior year. I see a lot of potential in Pointer. He just needs to improve on the shooting.

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
First and foremost he needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »

DJ wasn't refined/controlled until his junior year. I see a lot of potential in Pointer. He just needs to improve on the shooting.

I think DJ was a very good player as a Soph. I recall him and Paris being our only good players in BE play.

crgreen

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »

One impressive stat relative to Dom's improvement THIS season:  First 17 games of the year, he pulled down 64 rebs - 3.7 per game.    Last 12 games, he's pulled down 98 -  8.1 per game.   

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »

I think the height is a wash, athleticism goes to pointer, but strength I'd give to DJ. Id put him up against anyone. Dom can be better than DJ by the time he graduates if he works hard enough. The potential is definitely there.

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:01 PM »

I think DJ was a very good player as a Soph. I recall him and Paris being our only good players in BE play.

Agree poison. DJ's soph year (not stat wise) would be the third best player on our team behind Dlo and jakarr. And he wouldn't be too far behind IMO.

Tha Kid

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I am a little drunk and on the train on my phone so I don't swear on these stats but it seems like last year 21 frosh and soph were taken in the draft - both rounds.  That would suggest that there are 21 special players in each class who get drafted within their first 2 yrs (assuming 2012 was a normal year).  If Dom averaged at 30 that would mean it would not be surprising for his rank to be accurate but NoT to be a top 2 round draft pick this year.  Lets wait until next year to evaluate but I'd say no, a top 50 or even top 30 is not supposed to be special by end of soph year necessarily. 
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:30 AM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I am a little drunk and on the train on my phone so I don't swear on these stats but it seems like last year 21 frosh and soph were taken in the draft - both rounds.  That would suggest that there are 21 special players in each class who get drafted within their first 2 yrs (assuming 2012 was a normal year).  If Dom averaged at 30 that would mean it would not be surprising for his rank to be accurate but NoT to be a top 2 round draft pick this year.  Lets wait until next year to evaluate but I'd say no, a top 50 or even top 30 is not supposed to be special by end of soph year necessarily. 

Hope you had a good night

By special does he have to be NBA player?

CC

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
First and foremost he needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble.

Excellent point, and they seem to come in bunches- he leads the league in getting two fouls within 30 seconds. And way too may fouls 30 feet from the hoop. On the positive side I bet he leads the team in charges taken.