A Well Coached Team..

• 31 replies
A Well Coached Team..
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
  We are seeing first hand in these NCAA'S that having decently skilled basketball players, excellent coaching in game and out and, a team able to play defense can go far. Plus, at least one player who can shoot.

You need to have players whose skills are complimentary to each other and everyone knows their roles.

I think we've seen too much has been made of player's athletic abilities and, not basketball skills.College basketball isn't a AAU game and no points are granted for leaping ability or soaring thru the air.

paultzman

Re: A Well Coached Team..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
  We are seeing first hand in these NCAA'S that having decently skilled basketball players, excellent coaching in game and out and, a team able to play defense can go far. Plus, at least one player who can shoot.

You need to have players whose skills are complimentary to each other and everyone knows their roles.

I think we've seen too much has been made of player's athletic abilities and, not basketball skills.College basketball isn't a AAU game and no points are granted for leaping ability or soaring thru the air.

Amen Foxx!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Also a lot of 4 year players

desco80

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
In my mind "extremely athletic" recruits are becoming akin to 5-tool baseball prospects.   Highly touted, rarely pan out, and aren't good at the specific skills required to succeed in that sport.

ras

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

It is very important to get complimentary pieces. We have too many players w the same skill set.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
I thought this thread was about Temple when I first saw it just now.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
In my mind "extremely athletic" recruits are becoming akin to 5-tool baseball prospects.   Highly touted, rarely pan out, and aren't good at the specific skills required to succeed in that sport.

We need some three tool players. Pass, dribble and shoot.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »

Our guys can dribble :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »

Just give me the last one and call it a day!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
I'm a younger fan, so I wonder...have you guys witnessed any worse shooting teams than this one ever in our history? I mean how much worse can it get? This team is alarmingly consistent in the 10-15% 3PT shooting and 33-35% FG%.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »
I'm a younger fan, so I wonder...have you guys witnessed any worse shooting teams than this one ever in our history? I mean how much worse can it get? This team is alarmingly consistent in the 10-15% 3PT shooting and 33-35% FG%.

The 1926 Johnnies averaged only 10 points a game on 20% shooting.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
if there are any worse...i can't remember.

desco80

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »
Are we a good shooting team?  Obviously we're not.
But I have more of a problem with our lack of ball movement and execution than anything else.

UVA wasn't firing away from the perimeter.   They scored more points in the paint than us (34-26).   Scored more points off transition than us (8-2).   And they got to the line a lot more (24 fts to our 10).

I know we can't control the officiating, but everything else is on us.   We're supposed to be the more athletic team and the one playing high intensity defense.   
Our game is not Amir sizing a defender up from 18ft and taking a jumpshot. 

You don't need great shooters if you score in transition, drive to the basket, and get to the line.   That's supposed to be our recipe, and yet our opponents did it a lot better today. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:00:09 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
But I have more of a problem with our lack of ball movement and execution than anything else.

UVA wasn't firing away from the perimeter.   They scored more points in the paint then us (34-26).   Scored more points off transition than us (8-2).   And they got to the line a lot more (24 fts to our 10).

I know we can't control the officiating, but everything else is on us.   We're supposed to be the more athletic team and the one playing high intensity defense.   

You don't need great shooters if you score in transition, drive to the basket, and get to the line.   That's supposed to be our recipe, and yet our opponents did it a lot better today. 

Agree 100%
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
The only problem, Desco, is that when team know that you can't hit a jumper, they pack it inside and take everything else away.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
The only problem, Desco, is that when team know that you can't hit a jumper, they pack it inside and take everything else away.

I'm with you, I understand.   Easier said than done.   
I just think our game-plan has to start with penetration and quicker ball movement.     If defenses had to collapse around Branch/Greene, then I think our shooting might look a little better.   
But I know it works both ways.   If we hit a few more shots then defenses would have to play tighter and it'd be easier to to the rim.   

Either way, mission 1, 2 and 3 for this summer has to be running half court sets as much as possible. 

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 01:25:54 AM »

UVA wasn't firing away from the perimeter.   They scored more points in the paint than us (34-26).   Scored more points off transition than us (8-2).   And they got to the line a lot more (24 fts to our 10).

Completely agree. Also for a very athletic team we dont run a very good fast break

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »

Norm Roberts' first few years saw some dismal shooting... 2005-06 we shot 26% from 3pt, 41% from field...

Everyone continues to say we need shooters and that is certainly valid but something that I believe many are missing and what every other team that advanced has, is a low post presence.... This is the first St. John's team that I can remember that has absolutely no low post presence... we need a big man who can play with his back to the rim...  Even in the Jarvis/Roberts years we had someone who could do that (Anthony Glover, Lamont Hamilton, Justin Brownlee) and for some reason our bigs don't do that now...

Aside from heart and great team play, it is my opinion that the 2010-11 team made their run because they had at least one good low post option (Brownlee) and one good 3 point option (Hardy)...

Can Obekpa turn into this low post threat?  Maybe Sanchez?  Hope so....

kob24

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
you guys haven't been watching Florida gulf coast have you? ALL ATHLETES. Same with San Diego State

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
you guys haven't been watching Florida gulf coast have you? ALL ATHLETES. Same with San Diego State

Better spacing and PG heady play, at least in FGCU case IMO.