Dom Pointer - overall progress

• 95 replies

crgreen

Re: Dom Pointer - overall progress
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 01:43:08 AM »
I love what Dom brings to the table. He has definitely improved. He will be a player we remember fondly after he leaves. However, I am no scout. But he was way overrated coming out of hs. How can a wing player be rated to high who couldnt dribble or shoot?
Think he has good junior and hopefully a great senior year for us

Because he absolutely DOMINATED his position at the things he COULD do.

jr49

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
I think Dom 's confidence took a hit at D1 level. Two years for skills and confidence to sky. Will take a whole lot of work, but I see him playing pro ball.

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »
i agree, jr49.  pointer will make a whole lot of money!

TONYD3

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
Dribbling and shooting are two important things. He has improved considerably since he got here. No where close to dominating.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
We really need Dom to take off to reach our full potential. 

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
I love the fire and hustle that pointer brings. Not trying to hate in him either. But he is not as talented as dj or postel. And they didn't make the NBA. Hope he proves me wrong.

ras

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
Dom was only a SO. Lets compare him to DJ after his SR yr.

jr49

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
I love the fire and hustle that pointer brings. Not trying to hate in him either. But he is not as talented as dj or postel. And they didn't make the NBA. Hope he proves me wrong.
Tony, know way I can know for sure, but I think he's always going to be a plus player for us in those plus minus ratings they keep. It's a good stat when you think of a guy who's game has intangibles. Of course if a guy gets you 15 boards a game you don't have to dig as much. 

pmg911

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »

Can you define "making the NBA" a little better bbecause Postel played 3 years in the league.

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »

I love DJ, but he doesn't have a tenth of Pointer's physical attributes.  Dom has the potential to absolutely blow up. 

« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

I love DJ, but he doesn't have a tenth of Pointer's physical attributes.  Dom has the potential to absolutely blow up.

DJ SHOULD be in the league and will be. GMs are fickle, why else would the Hornets have to suffer through nearly a whole season of Austin Rivers starting at sg?

TONYD3

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
I am not looking to argue. Pointer was like a top 35 overall recuit. I thought we were getting a stud. He has not been. He has been much better the end of last year. I think he will be a very good 4 year player for us. He is no Ron artest. He is a wing player who can't shoot. In the NBA back up power forwards are good shooters. I like pointer, love what he brings to the table. Still i think he was very over rated coming out of hs.
Dj and postel. Two of my favorites. In my opinion, better basketball players then pointer. Still not NBA guys. As much as I love postell. Not going to goggle how many games he played. He did not make it in NBA.
Dj as a sophomore was the best player on a bad team. Without Harrison we are a bad team. Think dj is better. Dj was a top 150 player. Pointer was a top 40 player. Pointer is a great athlete. Not a great basketball player. Again hope he proves me wrong.

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
I am not looking to argue. Pointer was like a top 35 overall recuit. I thought we were getting a stud. He has not been. He has been much better the end of last year. I think he will be a very good 4 year player for us. He is no Ron artest. He is a wing player who can't shoot. In the NBA back up power forwards are good shooters. I like pointer, love what he brings to the table. Still i think he was very over rated coming out of hs.
Dj and postel. Two of my favorites. In my opinion, better basketball players then pointer. Still not NBA guys. As much as I love postell. Not going to goggle how many games he played. He did not make it in NBA.
Dj as a sophomore was the best player on a bad team. Without Harrison we are a bad team. Think dj is better. Dj was a top 150 player. Pointer was a top 40 player. Pointer is a great athlete. Not a great basketball player. Again hope he proves me wrong.

Agree with a lot of what you wrote. I loved DJ. There's a ton that Dom could learn from him, maybe most importantly is his patience and composer.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »

Agree with a lot of what you wrote. I loved DJ. There's a ton that Dom could learn from him, maybe most importantly is his patience and composer.

Dom is a better athlete than DJ ever was, but DJ was the better basketball player in college, at least thus far.  But I think Dom can surpass DJ in all respects by his senior year based on his freakishly sudden and dramatic improvement last season.

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »

Dom is a better athlete than DJ ever was, but DJ was the better basketball player in college, at least thus far.  But I think Dom can surpass DJ in all respects by his senior year based on his freakishly sudden and dramatic improvement last season.

No doubt that the door is not closed on Dom. He can be as good as he wants to be.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I loved LaVarr Postell and that 1999-2000 era, but he only stayed on the Knicks roster because of Van Gundy. When he got light, he had a couple of headline games. Truth is, I don't think he played eighty games during the three years.