Johnnies or Red Storm

• 72 replies

Moose

Re: Johnnies or Red Storm
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »
Redo this survey and add Redmen.  Lets see what the JJ fan base thinks.

If Johnnies wins look into using the Chuck Berry classic 'Go Johnny Go' as a musical back up [with some lyrics updates]

Why though?
We will never be the Redmen again so its not worth deflecting the true vote.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
Sucks the pelicans has been taken.

I don't like either choice but the red storm has been a bad omen to this program.

Tha Kid

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
Johnnies is great as a fan appointed nickname...not as the official nickname of the team though.  I don't like Red Storm but it's better than Johnnies.  Can't we come up with something better that can actually have a recognizable mascot...?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »
The ST John's Johnnies! We could have a port o potty as our mascot. This would def have been appropriate during the Norm years.

uwsfan

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »
I still like "Red" or "Reds". It works for Cuse and Stanford and is better than the other two options.

Otherwise perhaps try and find something uniquely New York themed

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »
I might be the only one who likes the name Redstorm. Its unique, would hate to be another Tigers or Wildcats.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
I might be the only one who likes the name Redstorm. Its unique, would hate to be another Tigers or Wildcats.

It is.  And you can do a lot of unique marketing things with it.  One funny shirt that the younger generation will get I saw a few students wearing at games last year.  It said- "We don't make it rain, we make it storm". 
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

It is.  And you can do a lot of unique marketing things with it.  One funny shirt that the younger generation will get I saw a few students wearing at games last year.  It said- "We don't make it rain, we make it storm".

That shirt is awesome, I've been wanting one... Whoever is voting for the Johnnies, please tell me what can you do with St. John's Johnnies from a marketing and advertising stand point? get Johnned by the Johnnies? the John's are coming? fear the John's? yea, the Johnnies are really striking fear in their opponents?... I really hope they dont pick that, if so, it might be a harvard case study one day of advertising gone wrong.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
If we can't have Redmen I'd prefer just plain St. John's whose players are referred to as "Johnnies."

I must admit that I find "Red Storm" grating - unimaginative, faux trendy and uninspiring.

PIB

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
Red Storm, yeah that's stupid.

I prefer Redmen, then Johnnies.

sju89tr

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
I hate the proposed logos and I hate Johnnies as well. Maybe I am just a guy stuck in the 80's but Redmen is the only option for me and would rather just stay with Red Storm at this point as Redmen ain't happening. 

Poison

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
If we can't have Redmen I'd prefer just plain St. John's whose players are referred to as "Johnnies."

I must admit that I find "Red Storm" grating - unimaginative, faux trendy and uninspiring.

Spot on. If you look at the "St.John's" on Chris Mullin's jersey, that is where we need to be. If they must be the Red Storm, then at least have a mascot that makes some sense. Like a lightning bolt.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:37:16 PM by Poison »

redslope

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
What I find interesting is that the school in its endeavor to be PC when they dropped the true nickname, Redmen, have chosen the Thunder Bird which is a symbol in Native American lore.  Go figure??

ras

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
As long as we win and are perennial top 25, The nickname doesn't make much of a difference to me. Due to tradition and winning I was quite fond of Redmen,however.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
Red Storm is the old communist Army invading Europe, so I find it offensive as an Army brat/ American/ and a catholic...Since Communists do not believe in God...

In Any case Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!
'Merca!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
you mean Tom Clancy's book? because I think what you might be referring to is the Red Army.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:05:16 AM by RedZone Redmen »

MCNPA

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 08:09:42 AM »
I hate the proposed logos and I hate Johnnies as well. Maybe I am just a guy stuck in the 80's but Redmen is the only option for me and would rather just stay with Red Storm at this point as Redmen ain't happening.

+1. Redmen or bust if it is to be changed.  If not, then stay Red Storm or just Storm and redesign it a bit.  I too like a lightning bolt mascot.

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »

+1. Redmen or bust if it is to be changed.  If not, then stay Red Storm or just Storm and redesign it a bit.  I too like a lightning bolt mascot.

Why not a mascot similar to Thor?

Thor is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, the protection of mankind. From Wikipedia

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
What I find interesting is that the school in its endeavor to be PC when they dropped the true nickname, Redmen, have chosen the Thunder Bird which is a symbol in Native American lore.  Go figure??

If Native Americans are offended by Redmen they should be infuriated by us adopting a Thunderbird as our mascot. This supernatural creature looms at the apex of the tree of life and is a wrathful and vindictive deity. Usurping such a venerable symbol is predatory and sacrilegious.

Unless we repent and make amends divine retribution will come in the form of a winless season and a joyless life for any miscreant who mocks at this immortal by relegating him to the role of a carnival clown.

Oh ye of little faith.   

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
Early 90s when I attended SJU, I voted for red storm out of red riders, red dragon and so on..