Mascot Preference

• 40 replies

crgreen

Re: Mascot Preference
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »
How about Jessica Alba, in RED spandex instead of blue?  Even at my age I'd be rooting a little stronger.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
How about Jessica Alba, in RED spandex instead of blue?  Even at my age I'd be rooting a little stronger.

We're already invisible.

redslope

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
I want a "Brave" mascot--bring back the guy in the red tux; he was really brave to wear that :)

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
Does someone have a pic of guy in Red Tux?  I've heard many mention him but never seen him in any old pics. 

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
Does someone have a pic of guy in Red Tux?  I've heard many mention him but never seen him in any old pics. 
He is like Bigfoot. Seen by few talked about by many

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 01:16:22 AM »
He is like Bigfoot. Seen by few talked about by many

If I had not seen him with my own eyes, I might not believe it.  Had the tux with the tail and a top hat.

LJSA

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 02:49:34 AM »
We should have an exact replica of each opponent's mascot, except in red.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
red suit. be careful he may look like this.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
Either keep the bird if he flaps his wings like the St. Joes bird all game with no break.  If not Bring Back the Indian (Native American that is)

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »
What about the women?! Redmen is both sexist and racist and therefore worse then Hitler :crazy2:

FYI -

The women's teams were called the Express back in the day. Logo was a train.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/16/sports/st-john-s-women-are-winners-too.html

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
All credit goes to redken on the other board. I think the best idea idea I've heard is an apple.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »
All credit goes to redken on the other board. I think the best idea idea I've heard is an apple.

To fight the Cuse Orange?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »

I wrote that in on the survey when it first went out. Jus wish there was a type of apple that sounded good but I couldn't think of one.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

To fight the Cuse Orange?

To represent New York City better than a school five hours away near the Canadian border.  And yes it also happens to be a fruit, a red one.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
What about the women?! Redmen is both sexist and racist and therefore worse then Hitler :crazy2:

It's disgraceful.

What about the men being called Johns and the women Madames?

That has a history behind it, a nice ring to it and - I can assure you - would be no worse than me.
A. Schicklgruber.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
This political correctness makes me and many other people crazy. We were Redmen forever
and no one complained, and now we have group after group crying that we are hurting their sensitivities. Toughen up, stop this me me me view of things. Let's grab a name and embrace it. The important thing our the kids and what kind of teams we put out there!
The Big East needs a strong SJU program!

LJSA

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
This political correctness makes me and many other people crazy. We were Redmen forever
and no one complained, and now we have group after group crying that we are hurting their sensitivities. Toughen up, stop this me me me view of things. Let's grab a name and embrace it. The important thing our the kids and what kind of teams we put out there!

How about the Red Micks? Or Red Guineas? No one here is offended, right?

PIB

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »

No.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »

No.

Easy to say when those names haven't actually been used; aren't as intrinsically tied to prejudice, hatred and violence; and those groups haven't been driven to near extinction and rendered to living on Reservations.

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
No. That's not true. "They" didn't pick up the idea of an Indian; the students did. Some of the guys from the college permanently "borrowed" a cigar store Indian from a tobacco store and used it as an unofficial mascot.  The university never endorsed Black Jack, as it was called, and in fact, kept it hidden in a locker to avoid a connection with the Native American icon and the school, as well as to keep it from being stolen before a big game........a common practice at the time
The "redmen" name came from Grantland Rice, a famous sports writer from The Times who used the appellation in the late 20's, describing our championship football team dressed entirely in red.
In my time at StJ, I saw Black Jack once at one game with Fordham and that appearance was inspired by the Booster (student council) club. It was in 1957 and, to my knowledge, was the last public appearance. He was in a yearbook around 1956 but I  suspect it is now in someone's home or in an antique shop. The AD, Mr.Mac would have nothing to do with it and kept it stored.
In the late 50's, college basketball in NYC was king along with the Yankees. Various students from Zeta Sigma Pi and Tau  Alpha Upsilon appeared on the court regularly in an effort to build spirit and provide a mascot in a world that was growing with live characters (St. Joe's Hawk, WKy's "Blob" (?), WVa's Mountaineer, etc.)  It had nothing to do with Aboriginal culture, or our first peoples,  but it ultimately became translated as being offensive to society as a whole.
Had we , as students, focused on the dignity of a local tribe of natives as was the case with Florida State, we might still have our loose connection with Indians; but, we didn't.
The best course now has been suggested by MCNPA. Go with Storm, the bird, (for the kids and PR appearances), and live with the fact that we will always be the Johnnies to sportscasters and old grads alike.
Wanna have some fun? Try to come up with the names of the guys who heisted the wooden Indian in the twenties or thirties. I knew one of  them who wound up in a sports hall of fame.