Dom Pointer - overall progress

• 95 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Dom Pointer - overall progress
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I am a little drunk and on the train on my phone so I don't swear on these stats but it seems like last year 21 frosh and soph were taken in the draft - both rounds.  That would suggest that there are 21 special players in each class who get drafted within their first 2 yrs (assuming 2012 was a normal year).  If Dom averaged at 30 that would mean it would not be surprising for his rank to be accurate but NoT to be a top 2 round draft pick this year.  Lets wait until next year to evaluate but I'd say no, a top 50 or even top 30 is not supposed to be special by end of soph year necessarily. 

Hope you had a good night

By special does he have to be NBA player?

Thanks. No - but it's difficult to really quantify it any other way. I think on a team with some veteran leaders Dom could be considered special already. Next year will be big test for him.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
Joey Johnson had a confirmed 52 inch vertical as a senior at Arizona State.   For you oldtimers, Gus Johnson (no relation to Joey or Nick), one of the early NBA high risers, while in college took a dare in a little bar in Moscow Idaho (Corner Bar - it's still there, I think) - from a standing start, jump and touch a beam above the floor.   He did.   It was measured at 11'6".  That was back in 1963.  Owner hammerd a nail into the spot, and proclaimed free drinks for the house if anyone could duplicate the jump.      They painted a yellow 40 inch circle beneath the beam.  Had to jump with both feet inside the circle.   There were no free drinks for 23 years (and that included almost every Pac 8 conference player from 1963 thru 1986 - reportedly Bill Walton came closest) - till Joey showed up in Moscow, traveling thru with his College Of Sourthern Idaho JC team.   He not only touched the nail, he bent the sucker almost flat. 

Good story and well told. It has a great interior rhyme scheme, very quote the Raven:

You oldtimers,
early risers,
Gus in college
took a dare 
a little bar
in Idaho
a corner Bar
it still stands there 

from a standing
start and jump
Gus touched a beam
above the floor. 

That was back in 64. 

Owner hammer'd
nailed the spot
and promised free drinks
for the room
if anyone
could duplicate
and so they waited
in the gloom

painted they a yellow circle
Had to jump with both feet in
no free drinks for 20 years
who came the closest?
Bill Walton

Joey showed up
down in Moscow,
traveled thru with CSI   
touched the nail
and bent the sucker
earned the room
a belt of rye

Poison

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I am a little drunk and on the train on my phone so I don't swear on these stats but it seems like last year 21 frosh and soph were taken in the draft - both rounds.  That would suggest that there are 21 special players in each class who get drafted within their first 2 yrs (assuming 2012 was a normal year).  If Dom averaged at 30 that would mean it would not be surprising for his rank to be accurate but NoT to be a top 2 round draft pick this year.  Lets wait until next year to evaluate but I'd say no, a top 50 or even top 30 is not supposed to be special by end of soph year necessarily. 

Thanks. No - but it's difficult to really quantify it any other way. I think on a team with some veteran leaders Dom could be considered special already. Next year will be big test for him.

Couldn't "special" mean that the player actually accomplishes something in college?

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »

Couldn't "special" mean that the player actually accomplishes something in college?

As in Marcus Hatten

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
 Who is our script writer?

“@STJ_Basketball: Sir'Dominic Pointer: "I apologize for losing my composure at Notre Dame and for my part in the fight late in the game." #stjbb”

“@STJ_Basketball: Sir'Dominic Pointer: “I pride myself in my on-court intensity and toughness, but I know I cannot allow it to get to that level.” #stjbb”

“@STJ_Basketball: Sir'Dominic Pointer: “I accept my suspension for the Marquette game.” #stjbb”

“@STJ_Basketball: Sir'Dominic Pointer: “As a leader I know that it's important to set a good example.” #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
Coach, I hope you are writing this from your car heading to Philly to get Jordan.

“@STJCoachLavin: The objective is to play each game with purposeful intensity... #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: ... And a cohesiveness that will allow us to play a winning brand of basketball that best represents St. John’s. #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: Congrats to Sir Dominic Pointer on receiving the Most Improved Player Award tonight. Well deserved!”

Poison

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: Congrats to Sir Dominic Pointer on receiving the Most Improved Player Award tonight. Well deserved!”

What is this award? Who gave it to him? Lavin?

paultzman

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »

What is this award? Who gave it to him? Lavin?

SJU annual awards ceremony for all sports I believe. Assume coaching staff decided.

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »

So Phil Greene goes from afterthought to co-MVP and doesn't get most improved?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »

I'm not sure Phil Greene was ever an afterthought.  The staff loves the kid and he played big minutes both years.

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »

I'm not sure Phil Greene was ever an afterthought.  The staff loves the kid and he played big minutes both years.

Forget who may be the better player. Who had a better year?

My point is that if Phil Greene went from where he was to being the co MVP of the team, then he would have to be most improved.

Pointer showed greater improvement and was the better player IMO.

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »

Staff decides.  It's customary to spread them around and not give multiple awards to same player.

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

Joining a program with 0 returning players, the departure of Nuri, JBs transfer/injury & the issues surrounding Dee, Phil's value has been nothing short of enormous.  Ask CO or Sheed about Phil, or Ron Linfonte about playing every night in pain.  He's coachs fav for good reason.  If there is one kid that deserves a special season, it's him

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »

Joining a program with 0 returning players, the departure of Nuri, JBs transfer/injury & the issues surrounding Dee, Phil's value has been nothing short of enormous.  Ask CO or Sheed about Phil, or Ron Linfonte about playing every night in pain.  He's coachs fav for good reason.  If there is one kid that deserves a special season, it's him

It was not my intent to bash Phil. Just that if Phil IMPROVED enough to become coMVP than he should be the most improved player.

Prior to the season if there was a poll taken on who would be our MVP, Phil would have been an afterthought.

ras

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

I agree w you that Lavin loves Phil and that is why he got coMVP. I believe Dom deserved it more,has a more well balanced game and is the glue guy. Maybe next year well see why Lavin loves Phil so much. No disrespect to Phil ,I havent figured it out by watching him this year.

Moose

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
Shocked Lipscomb didn't get co-MVP
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

Just wait till next year.   Debates about who should be playing and how much are going to represent 90% of the posts next season.   
And that's just concerning scholarship players.   If a walkon gets minutes again?  Heads might explode.(Including my own)

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
Next year?

TONYD3

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »
I love what Dom brings to the table. He has definitely improved. He will be a player we remember fondly after he leaves. However, I am no scout. But he was way overrated coming out of hs. How can a wing player be rated to high who couldnt dribble or shoot?
Think he has good junior and hopefully a great senior year for us